6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tires - advice needed....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Tires - advice needed....

Howdy! I have a 2011 4x4 F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroker with the factory 18's (tires and wheels). Before our long trip up to Colorado this summer, I need to replace the tires. The tire size is LT275/70R18 (E rated).

Any suggestions on a good replacement tire. I don't do a lot of offroading with 95% of the miles being highway (daily commuter plus towing my 5th wheel camper). I want a good tread life and a quiet riding tire.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
The best set of 18s I ever had was the set of Goodyear Silent Armors I put on my '05. Quiet on the road, great tread wear, and they were outstanding in the snow (may not be a problem in Austin ). Of course, they replaced the Continentals that were on there from the factory so pretty much anything was an improvement.

My usage was pretty much identical to yours and I had excellent service out of them.

Wrangler SilentArmor Tires | Goodyear Tires

Last edited by powerstroke72; 03-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those silent armors are good tires. I may be going back to them later this year.

I also like Bridgestone dueler a/t Revo 2.

The stock Michelin a/t 2 tires are pretty good also, some folks have problems but I did not.

Some folks like nitto terra grappler tires but I've seen them get un even wear and noisy, more folks will comment on them and they are worth a look too.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
My Nitto Terra Grapplers are wearing fast but I do like them and they certainly aren't silent.
If I went back to OEM sized tires, I would get an E rated Michelin since some models have the tire wear warranty.
Going back would also bring my MPG back that I lost with the Nitto's.

The Nitto's look great on my truck though so looks may overtake common sense the next time I need tires until I get tired of 13 MPG.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Those silent armors are good tires. I may be going back to them later this year.

I also like Bridgestone dueler a/t Revo 2.

The stock Michelin a/t 2 tires are pretty good also, some folks have problems but I did not.

Some folks like nitto terra grappler tires but I've seen them get un even wear and noisy, more folks will comment on them and they are worth a look too.
My Michelin a/t 2's started showing wear on r/f (light amount) when I rotated them at 5k any suggestions? U seem to be pretty knowledgeable!
Thanks in advance and I am not trying to Interrupt this discussion.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Pacman51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto Terra's suck! 20,000 - 25,000 miles if your lucky.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacman51
Nitto Terra's suck! 20,000 - 25,000 miles if your lucky.
I've read plenty where these make it over 40k and I'm partially with you, I don't see it happening.
I'm at 20k now but I'll be lucky if I make it to 30k.
They don't suck as they are great off pavement but don't seem to last as well as I thought.
Tires will be a difficult decision next time.
Heavy truck and some towing seem to destroy these tires.
Part of this is my fault though as I have not been diligent with rotating these on schedule.

My brother has D rated Nitto Terra's on his F150 and I bet he'll make 45k+ as his are wearing great, but no towing and lighter truck obviously.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
My Michelin a/t 2's started showing wear on r/f (light amount) when I rotated them at 5k any suggestions? U seem to be pretty knowledgeable!
Thanks in advance and I am not trying to Interrupt this discussion.
I get tires every year so I've tried lots of brands.

If you keep the pressures at 70-74psi and rotate every 5-7,000 miles you should be fine. Front wear usually is just repetitive city driving. I've had 4 super duty trucks and never once did any of them ever need an alignment.

I'm not that knowledgeable but all I will tell you is what I do. High tire pressures and rotate a lot. Unusual wear pattern usually evens out after a while.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Bad news.....they aren't making the Silent Armors for our 20" wheels according to Goodyear's site. I just checked and they list three tires:

Search For Tires | Goodyear Tires

Dura Trac, Wrangler AT/S, and Wrangler MT/R. It's a shame too because I would love to have another set of them. Looks like Darren and Trent have had real success with the Dura Trac so I'll probably end up going with them eventually.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 AM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad news.....they aren't making the Silent Armors for our 20" wheels according to Goodyear's site. I just checked and they list three tires:

Sisnce GasCan was looking for 18" tires, he should be good with the Silent Armors! The rest with 20" wheel options may be out of luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
I get tires every year so I've tried lots of brands.

If you keep the pressures at 70-74psi and rotate every 5-7,000 miles you should be fine. Front wear usually is just repetitive city driving. I've had 4 super duty trucks and never once did any of them ever need an alignment.

I'm not that knowledgeable but all I will tell you is what I do. High tire pressures and rotate a lot. Unusual wear pattern usually evens out after a while.
Thanks for your help it's appreciated!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys for all of the great feedback and advice. Looks like I have a lot of good choices:
- Michelin LTX M/S2
- Michelin LTX A/T2
- Cooper Discoverer A/T3
- Firestone Transforce A/T
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2
- BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A
- BF Goodrich All -Terrain T/A KO

I have three concerns on selecting tires:

1) highway noise from the tires - I hate loud sounding tires
2) Good towing characteristics
3) tread-life (I understand that towing will reduce treadlife)

Gotta figure out the right balance.

Now I just have to make a decision.... I need to go read some reviews, etc.

-gascan

Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
The Bridgestone and Michelin both performed very well for me. I like the Revo for better off road grip.

Have not tried the others.

The duratrac's and nittos I currently have are pretty loud on the road, but wear life has been good.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Native Tex
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gascan
Howdy! I have a 2011 4x4 F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroker with the factory 18's (tires and wheels). Before our long trip up to Colorado this summer, I need to replace the tires. The tire size is LT275/70R18 (E rated).

Any suggestions on a good replacement tire. I don't do a lot of offroading with 95% of the miles being highway (daily commuter plus towing my 5th wheel camper). I want a good tread life and a quiet riding tire.

Thanks,
Chris
I have always gotten excellent service out of Cooper Tires on my last three Ford Diesels. They are made in the USA too and price wise more reasonable than others.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Native Tex
I have always gotten excellent service out of Cooper Tires on my last three Ford Diesels. They are made in the USA too and price wise more reasonable than others.
Thanks for the info. Which Cooper Tire did you have - Discoverer A/T3? Did you do any 5th wheel or gooseneck towing?

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: Tires - advice needed....