Sponsored by: Moser

Torque converter failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM
RA071623
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter failure

Hi everyone. I have a 2010 F150 Supercrew 4WD which has been maintained and never abused, but at 117000 highway km (Canada) the torque converter failed and it cost me $3000 to replace it (not at the dealer). That is just 17000km over the power train warranty. Dealer and Ford will not help...I think it was defective...anyone else have this problem? How can the tires (original factory installed) and brakes outlast the tranny?? I am very discouraged as it is my first new vehicle!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lemons just slip threw and hope thats all it will need till you tow it off to the dump or trade it in!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
i'm not overly surprised.

the TC lockup program is extremely soft, and i've counted a full 3 seconds to go from unlock to full lock on my 2010 at work.

you are also not the first. there have been a couple other reports of 2009 and 2010's which have gotten up there in miles and had the same or similar issues. Most seem to be ok, but i think this type of failure is going to become more common as the 09's and 10's start to see some miles.

I've said it since the 1'st time i drove my 2010 ... the transmission in these trucks do not lend themselves to be a 200k mile transmission the way they are currently programmed.

not real big on giving advice or telling others what to do, but if it were mine i would protect my new $3000 Torque Converter with a custom transmssion tune which provides a more positive and quicker TC lockup ... quicker shifts would not be a bad thing for these either as they tend to slide from gear to gear.

Mike at 5-star tuning has a reputation on this sight for providing great customer service and satisfaction.

What urkes me the most is i recently got to ride in a '12 chevy Tahoe equiped with GM's version of the ZF design 6-sp. For all practical purposes the Ford and GM designs are twins, aside from a slight variation in gear ratios. The big difference is the way they are programmed. the tahoe had the ford beaten in transmission function hands-down. it shifted quickly and smoothly and locked the converter at the right time in a brisk fassion while being completly seamless in operation....

why does this urk me? ... because i donot think that ford owners should have to spend hundreds of dollars in the aftermarket to make thier trucks operate as well as a GM.... but... i guess that's the way it is.

i'd get a tuner, if it were my truck.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
i'm not overly surprised.

the TC lockup program is extremely soft, and i've counted a full 3 seconds to go from unlock to full lock on my 2010 at work.

you are also not the first. there have been a couple other reports of 2009 and 2010's which have gotten up there in miles and had the same or similar issues. Most seem to be ok, but i think this type of failure is going to become more common as the 09's and 10's start to see some miles.

I've said it since the 1'st time i drove my 2010 ... the transmission in these trucks do not lend themselves to be a 200k mile transmission the way they are currently programmed.

not real big on giving advice or telling others what to do, but if it were mine i would protect my new $3000 Torque Converter with a custom transmssion tune which provides a more positive and quicker TC lockup ... quicker shifts would not be a bad thing for these either as they tend to slide from gear to gear.

Mike at 5-star tuning has a reputation on this sight for providing great customer service and satisfaction.
I do not think that ford owners should have to spend hundreds of dollars in the aftermarket to make thier trucks operate as well as a GM.... but... i guess that's the way it is.

i'd get a tuner, if it were my truck.
^^^ This is pretty much the reason I got an SCT for my truck after only ~1 yr. Didn't like the shifting which was slightly magnified after the bigger tires. I have said it a few dozen times, Mike will hook you up. I hate the week I have to run my stock tune when I have to take my truck in for state inspection- which is sometime in the next month ( only due to emissions). It rows through the gears quickly and bogs on hills. I much prefer Mikes shifting strategy, and a little extra oomph doesn't hurt either