Carb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
sweetlou1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb replacement

On my stock 390, can I remove the 2 barrel carb, use the same iron intake manifold and put new a 4 barrel carb on this engine?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM
hotstuff
Senior User
I wouldn't recommend it , whats the reason just asking ?

Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM
sweetlou1
Senior User
Originally Posted by hotstuff
I wouldn't recommend it , whats the reason just asking ?
I read from another post I had that there really is no difference with that iron horse vrs an Edlebrock for example. That is because I am not going to open this engine up to change internal parts. At least not yet. I just want to change some basic things like the exhaust, ignition system and change the carb & manifold. So again does it really matter on the manifold in this case?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:40 PM
sweetlou1
Senior User
I think the old intake is a 2 barrel since there is a 2 barrel carburator on this already. I thought it was a 2 barrel carb on a 4 barrel intake. Hey what do I know. I will go with an aluminum intake when I change the carb.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
The comment about iron manifolds is the Ford "S" or "T" iron 4bbl manifolds being plenty good for your motor, or even a slightly warmer verison.

Leave the 2bbl in place for now.

If you want to start the improvement process before opening the motor, start with headers and a good dual or large single exhaust. That alone will give noticable results.

Check your carb for size. Thisy here tells how:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eral-info.html

If for some reason (like maybe my dad or his clone owned your truck at some point....) you have a 1.02 or 1.08 on there, put a 1.23 or 1.33 in it's place. Again, noticable difference for next to nothing. Same manifold. That'll get you by for a while. Serving suggestion, ymmv

Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 PM
sweetlou1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
The comment about iron manifolds is the Ford "S" or "T" iron 4bbl manifolds being plenty good for your motor, or even a slightly warmer verison.

Leave the 2bbl in place for now.

If you want to start the improvement process before opening the motor, start with headers and a good dual or large single exhaust. That alone will give noticable results.

Check your carb for size. Thisy here tells how:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eral-info.html

If for some reason (like maybe my dad or his clone owned your truck at some point....) you have a 1.02 or 1.08 on there, put a 1.23 or 1.33 in it's place. Again, noticable difference for next to nothing. Same manifold. That'll get you by for a while. Serving suggestion, ymmv
Thanks for the advice. My question would be why is your suggestion better than changing the manifold and going to 4 barrel? Pardon my ignorance.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sweetlou1
Thanks for the advice. My question would be why is your suggestion better than changing the manifold and going to 4 barrel? Pardon my ignorance.
Cheaper and easier, and quickly done. Without internal work and the headers, the 4bbl isn't going to work as well as it could. It will work, no question, but why kill yourself doing the manifold only to have to fiddle with it again when you do serious engine work?

Headers, on the other hand, bolt right on after a week or two of 10 hour days getting the iron manifolds off and replacing the broken exhaust studs. It might go quicker than that, you never know.....

Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM
sweetlou1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Cheaper and easier, and quickly done. Without internal work and the headers, the 4bbl isn't going to work as well as it could. It will work, no question, but why kill yourself doing the manifold only to have to fiddle with it again when you do serious engine work?

Headers, on the other hand, bolt right on after a week or two of 10 hour days getting the iron manifolds off and replacing the broken exhaust studs. It might go quicker than that, you never know.....
Ok, so if I keep my existing 2 barrel carb, and put dual exhaust on existing exhaust manifold, and change ignition to electronic, I should see noticeable difference?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Small difference.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Which I would recommend doing first depends on if it's still the stock motorcraft 2100 series carb. I personally hate those things and think getting rid of them is always a good idea. If you already have something along the lines of a Holley 2300 which is rather common then the headers and ignition are an easier place to start.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM
sweetlou1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Opossum
Which I would recommend doing first depends on if it's still the stock motorcraft 2100 series carb. I personally hate those things and think getting rid of them is always a good idea. If you already have something along the lines of a Holley 2300 which is rather common then the headers and ignition are an easier place to start.
No, its the original motorcraft 2100. I just want somemore gitty-up when I put my foot down.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 AM
hotstuff
Senior User
did you figure out what CFM you have now ? you could go to a larger CFM 2150 much cheaper and I think its a bolt on and go .

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM
sweetlou1
Senior User
Originally Posted by hotstuff
did you figure out what CFM you have now ? you could go to a larger CFM 2150 much cheaper and I think its a bolt on and go .
No I didn't check yet. New to this truck and motor so trying to put things together about them and what I want to do. I don't want radical, and I don't want to open it up for internal changes; at least not yet. Exhaust, ignition, and fuel intake. Just want the best set up, but I am finding out that all that money spent to do that, may not increase horsepower and performance a whole lot.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM
hotstuff
Senior User
there are many ways to increase preformance depending on what your trying to achieve . Everything from a good tune up, to blue printing the entire truck . First put together a plan , Money and time line , set your goal . MPG or 60 ft. times , you might end up with a gear change or bolt ons . The biggest problem I see is not thinking the whole project through and spending money twice , we all have done it . Good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Uhm yeah what he said, plan and research and plan and research some more.

For instance you will find that any investment in a carb might as well be a 4bbl and if you need a 4bbl you need a manifold. Why spend 400 bucks or whatever on a new 2bbl when 600 will get you a 4bbl and manifold for example.

Also you mention "dual exhaust" you'll learn that this is a bad idea in and of itself. And that if doing any exhaust work that extensive you might as well install headers.

Quick Reply: Carb replacement