Beating a Dead Horse??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 AM
4Diggin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beating a Dead Horse??

Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
Fair point. In fact, I do often tell people to return things to stock when they've made a mess of things trying to do some sort of "upgrade". My suggestion here was in the context of stuff already gone missing/broken/left open/ etc, and thus it might take some significant effort to return it to stock.

FWIW, I recently went through this process myself when I replaced my 4.9 with another, and initially intended to leave all the emissions stuff in place. But after breaking some things in the R&R process, I changed course and went for the "emissions delete" option. I have no regrets at all.
Hey Y'all

It seems like this topic has been discussed over and over, and probably will be for a long time. Im new as a user but not to the forum. Ive read back and forth about leaving or deleting the egr/emission/thermactor setup and I been kickin the idea around myself. I know the system is in place for a reason and Im not dead set on removing it just yet. I am looking for advice.

I have a 96 F150 4.9 EFI. Im rebuilding the motor because of an oil pressure issue. Not sure of the terminology, so correct me if Im wrong, but the Air Injection Rail has been rusted off and plugged since Ive had the truck. The EGR tube (from upper intake to exhaust manifold) twisted and broke off during removal. The truck ran great before (even with plugged A.I.R) but now I have 2 broken components (A.I.R/EGR). After reading this and many other threads I have considered not replacing them.

So heres the real question. What kind of problems could I expect from the EEC, and in general, if I leave those parts off. I have another complete 4.9 that I could use but its older (FOTE-6015-DA) and doesnt have O2 sensors in the exhaust manifolds like mine (F2TE-6015-BA). I havent seen any feed back about guys disconnecting the O2 sensors along with EGR/AIR/thermactor. Is it possible to block off the EGR and install the older head with no AIR ports without causing problems. Any experience or opinions would be great.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"...when they've made a mess of things trying to do some sort of "upgrade"...Yup. There are many threads on this Forum containing the ashes of that particular dead horse.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Brigart
Senior User
96 is the OBDII version isn't it? I'd just fix the couple problems that it has.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Joe_C
Mountain Pass
In my experiance here in canada, the EFI 300 EGR valve that bolts to the upper intake is a 100% chance of the rear most bolt braking off. thats with 4 differnt 300's 2 94's, 1 95', 1 96, what a pain to fix with that bolt corroded into the aluminum.

ANTI SEIZE ON EVERYTHING that went back together,

Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you may be in Gator country, is emissions testing a concern for your ride?

I recently bought an EFI 4.9 that had been used for off-roading only and had pretty much no sensors hooked up and was still using the injectors (probably with the diz-timing locked in the 30's i suppose.

I suppose anything is possible depending on your expectations of use, performance etc..and of course do you still have the usual warning lights installed?. you could put a manual temp gauge on it..and just watch that i guess...(and when it runs outa oil the rods will knock letting you find out about that)..

You should've seen the body that was left after the engine I bought was removed. I got it for practically nothing so it was for parts only but..well in our neck of the woods..4 wheeling means being rolled on it's top at least once..

I personally would not run an EFI version of this motor w/o everything hooked up (untill it reached the age of 20 years old in my county), but I have EFI related parts for sale.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
4Diggin
New User
Yeah its OBDII. Im looking in to puttin it back to stock, but it might get costly. probably worth it in the long run for efficiency and reliability though.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
4Diggin
New User
Good call on the anti seize. Ill definitely be using that!

In my neck of the woods emissions and inspections arent an issue so you can pretty much get away with murder when it comes to trucks (ridiculous lift on tractor tires is still street legal!!). I think Im gonna leave the AIR off and restrict the EGR and see what happens. I wasnt gettin a check engine lights before so I might get lucky. Fortunately its not a daily driver so this should give me time to build a carbed 300, or better yet, a sick 5.0!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Joe_C
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 4Diggin
Good call on the anti seize. Ill definitely be using that!

In my neck of the woods emissions and inspections arent an issue so you can pretty much get away with murder when it comes to trucks (ridiculous lift on tractor tires is still street legal!!). I think Im gonna leave the AIR off and restrict the EGR and see what happens. I wasnt gettin a check engine lights before so I might get lucky. Fortunately its not a daily driver so this should give me time to build a carbed 300, or better yet, a sick 5.0!

Inspections are an issue here in onterrible and after having so much issue with the fuel side of the efi on my 96, i swapped in a bone stock 85 factory non emisson motor and yes it wont pass.
i have now updated to a DUI ignition, offy DP intake, holley 390, and efi manifolds with the efi exhaust setup.

luckly they changed the emission testing here and i only need to pass a 2 speed idle sniffer test, idle and ~1600 rpm so i should be able to fake it to pass.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe_C
Inspections are an issue here in onterrible and after having so much issue with the fuel side of the efi on my 96, i swapped in a bone stock 85 factory non emisson motor and yes it wont pass.
i have now updated to a DUI ignition, offy DP intake, holley 390, and efi manifolds with the efi exhaust setup.

luckly they changed the emission testing here and i only need to pass a 2 speed idle sniffer test, idle and ~1600 rpm so i should be able to fake it to pass.
This would be what I would do , in fact The only new vehicle that intrigues me is an f150. a "97" in Lightning trim, but with a 300-6 in Clifford trim. and yes with an early sixties Autoiite carb. I owned new "97 lightning, and although fun to drive and handled so well..I'm now older and would love the concept of "six" in minimal trim in that body...ohwell

Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM
4Diggin
New User
It would be cool to see a trimmed 300 in a newer body style. Likewise, a supercharged 5.4 in a 96!! I wouldnt turn that down.