Looking into full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:10 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into full exhaust for my '94 F-150. It has a 302 and I was thinking about getting headers, but I can't decide what to do about the rear. Should I run duals? I know that sounds great but it's expensive, and I don't have alot.

I don't know what headers to buy. Hooker, Hedman, Flowtech....? There are so many, and I don't know which ones. Also price is a big factor too.

If I went with headers (let's say Hedman), what exhaust should I run? One large pipe out the side? One large pipe split to Y pipes? Or a full dual exhaust?
The pipe should probably be 2.5" I think that would be good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2003, 09:01 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

anyone?

Old 06-01-2003, 09:13 PM
inlineguy
Senior User

It all deoends on what you want to achieve. Certain combinations will provide more torque while others will provide more horsepower. Better Flow equals better fuel economy but may also increase sound levels. look at what guys are doing with 302's in other vehicles like mustangs for header tube size, mufflers catalaytic converts etc.. Make sure you get headers designed for a truck though.

Old 06-01-2003, 09:17 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

Yeah I've done all that and still I'm left with this. I have a truck, not a mustang, mustangs are different man. I want the sound and I want better torque and horsepower. Does anyone run headers, then cats, then one muffler, and finally Y-pipes out the back? Is that a good idea or what?

Does anyone know what an H pipe is?

Last edited by moose94; 06-01-2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:25 PM
kevinrf250
Senior User

H- Pipes are used on true dual exhaust to even out the pressures between both sides. They even out the exhaust note a little, and might give you a little more power. On fuel injected engines they help give the oxygen sensor a more acurate reading.

Old 06-02-2003, 06:24 AM
moose94
Posting Guru

was does an H pipe look like? (I am so dumb for asking this question)

Old 06-02-2003, 02:36 PM
inlineguy
Senior User

well lets see if you ever read anything in a magazine on mustangs they do have the same engine you fool plus you would also know what combinations ppl run as in header tube size tailpipe size what kinda muffler and what kinda sound it provids.

Old 06-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Black88GT
Elder User

do they have catback kits for expeditions?

Old 06-02-2003, 08:39 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

listen here inlineguy,

They wouldn't make a header specifically for an F150 if it wasn't made SPECIFICALLY FOR AN F150. I don't want mustang parts, first of all because of fitment problems, and second of all I want an easy bolt on. This thread wasn't suppose to be about how to fit mustang headers on your F150, it was about which exhaust to use.

Frig. Just think man, a mustang is not a truck, and they use different length of pipe for a mustang. OH AND DOES A MUSTANG HAVE SKIDPLATES? I DIDN'T THINK SO.

So if you'd like to answer this thread do so, but if you don't or you have nothing.... then don't post about stupid Mustangs because they are crap. Yes I said Mustangs are crap. Especially the 1989's with their stupid wings and shoe-box body type. The new ones aren't bad, but we won't get into that.

Last edited by moose94; 06-02-2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:22 AM
Black88GT
Elder User

Originally posted by moose94
Especially the 1989's with their stupid wings and shoe-box body type. The new ones aren't bad, but we won't get into that.
I resent that. Id like to see a pic of your ride.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:54 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

really, well o.k let me go take some pics. Post it soon.

Old 06-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Roscoe1818
Junior User

moose has a point about a truck not being a mustang, though skidplates are one of the smaller differences. Mustangs at the least, run different intakes and cams which makes a big difference at the exhaust end. The mustang engine is designed to make power at a higher rpm than the truck motor. Thus, one would run headers with smaller primary tubes on a truck as compared to a mustang (to make torque at a lower rpm range).
Moose, whatever you do, stay away from flowtech headers. They're a pain to fit if you can make it happen at all. I have a set of Hedman shorties that, while not the optimum setup, provide much better flow than stock and arent terribly expensive (bout $260 i think). I'm in the process of putting a new header-back exhaust on my truck (90 bronco 302) and I'm going with the stock size y-pipe and a 2.5" single pipe to a pair of 2.25 tailpipes. I'v heard good things about thie setup but I haven't tried it myself, so good luck to both of us

Old 06-03-2003, 09:46 PM
moose94
Posting Guru

Hey thanks for the support man, I knew that it mattered.

Tell me what is the Y pipe? I figured it was the pipe from the cat that splits into 2. Am I right? There's a y pipe that comes stock?

So I was wrong then. I want to do a Y pipe setup, so how could I do it? Plus a gutted cat.

Last edited by moose94; 06-03-2003 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Roscoe1818
Junior User

The y-pipe connects to your exhaust manifold/headers and then to the first cat (pre-cat). You could lop your exhaust off just behind the pre-cat, gut it out and weld it back (though I'm not suggesting this as it would greatly increase your emissions). Replacing the pre-cat with a high flow cat using the stock y-pipe would be possible but difficult (tight bends where the y-pipe enters the pre-cat). You can find stock type setups (y-pipe and new cat the replaces both the front and rear cats) for about $120. This is probably what I'll end up doing as I cant afford $340 for the bassani unit. The pipe leaving the cat on the stock type units is 2.25". If you want a little lower/louder sound, put a 2.25-2.5 adapter after the cat and run 2.5" pipe from there. Beyond the cat it's up to you. Duals or singles after this point are not going to have that much affect on performance as long as they're not crimped and the pipes are of adequate size (about 2.25 for duals, 2.5 for single).

Old 06-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Jimbo302
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by moose94
Especially the 1989's with their stupid wings and shoe-box body type.
Listen here, moose. Thats a matter of personal opinion and my car disagrees: Click here
And so did the thief who took the car.

The advice addressing the exhaust sytems on Mustangs was not bad advice. Moose, you obviously are not informed or knowledgable in this regard, so why not listen before declaring yourself correct and becoming angry.

Exhaust systems change from vehicle to vehicle out of necessity for fitment and engine output. The stock exhaust straight off of a five liter Mustang would work very well on your truck if it would fit. That would be tubular style headers into 2 1/4" piping for each bank of cylinders and a crossover (h pipe) to connect the two.

The main concern when changing exhaust would be the diameter of the piping. If you do run duals then a max of 2 1/2" for each pipe would work, 2 1/4 would probably be better for a stock 302. If you run a single then two 2 1/4" into 3" should do just fine. Aside from choosing the brand of headers, mufflers, and cats, there really isn't much more to it. On that note, Hooker, flowmaster, and Borla have good products. Summit Racing also offers an economical shorty header kit for your truck.