1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

AOD TP (throttle position) Rod or linkage

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Leeboy1962
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOD TP (throttle position) Rod or linkage

Ok,I have a 1981 Ford Ranger XLT,302,Automatic,with the AOD Transmission.I need to find the linkage that goes from the carb down to the Transmission.It is the linkage that adjusts the TP.Just like a passing gear linkage.Anyone have one,or know where I can find one?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Lokar makes a universal fit unit. That's a very important piece on your tranny and can burn it up if it's not adjusted correctly. Be careful.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Labhound
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Lokar makes a universal fit unit. That's a very important piece on your tranny and can burn it up if it's not adjusted correctly. Be careful.
How is it adjusted?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts

ADJUSTMENT AT THE CARBURETOR

The TV control linkage may be adjusted at the carburetor using the following procedure:

1 Check that engine idle speed is set at the specification.
2 De-cam the fast idle cam on the carburetor so that the throttle lever is at its idle stop. Place shift lever in N (neutral), set park brake (engine off).
3 Back out linkage lever adjusting screw all the way (screw end if flush with lever face).
4 Turn in adjusting screw until a thin shim (0.005&inch; max.) or piece of writing paper fits snugly between end of screw and Throttle Lever. To eliminate effect of friction, push linkage lever forward (tending to close gap) and release before checking clearance between end of screw and throttle lever. Do not apply any load on levers with tools or hands while checking gap.
5Turn in adjusting screw an additional four turns. (Four turns are preferred. Two turns minimum is permissible if screw travel is limited).
If it is not possible to turn in adjusting screw at least two addition turns or if there was sufficient screw adjusting capacity to obtain an initial gap in Step 2 above, refer to Linkage Adjustment at Transmission.Whenever it is required to adjust idle speed by more than 50 rpm, the adjustment screw on the linkage lever at the carburetor should also be readjusted as shown.

Idle Speed Change/Turns on Linkage Lever Adjustment Screw
Less than 50 rpm: No change required
50 to 100 rpm increase: 1 1 ⁄ 2 turns out
50 to 100 rpm decrease: 1 1 ⁄ 2 turns in
100 to 150 rpm increase: 2 1 ⁄ 2 turns out
100 to 150 rpm decrease: 2 1 ⁄ 2 turns in

After making any idle speed adjustments, always verify the linkage lever and throttle lever are in contact with the throttle lever at its idle stop and the shift lever is in N (neutral).

ADJUSTMENT AT TRANSMISSION
Fig. 2: Automatic overdrive transmission adjustment

The linkage lever adjustment screw has limited adjustment capability. It is not possible to adjust the TV linkage using this screw, the length of the TV control rod assembly must be readjusted using the following procedure. This procedure must also be followed whenever a new TV control rod assembly is installed.

This procedure requires placing the vehicle on jackstands to give access to the linkage components at the transmission TV control lever.

Set the engine curb idle speed to specification.
With engine off, de-cam the fast idle cam on the carburetor so that the throttle lever is against the idle stop. Place shift lever in Neutral and set park brake (engine off).
Set the linkage lever adjustment screw at its approximately mid-range.
If a new TV control rod assembly is being installed, connect the rod to the linkage lever at the carburetor.

CAUTION
The following steps involve working in proximity to the exhaust system. Allow the exhaust system to cool before proceeding.
Raise the vehicle on the hoist.
Using a 13mm box end wrench, loosen the bolt on the sliding trunnion block on the TV control rod assembly. Remove any corrosion from the control rod and free-up the trunnion block so that it slides freely on the control rod. Insert pin into transmission lever grommet.
Push up on the lower end of the control rod to insure that the linkage lever at carburetor is firmly against the throttle lever. Release force on rod. Rod must stay up.
Push the TV control lever on the transmission up against its internal stop with a firm force (approximately 5 pounds) and tighten the bolt on the trunnion block. do not relax force on lever until nut is tightened.
Lower the vehicle and verify that the throttle lever is still against the idle stop. If not, repeat steps 2 through 9.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Leeboy1962
Freshman User
Thanks Dave,I will try this adjustment.Someone had put a C4 Trans. in the truck,so I bought a junkyard AOD and had it rebuilt before installing it.The adjustments of the TP rod is where I'm having trouble.I even bought a oil pressure quage and installed it in the trans and made the adjustments to 35 psi with the trans in nutural using a 10mm drill bit as the space between to TP linkage and the throttle stop.That didnt make the trans shift smooth at all,to much rpms before it would shift from 3rd to overdrive,then I made small adjustments at the carb,and and it shifts through all gears,just not smooth at all,so I'm going to try it like you described.Thanks a Bunch

Old 02-23-2014, 02:48 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
THANKS, DAVE!

I was losing my mind over the adjustment on the AOD linkage on my 84 F 150. Everyone says "you need to adjust the linkage, or you'll burn up the transmission", BUT NO ONE said how to do it!

I worked with it today, and with your post, it is perfect!

THANKS AGAIN!!!