Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 stumbes and jerks under heavy acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
man they almost blew up a pontiac lemans we had when i lived down there, the engine was smoking like mad i thought forsure it would catch fire. threw a rod a couple weeks later.
Were you able to pin the damage on the testing center? The guys in those centers are as bad as the ham-handed dudes in a quick lube.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Were you able to pin the damage on the testing center? The guys in those centers are as bad as the ham-handed dudes in a quick lube.

a lemans with 180,000 miles good luck proving they weakend it. i was real happy my 66 chevelle was old enough not to need testing.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Nice of the government to ruin an engine for you.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Tinstar36
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have went to jail that day

Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tinstar36
I would have went to jail that day

And paid bail for Bubba and go back to the test shop?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Its like a vehicle **** prison camp in arizona, u dont have any rights they do how they please and u suffer the consequences, any of their hired goons can abuse your car they want as you wait in hours long lines for testing.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Shop replaced fuel pressure regulator. Truck now idles, but dies when you try to drive it. GRRRRR

Edit: Truck still dies at idle. Will run anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes. Will not restart immediately, and you have to wait a few minutes to get her to fire up again.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
captain2207
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does this.I have two tanks.front tank stumbles bad until cruising speed then goes good.rear tank is great from idle to 70+.may be pump?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
New relay did no good. Shop is stymied. Dtc 542 and 556

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
OK, so the "mechanics" in the shop pulled those two codes, but really didn't know what the code references meant. They did not have a way to know which relay is the fuel pump relay, and they did not really know how to use the relay testing unit.

I jumped on MY AllData on my smartphone, figured out which relay, and pulled it while one dude was on the phone to his mechanic friend. They put the relay in the testing unit and started testing leads. One lead made clicking sounds. One of the mechanics said the clicking was the sound of a bad relay....

I looked it up just to make sure and I think the relay is SUPPOSED to click to open and close the circuit. Then they asked me if I wanted them to install a fuel pump. So I asked of the pump was going to fix the problem. They said they did not know, but would install it if I wanted them to.

I very nicely informed them that I could throw parts at it until it worked in my own garage, and that a shop is supposed to DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM and tell me what would fix it. One of the mechs got offended and told me to get my f****ng truck out of there and call a tow truck.

So I went looking for a manager to lodge a complaint and did not find one. Then I went back out to the shop and unhooked their crap from my truck, opened their overhead door, and babied my truck out of there.

A co-worker towed me to our house with his company truck (in a blizzard which has put down more than 8" of new snow so far) and so now my truck is sitting there barely able to move under it's own power. I did not and will not pay them for the part they installed, nor for the labor.

Ideas, anyone?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Went ahead and paid for a Ford Tech to look at my problem on justanswer.com. It was cheaper than I would have paid the shop today anyway, and I got an answer in less than 30 minutes.

He said a failing pump is what is wrong, and would set the codes I have. So, tomorrow I will go get a fuel pressure test kit (if available around here), run the test, and ..... set about dropping my nearly full gas tank to get to the pump.

Work was called off for tomorrow anyway.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
captain2207
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read my post.mine does same thing.I brought up the pump.but anyways seems like easy fix.good luck

Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by captain2207
Read my post.mine does same thing.I brought up the pump.but anyways seems like easy fix.good luck
I did read your post, and I am hoping my thread and results will help you get your problem fixed.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
OK, so the "mechanics" in the shop pulled those two codes, but really didn't know what the code references meant. They did not have a way to know which relay is the fuel pump relay, and they did not really know how to use the relay testing unit.

I jumped on MY AllData on my smartphone, figured out which relay, and pulled it while one dude was on the phone to his mechanic friend. They put the relay in the testing unit and started testing leads. One lead made clicking sounds. One of the mechanics said the clicking was the sound of a bad relay....

I looked it up just to make sure and I think the relay is SUPPOSED to click to open and close the circuit. Then they asked me if I wanted them to install a fuel pump. So I asked of the pump was going to fix the problem. They said they did not know, but would install it if I wanted them to.

I very nicely informed them that I could throw parts at it until it worked in my own garage, and that a shop is supposed to DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM and tell me what would fix it. One of the mechs got offended and told me to get my f****ng truck out of there and call a tow truck.

So I went looking for a manager to lodge a complaint and did not find one. Then I went back out to the shop and unhooked their crap from my truck, opened their overhead door, and babied my truck out of there.

A co-worker towed me to our house with his company truck (in a blizzard which has put down more than 8" of new snow so far) and so now my truck is sitting there barely able to move under it's own power. I did not and will not pay them for the part they installed, nor for the labor.

Ideas, anyone?
Ok well I try to not give any input on things I don't know, and fuel systems are on still on my dummies list. But I can provide some moral support THUMBS up on what you told that obviously inept shop and for getting it out of there. Sounds like you are siphoning some gas and dropping a tank from the other replies, be careful and don't get smushed or blown up.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
I have started on the project and am taking pictures. It is ~10 or so today and I am working outside, so right now I am inside to warm up the ol feet. Had to shovel a craxy amount of snow from around my truck this morning, too.

Went to town and there were no fuel pressure testing kits to be bought so I decided to go ahead with the pump replacement. I will have to order a kit online later, just so I have one on hand from now on.

Quick Reply: 460 stumbes and jerks under heavy acceleration.