6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

First Tow / First breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Tow / First breakdown

My first tow with a diesel (2012 F350 47K Miles) was pulling a new 32' fifth wheel and utility trailer (RZR) I guessing the total weight to be around 14-14.5K. It pulled really well until I got 200 miles from home and then all of the sudden it just died. The message said something like stop now pull over safely (Friday afternoon 2PM).

After getting towed we ended up staying the night in the back lot of a small town auto shop. The problem? Exhaust temperature sensor (1of 4).
Luckily they had a truck from Salt Lake coming through at 6 am the next morning (Saturday) who was able to deliver the sensor. I was back on my way by 10AM.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
That sucks Jeff.

Some guys have had multiple failures and are carrying a spare sensor, kpers DTC list, OBDII scanner and a wrench. You know what they say, if you have it you will never need it.... thats why I carry a defibrillator in my truck

Some info here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13078443

Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM
IronHorsePilot
Junior User
What model toy hauler are you pulling?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Thats weird, this mechanic says it always the 4th sensor that will shut the truck down. The 1st sensor on yours shut you down??

Old 10-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
Originally Posted by IronHorsePilot
What model toy hauler are you pulling?
290 Montana Mountaineer. It's actually not a toy hauler. I was pulling double trailers.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
[quote=2ndStroke;13662946]Thats weird, this mechanic says it always the 4th sensor that will shut the truck down. The 1st sensor on yours shut you down??

It actually was the forth sensor. It was reading 25 degrees higher that the other three.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
That sucks Jeff.

Some guys have had multiple failures and are carrying a spare sensor, kpers DTC list, OBDII scanner and a wrench. You know what they say, if you have it you will never need it.... thats why I carry a defibrillator in my truck

Some info here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13078443
Thanks for the link. I will definitely carry two of these going forward.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck, glad to hear that they got you back on the road quick!
Originally Posted by darren32
You know what they say, if you have it you will never need it.... thats why I carry a defibrillator in my truck
I might start carrying Prostate Examiners gloves then

Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
On my 6.4 I never had a sensor failure. Are these the same sensors? I thought I read somewhere they are using the same ones. If so they we should be over this failure rate.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
The sensors are the same for the 6.4 and the 6.7s. I bought a couple of sensors last year before my vacation trip for the 6.4 and asked the dealer when I bought my 6.7 and was told they are in fact the same sensor. This is the sensor that shut down my 6.4L ambulance with a very sick cardiac patient in the back. We had to wait nearly 20 minutes to get another med unit to us to transfer the patient! Totally ridiculous as it could have cost this man his life for a $45 part! The truck did like all the others, gave a warning and then shut down as I was pulling off the roadway. This is a Ford problem! None of our Freightliners have had a failure and we are now into the 170k mileage range on a few of them. There should be a programming "checks and balances" with those sensors. If most of the time it is the rear one, you would know then that the trouble then is in the DPF, and should not shut the truck down. I realize that this sensor probably gets hotter than the others and probably why it fails as often as it does, but they should be better quality sensors in the first place.

One of the techs at my dealer said I should consider taking all of the sensors out and putting anti-seize compound on them and re-installing them. I'm not so sure about that idea yet. Still doing some research on that one!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
One of the techs at my dealer said I should consider taking all of the sensors out and putting anti-seize compound on them and re-installing them. I'm not so sure about that idea yet. Still doing some research on that one!
If you watch 2ndStroke's video I would think that is a very good idea.
If you break it off then the pipe has to come off and drill and tap (12x1.25 LOL)

Thanks

Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Anti sieze is the only way to go.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
on this subject..for the 6.4 there is a jumper wire off the passenger battery that you can use for a restart...so you don't have to wait.

Have not found if you can bypass on the 6.7. I hear it is possible. Anyone know?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by golfmedik
The sensors are the same for the 6.4 and the 6.7s. I bought a couple of sensors last year before my vacation trip for the 6.4 and asked the dealer when I bought my 6.7 and was told they are in fact the same sensor. This is the sensor that shut down my 6.4L ambulance with a very sick cardiac patient in the back. We had to wait nearly 20 minutes to get another med unit to us to transfer the patient! Totally ridiculous as it could have cost this man his life for a $45 part! The truck did like all the others, gave a warning and then shut down as I was pulling off the roadway. This is a Ford problem! None of our Freightliners have had a failure and we are now into the 170k mileage range on a few of them. There should be a programming "checks and balances" with those sensors. If most of the time it is the rear one, you would know then that the trouble then is in the DPF, and should not shut the truck down. I realize that this sensor probably gets hotter than the others and probably why it fails as often as it does, but they should be better quality sensors in the first place.

Emergency vehicles should have none of this crap. Nor should any of us. For the time being, entities purchasing Fords for emergency vehicles should be put on notice that this failure is reasonably foreseeable and there for negligent. Before all the Forditarians start howling, let it be known I would show the same tough love to Chevy or Dodge or any other. It is how you force improvements.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
on this subject..for the 6.4 there is a jumper wire off the passenger battery that you can use for a restart...so you don't have to wait.

Have not found if you can bypass on the 6.7. I hear it is possible. Anyone know?
I haven't heard of one yet Scott, but I will ask the guys that told me about the 6.4 when I see them again.

Quick Reply: First Tow / First breakdown