Power Steering Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
lotus-eater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Pump Leak

Hi Folks,
I have an 2001 F-350 (PS). It looks like the power steeringpump is leaking from somewhere near the top, but it’s difficult to see exactly.Before I start taking things apart, just wondering if anyone else has had asimilar problem or are there any known issues with leaks on the pumps?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 797 Likes on 586 Posts
Only common PS leak I am familiar with is the hose rubbing on the shock mount til it ruptures. Hopefully others will chime in.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The most likely place for a leak is the high pressure fitting on the left side of the pump (right next to the CAC tube). Sometimes that hose will rub through on the shock tower so that may be another thing to check. I suppose it's also possible that one of the two soft lines at the pump may also be leaking but I think that is less likely.

The fitting at the power steering pump has a swivel feature and it can begin to leak over time. The NAPA part number for that hose is 7-3425...should be around $30.28.

The NAPA part number for the pressure hose that runs from the hydroboost to the gear box is 7-3506...should be around $43.59.

If you find that you need the pump, the part number from NAPA is 38-1009...should be around $57.19. They claim their reman pumps have an internal magnetic filter ring around the screen that is supposed to help prevent screen clogging which I presume is the main cause of the 'pump groan' that some owners have reported.

If you need to change the pump, you will need a tool to remove the pulley. Many local auto parts stores have tools for rent or loan if you leave a deposit. I just replaced the pump and hoses on my wife's truck on Friday night. It took about 2 hours or so...

If you replace the pressure hose(s), make sure you put some additional abrasion protection such as large split loom covering to keep the hose from rubbing itself through on the shock tower.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
4BigGreen
Junior User
Is this the place you guys are talking about:

I wrapped some hose around the line because I saw some wear from rubbing on the hose next to it.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
lotus-eater
Freshman User
Great, thanks everyone, I'll take a look when I get home and let you know what it is once I've found it.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 4BigGreen
Is this the place you guys are talking about:

I wrapped some hose around the line because I saw some wear from rubbing on the hose next to it.
The return hose is usually routed around the pressure hose, more towards the fender. I wonder if someone changed the routing on yours. I'll try and get a pic for how it looks on my trucks..

The hose that sometimes wears through is down by the shock tower. Check out the photo in post #7 in this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...on-thread.html

Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
4BigGreen
Junior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
The return hose is usually routed around the pressure hose, more towards the fender.
Ah hah, That makes more sense. So I must be looking at the brake line that was wearing thin. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had fluid puke out the breather hole in the cap.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
camp nh
Senior User
Just had to replace the power steering hose. From the booster to the steering box. Let go at the bend in metal part. Hose cost me around 50. from NAPA. Had to remove the battery, the battery box and one of the turbo intakes to get to the steering box.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On mine the leak was on the high pressure line from the pump to the Hydroboost, it was seeping through the hose itself, when you pressed on the brakes it would spray out of the hose, near the top of the hose.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by camp nh
Just had to replace the power steering hose. From the booster to the steering box. Let go at the bend in metal part. Hose cost me around 50. from NAPA. Had to remove the battery, the battery box and one of the turbo intakes to get to the steering box.
I got lucky and didn't have to remove the battery or box in order to change the hose. I think all I removed was the CAC tube and rubber air intake boot from the air box.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:59 PM
lotus-eater
Freshman User
The most likely place for a leak is the high pressure fitting on the left side of the pump (right next to the CAC tube). Sometimes that hose will rub through on the shock tower so that may be another thing to check. I suppose it's also possible that one of the two soft lines at the pump may also be leaking but I think that is less likely.

The fitting at the power steering pump has a swivel feature and it can begin to leak over time. The NAPA part number for that hose is 7-3425...should be around $30.28.

The NAPA part number for the pressure hose that runs from the hydroboost to the gear box is 7-3506...should be around $43.59.

If you find that you need the pump, the part number from NAPA is 38-1009...should be around $57.19. They claim their reman pumps have an internal magnetic filter ring around the screen that is supposed to help prevent screen clogging which I presume is the main cause of the 'pump groan' that some owners have reported.

If you need to change the pump, you will need a tool to remove the pulley. Many local auto parts stores have tools for rent or loan if you leave a deposit. I just replaced the pump and hoses on my wife's truck on Friday night. It took about 2 hours or so...

If you replace the pressure hose(s), make sure you put some additional abrasion protection such as large split loom covering to keep the hose from rubbing itself through on the shock tower.

Finally got chance to look at this today and the leak appears to be coming from the high pressure fitting that is attached to the pump reservoir body. Iguess it could be coming from the fitting on the high pressure line that goes into that, but it doesn’t seem to be. Anyone have any idea if the fitting that goes in to the reservoir can be replaced or will I have to replace the complete pump?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

The replacement hose comes with a new swivel fitting attached. Sounds like you need a new hose.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 PM
lotus-eater
Freshman User
The replacement hose comes with a new swivel fitting attached. Sounds like you need a new hose.
The swivel screws in to a fitting that appears to be attached to the pump. It seems to be at the bottom of that fitting, not between the swivel and that fitting. From what I can see on line, it looks like that fitting is part of the pump. If you look here: Motorcraft STP56RM - Power Steering Pump | O'Reilly Auto Parts it's the fitting on the pump with the blue plug in it. It seems to be coming from the bottom of that where it attaches to the pump.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You can remove that fitting and replace the o-rings on it. There is a large one near the hex nut and a smaller one in another groove inside.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Leak