S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be interesting to see how the powder coat holds up with the serpentine belt wearing on them. Looks fantastic!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Gary, haven't seen any updates in a few days. how is the rebuild going? you didn't move the thread did you? if your rig is running, just want to say congrats on a job well done.
cheers.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this phase of the project is finally done , and I've put about 6k miles on it already. Had a few hiccups like a bad wiring harness for the hpop gauge and a minor oil leak at the bottom front cover bolt, but that was it. For a total re-build and all the factory items I deleted it is pretty amazing the lack of problems. Below are some photos of the completed job with a front shot showing the new grill and 05 headlight upgrade from Riffraff. I just finished the overhead console repair, re-seating the loose chips so now my display works again...!!! Thanks to the FTE Forum is was a breeze to fix. Underway now is I have the dash somewhat disassembled to replace all the gauge panel bulbs, and waiting on the 650 dash kit so I can get rid of the gauges up above the rear view mirror. Once all the interior mods are complete and I have some more nickels saved its off to the paint/body shop and then to upholstery.

PRESSURE TESTING THE INTAKE SYSTEM

I HATE THIS GAUGE LOCATION....CHANGING SOON TO THE 650 DASH KIT.

A BIT DUSTY BUT NO UPPER LEAKS

NEW GRILL AND 05 HEADLAMPS

Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 AM
cameeks
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
I HATE THIS GAUGE LOCATION....CHANGING SOON TO THE 650 DASH KIT.
That's funny I'm wanting that gauge location just can't afford it right now. Would love to block the sun in that area.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 AM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent work. Would be a dream build for me.

How is the power output compare to stock? In details please.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by 00X7.3PSD
Excellent work. Would be a dream build for me.

How is the power output compare to stock? In details please.

Thanks. I have a DP Infinity tuner with several performance tunes, however until I get 10-12k miles on the motor I am leaving it in the stock tune. Tooooo much money invested to mess around before a decent break in period. Once I get past that point then it's dyno time. I am hoping to talk John Woods into dialing it in for me and putting on a dyno to see where it at. I am expecting around 600hp but we'll see.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by cameeks
That's funny I'm wanting that gauge location just can't afford it right now. Would love to block the sun in that area.
It was ok until I drove it for a bit and then it started to come loose. Velcro no matter how well intended does not work here in the desert areas of SoCal. When I jiggled it I just made it worse so not its all down sitting on my dashboard waiting for the new dash panel.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 AM
cameeks
Posting Guru
I'm going to make a bracket out of aluminium (like another member posted on here) and bolt it on.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking great Gary!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
nice work!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Nice build. wondered where this thread went. Jody should be down next month, have him live tune it at Joey's.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Nice build. wondered where this thread went. Jody should be down next month, have him live tune it at Joey's.
Good to know. I'll have to contact Jody and see what he's up to on this trip and where he will be at. Thanks!

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
nice work!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Looking great Gary!
Thanks Steve!

Originally Posted by cameeks
I'm going to make a bracket out of aluminium (like another member posted on here) and bolt it on.
I'd like to see that when you're done. Hadn't heard of that method yet.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
very impressive gary. cool re-build and a great motivator to keep 'em running!
cheers!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome build! Just read all 7 pages. Stumbled across this on Riff-Raff's Facebook feed. Like others say on here, I'd love to do a similar build. I like your CCV catch/drain - got any more info? As mine routes to atmosphere. I am picking my mods carefully as I live in the Peoples' Republik as well. I once got a note from AQMD b/c my wife accellerated kinda hard and smoked (a prius) - Someone whined. Was a funny letter - I should post it. So I have to deal with the CA smog BS. I find that being stealth is your friend. For mine to pass, I went to the stock tune, removed the tuner, re-connected CCV (Glad I kept it) and I even covered up the orange Garrett logo on the 38R intake tube to make it appear as stock as possible. Even though I spent plenty of time BS'ing with the smog tech, he sure did look everywhere -- even hooked up the computer to the OBD-2 port to see if any codes were lingering...I guess enough time passed so the 1211 fell off. I want to do the reg-return - thinking about Riff-Raff's version, as it seems the least obvious. Do you plan to put the stock HPOP cover back on? May help hide the RR - if the tech is short anyhow.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by bdpotts
very impressive gary. cool re-build and a great motivator to keep 'em running!
cheers!
Thanks! Yeah, if you recall what started this was a dusted turbo so you can bet the new air cleaner gets checked constantly to make sure it is secure.

Originally Posted by VR6Nutt
Awesome build! Just read all 7 pages. Stumbled across this on Riff-Raff's Facebook feed. Like others say on here, I'd love to do a similar build. I like your CCV catch/drain - got any more info? As mine routes to atmosphere. I am picking my mods carefully as I live in the Peoples' Republik as well. I once got a note from AQMD b/c my wife accellerated kinda hard and smoked (a prius) - Someone whined. Was a funny letter - I should post it. So I have to deal with the CA smog BS. I find that being stealth is your friend. For mine to pass, I went to the stock tune, removed the tuner, re-connected CCV (Glad I kept it) and I even covered up the orange Garrett logo on the 38R intake tube to make it appear as stock as possible. Even though I spent plenty of time BS'ing with the smog tech, he sure did look everywhere -- even hooked up the computer to the OBD-2 port to see if any codes were lingering...I guess enough time passed so the 1211 fell off. I want to do the reg-return - thinking about Riff-Raff's version, as it seems the least obvious. Do you plan to put the stock HPOP cover back on? May help hide the RR - if the tech is short anyhow.
Thanks. Here is a link to the CCV System I used: BD Power - Product: Crank Case Vent Filters
Since I put it in I haven't had any issues with oil in the boots. Wow, a letter from the AQMD ****'s! Not sure on the HPOP Cover, I bought the stainless steel piece that say's "Powerstroke 7.3L" and I just like the look better without anything. Yeah, being discreet is important. I am trying to convince my wife that we need to move to the Country of Texas before they lock the gates. Have fun if you decide to do your own build. I had a great time!

Quick Reply: 7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!