Updated Maestro and 2013 Sync Retention Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updated Maestro and 2013 Sync Retention Solution

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to post an update on the new features and updates to the Kenwood/Maestro Ford Interface Solution.

Sorry for the lengthy post. While Maestro can be used with any radio for basic radio replacement and steering wheel functions, in order to retain Sync and do the rest of what is indicated below, Maestro must be installed with one of the 2013 Kenwood DNN or DNX Navigation radios. These range from $850 for the most basic unit to $1700 for the Android based, connected model (Separate thread in here about that unit already).

As mentioned in many posts, we'd love to work with other radio brands, but there is R&D required and they need to hear from customers that they want these kinds of solutions to make the decision to do it. If you want <<Insert brand here>> radio to work with Maestro, write or post to them and ask them for it.

Now on to the stuff:

1. All models come with a dedicated port for Maestro (see attached pic) - You can now add Maestro AND install an aftermarket satellite radio tuner at the same time. No more choices.

2. Sync interface has been improved - Browse the media library, access the entire Sync menu system, access voice commands from button on screen.

3. Secondary display - Remains active and will show meta data not only for the Ford sources (Sync, phone, etc) but for the Kenwood sources too! RDS data in tuner, meta data in CD/DVD and iPod/USB screens.

Note: We cannot retain clock as it's inside the radio you remove and KW radio does not tell us the time. Hope to get this next cycle.

4. Vehicle info screen (see attached pic) - New screen that will show you tire pressure at each tire for the factory TPMS. Also, any open door and battery voltage. In addition, if you get a check engine light, you can see the code and attempt to clear it.

5. Gauges screen (see attached pic) - Pick any 5 gauges from a list of custom gauges and add them to a screen in the radio.

Not so relevant for Ford Trucks, but required for Mustangs

6. Climate screen (see attached pic) - Full climate integration right in the radio. We are investigating if we can duplicate the climate controls in the OEM navigation in Ford Trucks and put them here as well. Some are not accessible from the HVAC controls and others would be redundant.

Hope you all like! Radios have hit the market and our software is almost ready (in Beta now). If you own Maestro and just want to do a radio upgrade, you can! Just reflash Maestro on internet and let us know so we can send you the two cables you need to connect with the new radio.

Cheers,

Attached Images      
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
vincentesq
New User
Great to hear that.

That is great news! I am about to purchase through Crutchfield, but stopped because of previous threads saying that I either had to choose the Maestro or Sirius/Xm tuner. So now, I can have both? Is this a software update for the adapter or is this a new adapter? If I buy A Kenwood DNX9990HD and an external Kenwood Sirius/XM tuner and the Maestro from Crutchfield tomorrow, everything would work, or do I need to wait for new Maestro adapters to be shipped to Crutchfield? Thanks a million!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Hi,

It's not going to work with a DNX9990HD. That is a 2012 head unit. The change is to the radio itself so you need of the 2013 models. They have shorter model numbers ie DNX890HD.

Thanks,

12V Guy

Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM
vincentesq
New User
Thank you. I found out about that just as I received your reply. Will look into the DNX 690hd or 890hd.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Or even the lower cost 570HD.

Cheers,

Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM
vincentesq
New User
I ordered everything and installed it last week. Just a heads up for everyone who purchase the 2013 Kenwood lHU lines, Idatalink does not have on their website the 2013 models to flash with the Maestro yet. You have to call support and give them the serial number of the Kenwood HU and they will email back a beta version to flash with. The guy from support, Mike said that the final version would be available last Monday, but I've email him to confirm availability of the final version before opening up everything inmy car to re flash the maestro, but no reply from him.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
We haven't pushed it live yet. We have a few minor bugs we are correcting and he hope to post it live today or tomorrow. For the beta process you contact tech support, but we now let you input your serial number and program on line normally. However, we recommend ALL beta users update to the production firmware so if you go early, plan to access module later.

Cheers,

Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Firmware went up yesterday.

best,

Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 AM
vincentesq
New User
Thank you, just did the reflash.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
OK sounds like I am confused. I have the Kenwood 9990HD head unit with navigation. I have been told I can get the OEM functions, not HVAC controls, but water temperature, voltage, ect. I connected the (2) wires to the OBDII port. Based on this post I cannot get the OEM gauges, is this correct?
Also, after contacting Maestro, there is no firmware update available for my unit. I purchased mine in early February. Please assist me with this.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM
vincentesq
New User
I think the firmware update is only for the 2013 models which were not compatible with the Maestro.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Are the OEM functions unavailable for the 9990HD?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Traveling Man
OK sounds like I am confused. I have the Kenwood 9990HD head unit with navigation. I have been told I can get the OEM functions, not HVAC controls, but water temperature, voltage, ect. I connected the (2) wires to the OBDII port. Based on this post I cannot get the OEM gauges, is this correct?
Also, after contacting Maestro, there is no firmware update available for my unit. I purchased mine in early February. Please assist me with this.
HI,

The new features are NOT available in the 2012 radios. The radios cannot be updated to get them. Sorry, the hardware from last year is not even compatible, it changed in many ways for 2013.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but this is correct.

Regards,

Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
OK, thanks for this info.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Fboykin
New User
Locations to splice maestro to sync module, also rear OEM camera

I'm about to install a Kenwood DNX890HD and an Idatalink Maestro adapter in 2012 expedition. Been doing a lot of reading and research before I start taking things apart and have two questions:

Where in the center console is the sync wire that you need to splice the maestro wiring harness to? Do you need to splice it or just cut the wire and crimp the harness to the end of the wire coming from the steering wheel???

Also, I have the OEM rear camera that shows the picture in the rear view mirror. I want to splice the camera video wire so the picture shows on both mirror and Kenwood unit. Where is a good spot to do the splice? Looks like you need to put some foil around the splice to help shield it or you get grainy picture? I think the video wire comes up behind the glove box and plugs into a harness plug right behind it? I was thinking I could splice into the back of that plug?

I've looked and looked and can't find any "how-to" photos or any good descriptions of where to find these two wires.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Updated Maestro and 2013 Sync Retention Solution