Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Door Ajar Light 02 Explorer XLT

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
greentree ford
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hocus Focus

I disconnected this one but tied the two leads together so as to isolate the sensor because the plastic on the bottom of the lift glass is cracked (like you see on a lot of Explorers) so

Thanks
Did your door ajar light and bell go off at random before you did this^^^^^^^

Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Hocus Focus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, they both did. Also the alarm would go off at random, mostly at night, so I thought the drop in temperature was causing the lift gate latch sensor to move thus setting off the alarm.

With this sensor isolated my alarm is still going off at random.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by greentree ford
2002 are know for the vsm to fail. It was the first year that ford switched from the GEM to the vsm
vehicle security module it controls alot of things
Good to know, thanks!

-Rod

Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
" Only a dealer can test it " Not true . An Independent with the proper scan tool can ck it . For instance , my Snap On Modis can do that . The proper tool , teamed with Mitchell , Alldata , Identifix , Can find most issues .team that with J2534 Reprogramming ability by Snap On , Launch , OTC , and others , Much is able to be done outside the dealer .

Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Hocus Focus
New User
An Independent with the proper scan tool can ck it . For instance , my Snap On Modis can do that . The proper tool , teamed with Mitchell , Alldata , Identifix , Can find most issues .team that with J2534 Reprogramming ability by Snap On , Launch , OTC , and others , Much is able to be done outside the dealer .

OK thanks. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago, can anyone recommend a shop to run a scan.
Thanks

Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
BigRondo
Junior User
I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: Door AJAR Switch Replacement on 2002XLT w/Photos - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Originally Posted by thepotroast
That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Hocus Focus
New User
Thanks everyone, will give it a try and let you know. It maybe a while, my son is finishing up his HS wrestling, has a few more matches this week, then he's done for the season & I can get back to fixing this thing.
Thanks again, will keep ya posted.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
BigRondo
Junior User
Good luck with the fix!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Hocus Focus
New User
Door Ajar Issue

I know its been a while, last spring I shimmed the DS lower hinge because it was wearing out and the door ajar light went off like it's suppose to. Now that it's cetting cold out, my door ajar issue is back. Something must be a tad off, expanding, etc, & here I am. Have taken the door panel off, sprayed the heck out of the latch w/ wd-40. We'll see if this works.
Does anyone know what the wire colors are for the door ajar sensor that is in the latch. Im thinking, just disconnect them, or splice them together and be done with this issue once and for all. I really don't need a light & bell to tell me the door is open. The car is 10 yrs old w/ 150k on it, so if the door aj is disconnected, who cares. Certainly not me. I just want to fix this once and for all.
Thanks in advance for the tips

Old 11-10-2013, 03:14 PM
boandford
New User
2002 Ford Explorer Door Ajar Switch

My buzzer and door locks trigger randomly while driving and know it is the door ajar switch as I had someone fix it a ways back. Now it is going off again. I know where the switch is in the door but it is behind everything and only can be seen with a telescoping mirror. I know you take out the 3 screws from the door latch facing the outside but unsure what you have to unhook on the inside to switch out a new door ajar switch? Does anyone have a diagram or pics of inside the door and lock mechanism?

Old 11-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Hocus Focus
New User
door ajar sw

I just took the switch out. A few threads before this thread there are really good instruction on how to remove the trim panel. The instructions sure helped & made this job simple. The latch itself was fairly simple to remove. Remove three torx scrs on the i/s of the door as well as two scrs that hold a window guide, remove the guide. Disconnect the wiring harness, & the steel rods that attach to the latch. On one rod, you'll have to twist the latch a little. Once the latch assy is out, you'll have access to the door ajar sw.

I oiled mine & it is still sticking a little so will replace w/ one from the bone yard. Am hoping this is it. Plan to check all the other switches as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM
BigRondo
Junior User
I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel - Ford Explorer & Ranger Resource "Serious Explorations"®

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem - Ford Explorer & Ranger Resource "Serious Explorations"®

Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available in the above thread. IIRC, I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. I located the the wire I was looking for and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the the wire I was looking for and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: Door AJAR Switch Replacement on 2002XLT w/Photos - Ford Explorer & Ranger Resource "Serious Explorations"®

Originally Posted by thepotroast
That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:
Hope this helps out.!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 AM
bbfmavrick
Freshman User
WD40 in the latches worked for me. Not a instant fix,mine took a few days before the WD worked its miracles.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Hocus Focus
New User
I have the door aj switch out and am working wd-40 into it. Wiil let you guys know how it goes hepefully during the week. tks

Old 11-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Hocus Focus
New User
Found the problem. DS door, the latch mechanism is not letting the switch plunger to fully extend and of course it's random occurance when cold weather sets in. So for a quick fix, I disconnected the DA switch from the latch and wire tied it to it's wiring harness. Now the computer thinks the door is always closed. Down the road I will go to the bone yard & buy a latch mechanism w/ low mikes.

Quick Reply: Door Ajar Light 02 Explorer XLT