6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Communication Failre with all modules

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
ruffneck22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Communication Failre with all modules

Anyone else having or heard of issues with the instrument cluster and lost communication trouble codes. My truck has been having issues and it loses comm with all the modules. All the warming lights the truck has come up on the LED screen in the dash and if I turn it off it will not start. Most recently my traction control light stays on and my tranny is locked into 5th gear. I have park, reverse & 5th gear. Most recent DTC's are lost come with TCM & ABS control module. It seems to be getting more consistant but was very intermitant. Spent a week at ford with no progress. Truck wont start for a full day and then will start the next morning? When its bugging out it wont even prime the fuel system of turn over. Cab was off last fall to install SPE diesel STG 2 short block, Industrial compound turbo kit & water/meth kit. truck has been amazing and insane power until recent electrical/computer issues. When truck is bugging out tuner will not communicate with the truck and cannt read codes or remove programmer. Any one have any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ones I've seen were caused by the ABS control module. The CAN bus that several modules are on (IC, ABS, PCM, etc.) have 2 wires connecting all of them (ever seen twisted wires?). Each "leg" uses 120 ohms resistance. Without getting too technical, together, they have 60 ohms. If a problem develops in one of the modules, or wiring to one, it disables all of them. I've found them by pulling fuses one at a time, then running a network test with the IDS. When the right one is disabled, the network starts to work.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
ruffneck22
Senior User
Where would a guy find these modules? I think it is to due with the ABS one. Most common recently is ABS fault, Hill descent fault and my traction control light is on. I have no idea where to look. and can ford run these tests with my truck tuned cause it wont run without my tuner as you may have guessed from my mods.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffneck22
Where would a guy find these modules? I think it is to due with the ABS one. Most common recently is ABS fault, Hill descent fault and my traction control light is on. I have no idea where to look. and can ford run these tests with my truck tuned cause it wont run without my tuner as you may have guessed from my mods.
Really depends on the dealer. Some ignore mods and try to get to the root of the cause, others (most) will be quick to blame ANY mod for the problems and wash theirs hands of dealing with it. I've never heard of the problem you're describing, but it sounds like you've got some issues with several modules including the PCM. It will be very difficult for the dealer to run their standard diagnostics with so much of your program being customized.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For $10 IIRC you can purchase a 48 hour subscription to motorcraftservice.com for your specific vehicle's factory service manuals.

You should be able to find the locations of modules in those shop manuals. I imagine you can find the fuses as Vloney suggested using the owner's manual.

Bob

Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM
ruffneck22
Senior User
My dealership has no issues working on my truck and they know that its not my tuning. They've got some time into it already and found bent pin ends in some connectors and the problem went away but came back a little differently. Pretty sure its something to do with the ABS or traction control.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,627 Likes on 1,449 Posts
Just a thought but are all of the grounds connected and in good shape.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the electrical part of shop manual it shows the location of the connector C135 to the ABS is located on top of right frame (passenger side) just where the frame comes down from arch at right front wheel. Looks like it would be just to rear of your right front wheel on top of frame.

There are three fuses: F86 (25A); F96 (50A); and F54 (10A). F54 is VPWR and probably the only fuse you would need to unplug to kill the logic level power as suggested for diagnostics by Vloney.

Good luck; keep in mind, most of these modules require configuration upon replacement with the factory scan tool.

Bob

Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
ruffneck22
Senior User
Nice. Thanks Bob. Ill be looking for some messed up wiring and pulling that fuse tonight and see if my truck will start before sending it back to ford.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Here is some info that may help you.
If you need anything else from the manual let me know.

Once I had a communication failure between the ECM and EVERYTHING but it was definately not intermittent. It was a H&S glitch and they got it fixed up but every warning light was on and the truck didn't even know how many km were on it. Would not start or even crank. Would not do anything. I have not touched anything since then because everything is working good now. I got this from H&S

"Some Ford computers are crashing when loaded with a new calibration file. This crash happens at the dealer and with an aftermarket tuning device. When the computer is reflashed with data, it loses some other memory in the computer unrelated to the calibration section. This will cause a no-start condition and has thus far only been fixed with replacing the ECM. We are looking into a way to re-write the entire memory of the ECM to try and fix these failing computers, but so far do not have a solution. I have personally seen this about 5 times, most of which are warrantied by the dealer."

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Connector views.pdf (304.1 KB, 99 views)
Module comm network.pdf (340.4 KB, 125 views)
Vehicle dynamic systems.pdf (253.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
ruffneck22
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
Here is some info that may help you.
If you need anything else from the manual let me know.

Once I had a communication failure between the ECM and EVERYTHING but it was definately not intermittent. It was a H&S glitch and they got it fixed up but every warning light was on and the truck didn't even know how many km were on it. Would not start or even crank. Would not do anything. I have not touched anything since then because everything is working good now. I got this from H&S

"Some Ford computers are crashing when loaded with a new calibration file. This crash happens at the dealer and with an aftermarket tuning device. When the computer is reflashed with data, it loses some other memory in the computer unrelated to the calibration section. This will cause a no-start condition and has thus far only been fixed with replacing the ECM. We are looking into a way to re-write the entire memory of the ECM to try and fix these failing computers, but so far do not have a solution. I have personally seen this about 5 times, most of which are warrantied by the dealer."

That is exactly what my truck is doing. So if i put a new ecm in it will it work with my tuning because my truck is far beyond running without my mini max. thanks

Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffneck22
That is exactly what my truck is doing. So if i put a new ecm in it will it work with my tuning because my truck is far beyond running without my mini max. thanks
It will run for about 3 seconds with the new ECM..... That is what mine did. But you should be able to re program the new ECM with the mini and it should work after that.

BUT DON'T GET A NEW ECM YET......

Turn truck to on and go into the mini under menue and click on show settings. Does it display these ECM / TCM part numbers?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,172 Likes on 2,242 Posts
Super Darren to the rescue!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
ruffneck22
Senior User
My truck is at ford now and they are working on it. So far it may be a wire issue it seems. they wiggled the tranny wire harness and it stopped messing up so they are tracing wires. Pretty sure it did show ecm/pcm number though.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Darren. The SUPERDUTY tune tech. Comes highly recommended. He gets a 10 plus rating.great work buddy.

Quick Reply: Communication Failre with all modules