2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 FX4 5.4L engine issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM
ghostface147
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 FX4 5.4L engine issues?

Hello all. Longtime lurker, now it's time to seek assistance. I have a 2004 F150 FX4 5.4L with 173k miles on it. I have noticed a couple of things that have got me thinking whether it's time to get a new vehicle.

1. Excessive oil consumption. At 169,000 miles, I got an oil change (always use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20) and they said I had no oil and showed me the dipstick. Now at 173k, no oil again. I've parked it overnight in parking spaces with no oil stains and in the morning there are still no oil stains.

2. The engine sometimes sounds like a hard drive working. I looked online and it seems to be pre-ignition. I've used 93 octane, 89 and regular 87 and while 93 makes the sound less often, it's present in all octanes. I use Chevron 90% of time. I've tried using injector cleaners, same thing. It doesn't do it all the time. I've also changed fuel filters recently.

3. When the vehicle is running, a smell of fuel is present (doesn't smell inside the cab). Maybe bad cats? They've never been changed. I think that means the engine is running rich.

4. When accelerating, I most of the time hear a small high-pitched whistle sound.

The only things that aren't OEM on my vehicle is my exhaust and I have a full K&N filter kit. Everything else is stock. Anyways, with all these issues, plus a cranky a/c and heating system...it makes me wonder if a new vehicle is due.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

GF147

Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

GF,

First and foremost welcome to the forum, I've been apart of this site for just a touch over 8 years and there is a wealth of information between some of us senior users and moderators.

Have you done the plugs on her yet?? I'm not alluding to the fact that it may be the plugs, but you could pull one and check them out to see if she is burning oil.

Usually you would have a gray smoke but sometimes not if you are burning oil. There was another poster here about 3-5 years ago that had a problem with always being a quart or two short when they would get routine oil changes. There was also a poster that mentioned that the shop was only putting 5 quarts of oil because the techs didn't know that the crankcase required 7 quarts....

In any case I've had my truck for over 8 years and if that's the only thing wrong with it and its paid off, IMHO it would be cost effective to drop a new engine in if that's all it needs. Our trucks are old enough now to start finding used motors as well.

In any case, you can IM me if you need help searching this forum and again welcome!!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ed-advice.html

Check out the post by SBOYCHUCK..maybe your culprit?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM
ghostface147
New User
I appreciate your response. I changed the plugs a little after 100k and due to misfiring, a little after 60k past that. If I pull out a plug (without breaking it), what am I looking for that would show it burning oil?

Also, any ideas on the sounds when driving that sound like a hard drive churning? Is it a knock? Pre-ignition?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

If you could get a video or sound clip loaded to youtube or the like maybe I could help you diagnose it. A few questions for you though...
  1. Engine Light/Codes?
  2. When you say hard drive churning, is it bogging down?
  3. Does it sound like its getting no air?
  4. Exhuast....Back-Cat or do you have headers too?
  5. When did you last change your fuel filter?
  6. Does it do it both on flat and hills?
  7. Is the problem worse when its coming from a cold start?
  8. You mentioned fuel injector cleaners....did you change your fuel filter after?
  9. Do you wait until your truck says "LOW FUEL" before refueling?
Keep in mind where you put gas has a lot to do with it. Here are a few factors:
  • Age of station
  • When the tank (Staion's) is refueled it stirs up the bottom contents and it in turn pumps it into your truck
  • Ethonol is the enemy..it attracts water...
Finaly if you put a CAI intake on your truck your probably running lean not rich, at least in my experience of installing them on about 8 trucks with our same engine. They all threw lean codes.

SPARK PLUG PIC LINKS:

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/reso..._condition.jpg

http://www.procarcare.com/images/sha...a/Tccs2138.jpg

http://www.airfoolers.com/performanc...rbon_large.jpg

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Oil usage , at those miles you may need a thicker oil . Fuel mileage ? Do you have any codes ? You can have codes and no CEL . A lean run condition will cause excessive fuel usage . Pinging can be caused by lean run ,or rich run "popping " sound in cats . You should have running issues and codes present . I do think your engine is designed to run on 87 octane petrol . Ck your owners guide . Just a few thoughts . Good luck!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
ghostface147
New User
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotINCL
If you could get a video or sound clip loaded to youtube or the like maybe I could help you diagnose it. A few questions for you though...
  1. Engine Light/Codes?
  2. When you say hard drive churning, is it bogging down?
  3. Does it sound like its getting no air?
  4. Exhuast....Back-Cat or do you have headers too?
  5. When did you last change your fuel filter?
  6. Does it do it both on flat and hills?
  7. Is the problem worse when its coming from a cold start?
  8. You mentioned fuel injector cleaners....did you change your fuel filter after?
  9. Do you wait until your truck says "LOW FUEL" before refueling?
Keep in mind where you put gas has a lot to do with it. Here are a few factors:
  • Age of station
  • When the tank (Staion's) is refueled it stirs up the bottom contents and it in turn pumps it into your truck
  • Ethonol is the enemy..it attracts water...
Finaly if you put a CAI intake on your truck your probably running lean not rich, at least in my experience of installing them on about 8 trucks with our same engine. They all threw lean codes.

SPARK PLUG PIC LINKS:

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/reso..._condition.jpg

http://www.procarcare.com/images/sha...a/Tccs2138.jpg

http://www.airfoolers.com/performanc...rbon_large.jpg
1. I don't have a way to check codes (except maybe taking it to auto zone), but last time I did, it didn't show anything.
2. No, not bogging...just that sound.
3. I hear the air coming in fine. It doesn't sound like it's struggling to breathe.
4. The exhaust was added behind the cats.
5. Last oil change, 169k.
6. Being Houston, it's all flat. It does everywhere when it happens.
7. It doesn't matter if it's cold or warm starts.
8. I put the fuel injector cleaner after I changed the fuel filter. I never used injector cleaners before 169k.
9. No I don't wait until the no fuel indicator, but I do run it pretty dry.

As for recording the sound, I'll have to do that. Thanks for your input.

GF147

Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The first question I have is what you mean by "no oil"...I assume it is below the level of the dipstick entirely.

WHY ARE YOU NOT CHECKING YOUR OIL WEEKLY AT LEAST? YOU NEED TO KEEP THE OIL ABOVE THE "LOW" MARK ON THE STICK OR YOU WILL KILL YOUR ENGINE. Sorry for yelling, but it sounds like you drive 4000 miles without even checking the oil? If your engine burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles, it is not a big deal by old days standards...but don't let the stick get below the "add oil" mark.

Good luck,
George

Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM
ghostface147
New User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
The first question I have is what you mean by "no oil"...I assume it is below the level of the dipstick entirely.

WHY ARE YOU NOT CHECKING YOUR OIL WEEKLY AT LEAST? YOU NEED TO KEEP THE OIL ABOVE THE "LOW" MARK ON THE STICK OR YOU WILL KILL YOUR ENGINE. Sorry for yelling, but it sounds like you drive 4000 miles without even checking the oil? If your engine burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles, it is not a big deal by old days standards...but don't let the stick get below the "add oil" mark.

Good luck,
George
Yes that is correct. There is nothing on the dipstick. In the past I've looked at my dipstick and the times I have checked, there was always something on the dipstick above the minimum mark. The last couple of times it hasn't.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ghostface147
Yes that is correct. There is nothing on the dipstick. In the past I've looked at my dipstick and the times I have checked, there was always something on the dipstick above the minimum mark. The last couple of times it hasn't.
You should then be checking the oil often...at least weekly or when you put in gas, and when it gets down near the low mark, add oil at that point to put it to the top. Carry a quart or two in the truck so you don't get gouged buying oil.

In the 70's, I owned English cars that burned or leaked a quart every 200-300 miles, and I never let the oil level get below the "add" mark. Part of caring for a vehicle, just like giving a diabetic his insulin.

Level surface, check after the truck has sat for at least 10-15 minutes (not right after turning it off). Wipe the stick off, reinsert. If the oil level is below the dipstick low level, you are hastening the demise of your engine. Whether you keep your truck or sell it, doing so with a frozen up engine is not going to be to your benefit.

ps--you might also want to move up to 5W30 oil, perhaps in a high mileage formula, and use a semi-synthetic as opposed to a full synthetic to reduce the cost of adding oil. No need to use full syn to "protect" your engine as it is already getting loose. High mileage formulas will sometimes reduce consumption a bit, and although I usually don't recommend a heavier oil, 5W30 is marginally heavier. The name of the game is to not run the engine low on oil under any circumstances--low being below the "add 1 quart" mark.

Good luck,
George

Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
ghostface147
New User
I did what you recommended and there is nothing appearing on the dipstick whatsoever. I am going to go autozone and pick up 2 quarts of oil. I am going to put one in and see where it raises it to. Then another one it doesn't even get to the low mark. I am curious to see how many quarts it takes to get to at least low.

FYI, I am not mechanically inclined. I can change oil, brakes, replace a tire, throttle body and that's pretty much it. I did change my air intake.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
You don't need to be mechanically inclined to keep your engine full enough of oil that it is not in danger of losing pressure and sustaining further damage.

Start using 5W30 high mileage oil with the oil you add. If you have changed oil, I am assuming you know where to pour in the oil and how to check it properly. Again, let the truck sit for 10-15 minutes if possible before you check it for an accurate reading. It will read a bit low right after you turn it off because oil higher up in the engine will be slowly running down to the sump. But even right after turning the truck off you should see *some* oil on the stick...

Figure out how many miles it takes your engine to use a quart of oil. This will at least give you a starting point to discuss your issues with a mechanic or the dealer, or with us on the forum.

Good luck,
George

Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM
ghostface147
New User
Will do and I appreciate your response. Out of curiosity, mixing 5W-20 (which was done at the last oil change 4k ago) and 5W-30 high mileage won't cause an issue will it? Also, how do I measure a quart of oil being used? Is there something on the dipstick I should be looking for?

I know, I sound completely helpless. However have me diagnose a computer......you can't beat me...lol.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
ghostface147
New User
Ok, I went ahead and put two quarts in. Now the oil shows on the dipstick a little over the low line.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
It should take one quart to get from add to full mark.

Quick Reply: 2004 FX4 5.4L engine issues?