1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
electronic ignition

I see a couple threads on using HEI. I have been tempted but never bought one. No arguing of the simplicity and benefits. Personally, I just couldn't get past having that big ugly chevy part in my face. I know it's a little more work but I have used a Duraspark II distributor with the coil from an efi engine with a GM module (you can even hide it inside a duraspark module if you want). I've been running one on a 300-6 for years and love it. All junkyard parts except the new module, about $50 total investment.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

I'll take my points over an HEI on my Ford. Sorry, just can't stomach that beast taking up the whole front of the engine. Duraspark, maybe.

I still run points on my blown 390!!! 10 yrs, haven't touched them yet. Goes to 6K rpm before you know it.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am running a Duraspark II with a Chrysler ignition box works great. I got all new parts but made sure that they were parts that could be found in a junk yard so that if i ever have an issue i will be able to get parts if i have to.

I agree that the GM HEI are just too big to look good

Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 AM
rustywheel68
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have done a TON of reading on this, and if you're not afraid of wire, you can easily (and cheaply) get aftermarket performance for junkyard pricing.

i'm with you- can't stand the look of the HEI distributor.
if i was going to HEI, i'd use the stock Duraspark dizzy and hide the HEI module in the Duraspark box.

if you've got a points distributor, you can use it to trigger the early-90s-era remote-mount TFI module.

so either way- it can be done for almost nothing. get a TFI coil, and:
if you've got DS, you spend $20 on a HEI module, and hide it.
if you're got points, you spend $25 on TFI module (junkyard pricing).

i'm running the points/TFI setup in my Galaxie, and love it.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

My biggest stink about electronics is.........ya they are pretty bulletproof. BUT, with the crap I have to do to get to them under my blower, I'd rather have a set of regular old points and not worry about random failure along the road. Not that points don't fail, but they USUALLY give you some warning(hard to start, bad idle).

Had plenty of thought of Pertronix, but with the failure rate I've heard I wasn't taking the chance there either.

To each their own.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
rustywheel68
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Freightrain
My biggest stink about electronics is.........ya they are pretty bulletproof. BUT, with the crap I have to do to get to them under my blower, I'd rather have a set of regular old points and not worry about random failure along the road. Not that points don't fail, but they USUALLY give you some warning(hard to start, bad idle).

Had plenty of thought of Pertronix, but with the failure rate I've heard I wasn't taking the chance there either.

To each their own.

believe me, i'm not knocking points. the ignition on my F100 is bone stock, and it lights up as soon as i hit the key.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

I know, not a problem. Had plenty of people ask WTF when I tell I still run stock single points in a blown motor.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
abyars111
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you wire up points and the TFI unit?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
rustywheel68
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by abyars111
How do you wire up points and the TFI unit?
i used the instructions here:
Points to Electronic Ignition Cheap & Easy - ADVrider

also go here and read the "better ignition" page:
gofastforless.com

bottom line:
remove (or bypass) resistor wire...its no longer needed.
swap your old coil out for the TFI coil. (the late 80s broncos have a nice mounting bracket.)

pins 3 & 6 get tied together, and then go to coil +
pin 5 goes to your points
pin 2 goes to coil -
pin 1 goes to a good ground

DONE.

this cost me $40 at the local junkyard and i cannot tell ANY difference over the Pertronix/MSD setup that it replaced.

i sold the Pertronix/MSD on Fleabay and ended up with $160 in my pocket.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Most of the failure of electronic ignition I have observed in my years as a shop owner were due to poor maintenance. High secondary resistance. GM did have some problems with rotors burning through in the early years of HEI but got that resolved with better materials.
I have also ran a Petronix on an old 69 390 for years with no problems. My hotrod has a 260 with points, not even new ones, the same set that it had when parked 20 years ago, fires first time every time. The problem I have with points is the crappy quality of all the ones I've bought in the last 10-15 years. The rubbing block always seems to wear away in the first 500 miles. Usually after re-setting them they seem ok though.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
williamwilliam
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Freightrain
I'll take my points over an HEI on my Ford. Sorry, just can't stomach that beast taking up the whole front of the engine. Duraspark, maybe.

I still run points on my blown 390!!! 10 yrs, haven't touched them yet. Goes to 6K rpm before you know it.
One good thing about having an hei is I dont have to open my hood to look at the big dizzy. Haha. All jokes aside, I recommend the hei to anyone going electronic.....dont have all the wires as the duraspark.....cleaner look.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

On an FE, the HEI probably doesn't look so out of place. On a 302, it looks hideously oversized and out of place.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM
rustywheel68
Posting Guru
i *think* the point that Willowbilly was trying to make is that you can get HEI without having to use the HEI distributor.

and you can save yourself hundreds of dollars, as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rustywheel68
i *think* the point that Willowbilly was trying to make is that you can get HEI without having to use the HEI distributor.

and you can save yourself hundreds of dollars, as well.
I guess I'm just old and learned to make do instead of order new. I realize that a simple one wire is attractive to the masses since so many are intimidated by those little invisible electrons.
Same with the popularity of Delco one wire alternators. Pure junk IMHO, when you could have a 3G ford that makes 95 amps at idle, takes up less room has the brushes and regulator serviceable from the out side. They are $10 all day long in the junkyards and only require 2 wires but that's 2 more than many hobbiests want to deal with or understand.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM
rustywheel68
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
I guess I'm just old and learned to make do instead of order new. I realize that a simple one wire is attractive to the masses since so many are intimidated by those little invisible electrons.
Same with the popularity of Delco one wire alternators. Pure junk IMHO, when you could have a 3G ford that makes 95 amps at idle, takes up less room has the brushes and regulator serviceable from the out side. They are $10 all day long in the junkyards and only require 2 wires but that's 2 more than many hobbiests want to deal with or understand.
Man, you are speaking my language. There is NOTHING better than a junkyard upgrade.

I'm not an electrician- but I can follow directions. There's so much good information available that makes this stuff easy to set up.

I've always been surprised that these types of low-dollar junkyard swaps don't get more attention.

Quick Reply: electronic ignition