IDI guy's 400HP Centurion build

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDI guy's 400HP Centurion build

Here she is. F-350 Centurion "4 door Bronco"

I have been in love with the idea of having a 4 door bronco since I first saw one a few years ago. It has a little rust but the body work is minor. The engine build will be a topic for conversation I am aiming high and saying 400hp. Hopefully Racin AKA R&D IDI performance parts will come through on the performance parts I need (studs, cam, 180cc IP, turbo... A3000...? we will see about that) The block that I have for the build is a 94 7.3l IDIT no cavitarion I already checked with a borescope.

I also have a ZF5 that I will be using. I payed $250 and a 12 pack for this pallet haha what a deal.

Right now she has a 460 with E4od and that will be coming out as soon as the engine is finished. I am thinking about the paint and havent decided on colors yet but I do have access to an awesome paint booth, so lots of posibilities. I have 2 sets of bronco bucket seats and I will use them for the first and second row seats. The third row will be the standard bronco back seat but will be quick release so they are easy to take in and out. I am going to do the upholstery and all of seats will be leather upholstered. I found this at the junk yard

I wish I could find another one beacuse I held it up to my truck and it sure looked nice. More to follow, let me know what you guys think.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What do I think? Ha ha ha.
1) Awesome project
2) Cool vehicle
3) +1 performance IDI builder always good to see!

So what is "bore scope"? Is that the same as sonic testing? How much did that cost to have done? Got an IDIT with 218k I'd like to know about, everyone's telling me there's no good way to tell if it's cavitated... it's out of the truck so the usual smell the exhaust advice, or coolant system related checks don't help much...

Last edited by Ford F834; 02-10-2013 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Add
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 AM
IDI guy
Elder User

It is a camera, It didnt cost me anything I just used the one we have at work. It is bad a**! it records in 1080p and is aboud 1/8 inch diameter and you can fully articulate the tip. I inspected the walls of the cylinders visually in HiDef I feel like that was sufficient, but just for the hell of it I gave it a good smelling, but it just smelled like cra* not sure what that means.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IDI guy

It is a camera, It didnt cost me anything I just used the one we have at work. It is bad a**! it records in 1080p and is aboud 1/8 inch diameter and you can fully articulate the tip. I inspected the walls of the cylinders visually in HiDef I feel like that was sufficient, but just for the hell of it I gave it a good smelling, but it just smelled like cra* not sure what that means.
I wondered if that would work.... I have seen fiber optic cameras like that for handyman use to see inside walls (looking at plumbing, wiring studs etc.), but they were nowhere near that definition or slender size!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
When you work on $40,000,000 helos you get better toys than plumbers have.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IDI guy
When you work on $40,000,000 helos you get better toys than plumbers have.
No s***!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hahah, nice lookin project.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
merc460
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that thing is awsome, I can't believe I never seen one before they must be really rare?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Subscribed!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
That's gonna be a badass build! Its always cool to see a high power build and yours will be the first in a Centurion. You gonna lift it at all?

Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM
IDI guy
Elder User
Yeah it is going to get the shackle swap in the front and I think that gives you about 4-5" of lift and a shackle flip in the rear hopefully that makes quite a diference in the ride. Im thinking im going to run 35" tires too.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Brant Bowrifle
Tuned
Awesome. I love the centurions. I almost bought one but it was a powerstroke and I wanted an idi or one like yours I could swap out. It looks good from the pic. You going to give it a paint job when it's all done or leave it?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Cool project man, keep us updated on the engine build, Id like to see what people do different with these idi builds to see what works best if that makes sense.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Brant Bowrifle
Awesome. I love the centurions. I almost bought one but it was a powerstroke and I wanted an idi or one like yours I could swap out. It looks good from the pic. You going to give it a paint job when it's all done or leave it?
Yeah I am thinking black and copper with the bronco top black,all the plastic "chrome" black with black and copper leather interior. I do leather work and have made some vinyl seats before so I think leather will be cool ,if I can find a good deal on the leather, but most likely it will be seat upholstery with some leather beacuse it gets pretty expensive. here is picture of the colors I want to use. (awesome car too!)

Originally Posted by southtexasidi
Cool project man, keep us updated on the engine build, Id like to see what people do different with these idi builds to see what works best if that makes sense.
A lot of what I plan on doing is very similar to NMB2 and Racin's builds mainly beacuse they have had such success it would be a whole diferent animal to go into the R&D game like they had to do. I am also limited on resources beacuse Im on an island where getting things is kinda hard. I hopefully will be getting my 4db pump soon.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
I ordered the engine internals today I had a hard time finding a place to get a custom kit with quality parts but I finaly found this site Industrial Diesel Engine Replacement Parts Dealer, Aftermarket Rebuild & Overhaul Kit Systems Supplier I should get the cam and studs from R&D this week. The engine build is comming allong well... Now I need to decide on a turbo...

Quick Reply: IDI guy's 400HP Centurion build