Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mirror swap?

I recently sold my ranger, and upgrading to the REAL truck world. Have a few trucks ranging from '93 to early '97 F-250s lined up to look at.

One is beautiful, 96 XLT off road package... Problem is it has the dinky little "sports" style mirrors... And I plan on hauling a camper. I hate the looks of them on an F250 anyways, so...

Can they be removed and replaced with the Chrome "swing away" mirrors?

I know I'd have to drill two holes for the bottom mount (not a worry), but I'm concerned about the top factory holes from the stock mirrors... Will the be covered? and will they work for the folding mirrors or are they off by a bit (probably likely)

Anyways any pictures of your swaps, ir info would be great!

Also, any info on potential common problems to look for in these years of F-250's would be helpful. One has a 351, the other 2 have 460's (leaning towards the 351)

Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Looking backward...

Yes, you can remove those paddle mirrors and replace them with either of the other two styles. The larger two-position towing mirror bases would better cover the mount points of your current mirrors. I would strongly suggest, though, that if you want a proper install that will both look good and last you will want to use stainless machine screws and threaded inserts rather than just popping sheet metal screws through the door panels. Take detailed and precise measurements from either your donor truck or another (with owner's permission, of course) to be sure you get the mount points correct. The older models of the dual-position mounts had three screws across the top bar while later models cut down to two. Either style should fit. Units from E-Series vans should also fit.

If your current mirrors are of the power variety you can leave the wiring intact in case you ever want to swap them back in. I hope this helps.

dn.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Thanks for the info donner! That was very helpful... The one with the paddle morrors didnt end up, but good to know for future reference!!!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
donnor gave the INcorrect info.

If you have the standard 2 bolt mirrors, the ONLY mirror that will cover up the large square hole left from the inner outrigger will be the Large 5 bolt Gooseneck mirrors.

The 4 bolt western swing aways will NOT fully cover the square hole

Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Good to know... Thanks for the clarification...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
donnor
More Turbo
The hole truth...

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
donnor gave the INcorrect info.

If you have the standard 2 bolt mirrors, the ONLY mirror that will cover up the large square hole left from the inner outrigger will be the Large 5 bolt Gooseneck mirrors.

The 4 bolt western swing aways will NOT fully cover the square hole
It depends on where you mount the larger mirrors. And, I would submit, that the two-position [gooseneck - as you are calling them] towing mirror mounts (which in later models had four-bolt mounts while the earlier [read 1970s to late 1980s or early 90] had the five-bolt mounts. The intermediate size that I assume you are referring to would better cover the aforementioned outrigger opening because the upper mount is taller than the flat strap used as the upper mount arm on the larger two-position mirrors.

Either way, you would also want to be sure the mirror brackets are not mounted in direct contact to the door skin metal. Get the plastic shims from the salvage yard if you need them or fashion them from an appropriate nylon or nylon type material. If you fail to do this you are inviting rust.

dn.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I am talking era correct mirrors

sport mirrors(nemo mirrors).2 bolts from out side and 1 bolt of outrigger. They come in power and manual. They also come in all black and chrome head

Western /swing aways. 4 bolt

Gooseneck/tow mirrors. 4 bolt

The gooseneck WILL cover the square hole in the door from the "sport" mirror. The gooseneck will also reuse the original 2 mounting holes. the 2 lower ones will need to be drilled.

The Swing away mirror will NOT cover Completely the the square hole.
The swing aways will reuse ONE on the original holes from the "sport" mirrors, the rest would need to be drilled

Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Smile Mirror, Mirror...

Brad: I too am referring to "era correct" mirrors. Ford's Owner Guides used the term "standard fold away mirror" for the smallest close to the vehicle units of which both the manual and power units share the same basic structure. What you are calling "western" (which they really are not since "western" is a vertical orientation with a mount point at the top of the door - the type typically found on larger trucks and tractor-trailers) Ford called "low-mount swing away" and yes, if retrofitting these era-correct units to a truck that came with the standard fold away mirrors the large square hole for the outrigger can be completely covered by the upper mount bracket.

You may need to reinstall at least one of the Torx head mount screws to give a finished look or, better, obtain a black phosphate or chrome/stainless (depending on your color scheme and/or personal preferences) machine screw to plug/fill the mount hole.

I'm not trying to be difficult - just more precise with the language and terms as found in Ford sales & service literature. And I do admire the work you have done on your trucks!

dn.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
That is fine on the actual name but they do NOT cover the hole square hole, they do not mount high enough

Old 05-29-2019, 05:39 PM
spartan-alteran
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found a pair myself

sorry to barge in this thread , but im also trying to convert my cheap uggly plastic mirrors to gooseneck mirrors , i got the plastic cups that came with these mirrors but the 2 holes i got to drill in the door do i uses self tapping screws or bolt/nut? also do i buy a tube of sylecone to make sure water don't go crawling in my door?! im supersize no one done a how to video of this yet

Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by spartan-alteran
i found a pair myself

sorry to barge in this thread , but im also trying to convert my cheap uggly plastic mirrors to gooseneck mirrors , i got the plastic cups that came with these mirrors but the 2 holes i got to drill in the door do i uses self tapping screws or bolt/nut? also do i buy a tube of sylecone to make sure water don't go crawling in my door?! im supersize no one done a how to video of this yet

You want to use a nut and bolt or like the factory did with nutserts.

I recommend a piece of aluminum flat stock on the inside of the door to sandwich the door skin and give it a little more structure

Old 07-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Steve-E
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Brad, where can you find those chrome gooseneck mirrors with the light? I’m having trouble finding the replacement glass mirrors for mine, but I like those with the turn signal lights.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Steve-E
Diesel Brad, where can you find those chrome gooseneck mirrors with the light? I’m having trouble finding the replacement glass mirrors for mine, but I like those with the turn signal lights.

I made them

Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 PM
Exwhyze
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

I bolted these type 2's to my 89. They came off a '75. Few extra aeration holes in my door, but it doesn't whistle and honestly has no issues with water intrusion or freezing. I made my own custom shims out of a plastic garbage can. Besides the gnarly blind spot behind the mirror, I can see the world out of those damn things. Especially with a spot mirror bolted on below the main mirror head.

Honestly wanted the type 12s but I wasn't about to pay that price for a nice pair.