Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine coughed and died ...help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Doucheatron
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine coughed and died ...help?

So there I was, driving along to check to make sure a place I was working on had adequate drainage for this rainstorm passing through. Everything sounded fine, engine wasn't making any strange sounds, responded normally to the throttle. I pull up to a stop light and after I come to a complete stop, the engine start to idle roughly, as though all of a sudden I wasn't getting fuel to one cylinder.

The light turns green, I give it some fuel and it's slow off the line, still running rough. Just before the next light, about 3/4 of a mile or so, it runs increasingly rough before sputtering out. One attempt to restart was negative.

I thought I might have run out of fuel, as I have done so once before, so when I got towed back home, I walked to the local gas station and got 5 gal of fuel. I put it tin the tank, and tried to start up. The first attempt I got mostly cranking, with what sounded like the occasional halting fire of a piston. I let the starter cool for a few minutes. Second attempt was similar, but the starter was starting to bog down. Another few minutes rest, and tried again - this time the starter really sounded like it was struggling, some of the dash lights started to flicker abnormally, and there was sort of a rapid clicking sound from the dash.

I have no idea what's going on. If it weren't for the flickering and clicking I'd almost guess it was the UVCH, but I did the $.50 mod last year. I suppose it's possible one of the harnesses wen't bad, but would it go from normal to toast in the span of two minutes?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
The flickering lights and clicking sounds are low battery

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
Charge battery and try again, sounds like you ran it out of fuel and there is air in the lines.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
Also make sure that the fuel pump is working you can hear these running, let the fuel bowl fill up by Turing the key to start wait about 45 sec and do this 4-5 times. Then try to start it. It will be ruff running for 50-100 miles while you get all the air out of the system.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Doucheatron
Junior User
Yeah, just remembered that I didn't hear the fuel pump when I turned the key (though it was raining hard enough I wouldn't necessarily have heard it if it were operating normally). I supposed if the fuel pump died, it would have the same symptoms. Happily I'll be able to walk to where I need to work tomorrow, then I should have enough time in the afternoon to try it again.

The batteries shouldn't be bad, they're less than 2.5 years old.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Get them recharged quickly if you're not already all over that. Leaving them uncharged will ruin them.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Doucheatron
The batteries shouldn't be bad, they're less than 2.5 years old.
My battery's went bad after 1 year, replaced them under warranty. The flickering dash and the clicking noise, and prob a beep like your door is open if you continued to crank is a sign of week battery's. it does not mean that your battery's are bad you just have been trying to crank your truck excessively.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your batteries are definitely to low to start the truck right now. The clicking seems to start about 6-8 volts, you need at least 10 to fire the the injectors.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Doucheatron
Junior User
Would 6-8 volts be enough to start the fuel pump? I tried turning the key to 'on' this morning several times and didn't hear the fuel pump run. I didn't have time today, but tomorrow I'm taking my batteries to Advance to see if they'll charge. I figure it's a 50/50 shot that they'll tell me at least one won't take a charge and I need to replace it, but I'm leery of buying a charger and trying to charge it in my apartment.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doucheatron
Would 6-8 volts be enough to start the fuel pump? I tried turning the key to 'on' this morning several times and didn't hear the fuel pump run.
I would think so but I'm not sure. I have never heard the pump on my truck, you may have put your on it and have someone turn the key. Some are just quite.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Doucheatron
Junior User
No, I wouldn't have to do that. I've owned the truck for two years and in all that time the fuel pump's been audible from the cab if it's not noisy outside. I turn the key, and it squeaks and chatters for about 20 seconds. I picked up a new pump today after work, tomorrow afternoon I should have time to deal with the batteries. If that doesn't make the pump come on, then I'll try installing the new one.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
srteach
Elder User
The longer the batteries carry a low charge, the more permanent damage there will be to them.