1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wow! I'm a pro welder now.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! I'm a pro welder now.

Just hooked up my new Mig welder and what a difference it makes. It is so much easier to run a row of nickels. I should have bought one of these years ago. I'll never go back to my stick welder.
I am excited about patching my floorboards now. I was dreading it with my stick welder.
I'm impressed!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Which one did you buy?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now just wait until you try TIG !
Have fun with the new toy and for your floor boards you will want to run an .023 solid core wire with a 25/75 argon mix. This set up makes sheet metal work so much nicer than any other MIG combo.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
what brand did u buy? what power is it? what input does it have? i just bought a new mig also but haven't used it yet. i have easy access to 220v but i got a 110v unit. should i send it back?

quentin

Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by fixnair
Just hooked up my new Mig welder and what a difference it makes. It is so much easier to run a row of nickels. I should have bought one of these years ago. I'll never go back to my stick welder.
I am excited about patching my floorboards now. I was dreading it with my stick welder.
I'm impressed!
My feelings, exactly. Been a couple times I wished I still had my old arc welder, though.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
Have you read my MIG welding tutorial?

Qman, It depends on which 115V welder you bought. I am using a 115V Hobart 140 in my shop. If I was buying today, the Eastwood 135 would be at the top of my list, a bargain for a very capable welder. I like the 115 V machine for it's portability, I can weld anywhere there is a standard outlet. If used properly it will weld anything I have a reason to weld. I have made shaping stakes for body work and tool rests for my wood lathe welding 1/4" strap to 1" diameter bar, then change wire size to weld 24ga. CR sheet with my "little" welder. If I wanted to spend more money, be tied to a 220V outlet and/or do a lot of aluminum welding I'd opt for the Eastwood 175 with the included spool gun.
Disclaimer: I have no connection to Eastwood, I have tested their machine while teaching introduction to MIG welding, and was quite impressed. They are such an identical clone of the Lincoln machines that I believe they are built in the same factory, just painted a different color.

Raytasch, I see "tombstone" stick welders going cheap on CL. Mine has been sitting in the corner of my shop collecting dust since I bought the MIG. I keep it around just in case I decide to build a trailer... or a bridge.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still used my stick welder for the heavy welding but love the mig. Now after having the pace-maker installed I am told not to used a welder or any tool of a 220 electric source. They also said not to even get close to anyone using a Tig, Garry

Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL,, I have been running wire feed welders for years but just recently (like 3 months ago) bought my first auto darkening helmet and retired my ol' trap door neck breaker. It's soo much nicer and I feel dumb for not trashing the old hemet years ago. I just wish it was in the budget to buy a 150/175 welder, the little Craftsman thing my wife bought me is a bit tempermental at times but I dare not bad mouth it because her heart was in the right place and she bought it for my B day a few years ago.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
No offense Project 55, but anyone who still uses a fixed shade helmet instead of a self darkening one is living in the "dark ages". (pun intended!)
The only thing worse is the toy like "mask on a steeek" that some manufacturers throw in the box with the cheap welders. Throw those in the garbage, use for holloween mask, or stick it in a drawer for when a neighbor is attracted by the bright light and wants to watch you weld. At least it will keep one of his hands busy and away from what you are doing...
I'm not usually fond of Harbor Fright stuff, but their 39.95 (with always available coupon) self darkening helmet is surprisingly serviceable as a first or second (for the wife or helper) helmet.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
No offense Project 55, but anyone who still uses a fixed shade helmet instead of a self darkening one is living in the "dark ages". (pun intended!)
The only thing worse is the toy like "mask on a steeek" that some manufacturers throw in the box with the cheap welders. Throw those in the garbage, use for holloween mask, or stick it in a drawer for when a neighbor is attracted by the bright light and wants to watch you weld. At least it will keep one of his hands busy and away from what you are doing...
I'm not usually fond of Harbor Fright stuff, but their 39.95 (with always available coupon) self darkening helmet is surprisingly serviceable as a first or second (for the wife or helper) helmet.

LOL,, If I am anything then I am a creature of habit, my dad taught me to weld some 40+ years ago with a full face helmet and I thought I became a god in 1980 when I laid down my last stick weld and bought my first wire feed welder, so when I finally broke my last lens for my full face, I got on board and went auto darkening. And I feel godlike again with my new hat.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I, too have one of the 39.95 HF auto darkening helmets. There, I admit it. I must say it does work as well as more expensive helmets. I had to use my old helmet recently when the battery died on the HF (7 years old now) and I made some nice looking welds 1/4" away from they needed to be.
The batteries can be replaced on the HF helmets if you're not afraid to disassemble it. You can remove the two watch batteries that power it and get battery holders from radio shack to replace the watch batteries, or go with 4 aaa's. Some wire cutting and soldering is needed, but it's not hard. Anyone who can do basic car wiring can do it.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM
49m47
Mountain Pass
I must admit that I went to Harbor freight too. I bought the $99 flux core welder and a $39 hood. I haven't welded any body panels yet. But I did weld a wood stove. It worked better then I thought. The stove is made with 1/4" plate. It did a pretty good job but you had to let it sit and cool down a lot. I would like to get a gas welder but I'm not sure which one to get.
Has any one ever used a Hobart?
FIXNAIR What did you buy?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
The new HF SD helmets are solar powered, no batteries needed. Good welds require being able to see the weld puddle. My welding table has an adjustable spot light directly over it in addition to the ceiling lights and a window. When MIG welding your helmet faceplate should be no further than 12" away from the work. I wear my glasses under my helmet, but I still have a magnifying lens in the helmet. Helmet magnifying lenses are available for all helmets in several strengths for under 10.00. There's no shame in using "cheaters" to get a better weld.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Has any one ever used a Hobart?
FIXNAIR What did you buy?[/quote]

I have a Hobart Handler 175 that I bought from a friend that had been barely used. I have been very happy with it. My skills leave a lot to be desired, but it has done me well on the body work I have done, as well as fabbing up motor mounts, trans mount, and power brake frame mount recently.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought the Eastwood 135 110v. I was able to weld some 1/8" flat stock to a sheet of26 ga. with ease w/o burning through the thin stuff.
No way wil I get rid of my Lincoln Ranger stick welder. I repair too much structural steel. I've had a lot of experience with structural welding but could never do anything with sheet metal.
Yes AX, I did read your tutorial and learned a lot. Thank you ever so much for that. I printed each issue and have put it in a binder for future reference.
By the way, I am far from being a pro but the mig makes me feel like one.

Quick Reply: Wow! I'm a pro welder now.