6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 tuning ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
noimports
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6.4 tuning ideas

I'm considering a tuner/programmer for my 2010 f250 but I dont know the differences or where to start. I'm not too worried about more power but if it was a side benefit then great. I'm more interested in improving mpg's and eliminatiing the turbo lag so it drives nicer. I know there is dpf off and dpf on. I would consider eliminating the dpf but it would have to be relatively simple. I'm not the most mechanically inclined lol. I live in a testing county so I would have to return it to stock once every two years. I would want to do it myself. How much is involved and how long does it take? What about dpf on tuners? Will they improve mpg or help with the lag? It is mostly an unloaded driver. Part time camper puller in the summer. 3.55 gears. I already have the Edge Insight monitor and would like to keep using it. I would also like to keep the cost under a grand. Any thoughts?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
You could just run a DOC/DPF delete pipe and leave the rest of the exhaust from that point back factory. Its extremely easy to get on and back off if need be. As for tuning, the price of H&S stuff has skyrocketed after the EPA fiasco. SCT and Spartan are your other options. I run Spartan tuning and love it. Different strokes for different folks though. I daily drive/very LIGHT tow with the 275hp tune. Mileage increase was 2-3 MPGs when I had the factory tires. Now that I have 35" tires, the fuel mileage increase with the DPF delete is hardly noticeable. As for turbo lag, it is no existant with tuning. They light quick. Tuned vs stock 6.4 is the second best example of night and day difference besides the actual difference between night and day. Keeping the cost under a grand can be done, but will probably have to be done with a used tuner.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a product called DPF/R. Doesn't change anything other than eliminate the regeneration process. That'll keep you under a G.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Delta2142
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
That option won't help him with his turbo lag though.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by UGA33
You could just run a DOC/DPF delete pipe and leave the rest of the exhaust from that point back factory. Its extremely easy to get on and back off if need be. As for tuning, the price of H&S stuff has skyrocketed after the EPA fiasco. SCT and Spartan are your other options. I run Spartan tuning and love it. Different strokes for different folks though. I daily drive/very LIGHT tow with the 275hp tune. Mileage increase was 2-3 MPGs when I had the factory tires. Now that I have 35" tires, the fuel mileage increase with the DPF delete is hardly noticeable. As for turbo lag, it is no existant with tuning. They light quick. Tuned vs stock 6.4 is the second best example of night and day difference besides the actual difference between night and day. Keeping the cost under a grand can be done, but will probably have to be done with a used tuner.
X2, I run the spartan as well and couldn't be happier. If it's a thought at all then get one quick before they're all illegal. F U EPA!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM
noimports
Senior User
Still trying to read and learn. DPF delete is obviously the best way to make it run better. But I'm not sure I want to run the truck illegally. Plus living in a testing area I would have to keep returning it to stock. I also worry about the warranty. My luck would be a break down while on a trip with no way to return the truck to stock before getting towed. banks 6 gun looks good. does it tie up the OBD port? I would like to keep using the EDGE monitor I already have and dont want to spend extra money for the IQ. Are there any good custom tunes for DPF on? I found a used SCT SF3 for $150. But it is a 3025OR which is not on the SCT website. The website shows a SCT X3 3000 for my truck with no tunes. The SF3 3025 seems to be preloaded. I get the impression it is for DPF off applications and is no longer offered by SCT. I called them and the guy was not that helpful. He said the 3025OR does not show compatible with my truck. But thats what the used one came off from. If I bought the used 3025 could it be custom tuned for DPF on or off or is it restricted to off tunes only? SCT was not much help.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
Try to roll into the throttle that will help

Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM
noimports
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Try to roll into the throttle that will help
Help with what? Turbo lag? economy? I generally take off very easy on the throttle from a stop.

I know you run the 6 gun. Does is use the OBD port? Can I use my EDGE monitor with it?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by noimports
Help with what? Turbo lag? economy? I generally take off very easy on the throttle from a stop.

I know you run the 6 gun. Does is use the OBD port? Can I use my EDGE monitor with it?
6 gun does not use the obd port. I connects directly to the pcm harness and the turbo actuator.

I don't know if it would be compatible with the edge monitor or not. I would think so since it is only a monitor.

Tipping into the throttle should help with turbo lag.

If I just hammer it I still have some turbo lag but not too bad.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
noimports
Senior User
Thanks Senix. I'll give Banks a call. I guess I am not willing to spend 12 to 1500 dollars to be illegal and possibly void my warranty. I would spend 600 dollars to increase the fun factor and possibly improve mpg.my truck is in regen a lot probably every 100 to 200 miles.other than that I've had the truck almost 3 years and it performs well and I like it. Although my towing mileage is horrible I average around 9 miles per gallon with an 8000 pound travel trailer I think it should be better than that. I don't baby it while towing I still average 65 to 70 miles an hour perhaps that's part of the problem but I can't see me backing off. what is really irritating is that I am a truck driver and our new trucks can pull 80,000 pounds at 65 miles per hour and still average 7 miles per gallon.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I get 7-9 mpgs pulling my 5th wheel as well. I am coming in at around 15K on the 5th wheel.

trailers are a big paracute.

I don't know if the banks will help or not. Perhaps it will extend the regens if you run in level two which is ecomony. I seem to be around 300 miles apart with the current flash.

When towing you can tow up to level 3 but I would recommend level two and if over 10K then stock power for the heavy tows.

Just my opinions.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Originally Posted by Delta2142
The guys at XDP have done a decent job covering themselves regarding emissions laws. They even have a pdf waiver on their site and a warning regarding fuel mileage questions to keep themselves out of trouble. Hopefully, it will keep them on the market and without fines unlike what went down with Edge.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix
I get 7-9 mpgs pulling my 5th wheel as well. I am coming in at around 15K on the 5th wheel.

trailers are a big paracute.

I don't know if the banks will help or not. Perhaps it will extend the regens if you run in level two which is ecomony. I seem to be around 300 miles apart with the current flash.

When towing you can tow up to level 3 but I would recommend level two and if over 10K then stock power for the heavy tows.

Just my opinions.
Speaking of giant parachutes, has anyone ever researched a bubble or wing or something to put on the front of the "crows nest" forward part of a big trailer to help with the aero? I've seen huge wings on the roof of dually trucks but I think it would be more practical to put something on the trailer and leave it on vs carrying around a huge wing on my truck.

I'd like something like this but on the trailer instead....
"Truck Accessory Review from SEMA to the Ford, GM and Dodge Truck Manufactures"
"Aerotravel roof wing by Wingmaster, for the same reason semi-trucks have them. Aluminum or stainless steel, the sharp looking wing directs air up and over your trailer nose. Wingmaster claims a 10% improvement to fuel economy towing. The frame clamps to your trucks roof seam inside the door. No holes and you can take the wing off fairly easy."

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM
finaddict
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Brandon D
X2, I run the spartan as well and couldn't be happier. If it's a thought at all then get one quick before they're all illegal. F U EPA!!!
100% agree. I am soooo glad I bought my H&S mini maxx two days after the EPA notification. Still running with the DPF, but really thinking to change soon.