1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Column Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering Column Suggestions

Planning on replacing the steering column on my F1 because the turn signal switch broke. It's a junk yard find, from a 77 Ford pick up. It has a nylon plate under the wheel which mounts the signal lever to the switch just got dried out with age and broke. So it's good excuse for a new column and steering wheel. After all, I can't pass inspection the way it is, at least that's what I told the wife, LOL. I started looking and there is a big price difference between a Ididit and those nice chrome ones I've seen advertised by several distributers. Any experience with one brand or another? Also, I'm not quite clear about the steering wheel adapters and horn buttons. Some need columns need adapters some don't. I'm obviously confused, Also how much length do the adapters add to the column? Thanks in advance for any advice., Dean

Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I have a Flaming River tilt and really like it. The Ididits are real good too. I'm sure they have measuring instructions on their websites. I did not buy their stuff fo hookup. Vibration dampers were expensive then, and it is not a piece you want to delete. Larger 80s GM cars have a nice damper that fits the column shaft. It has the D shaft you can trim to fit your truck. Easy to find at the salvage yard for cheap. I bought one borgeson joint. All that will be dependant on what steering box you are using. I use a Volare box, but the concept it nearly identical, just have to buy the right spline for your adaptering pieces.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Zoot,
I went with one of those knockoff ones you see on Ebay, etc. - from Gearhead enterprises or something. Pretty cheap - chrome plated plastic for the most part & the inside pieces were all plastic. We never really could get it to work right & ended up getting a more name brand one for round 2.

We used a 30 inch column with a GM wiring harness. Nice to have tilt & built in turn indicators.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Thanks guys. Ben, thanks. That's just what I was worried about those columns. You get what you pay for. So Flaming River or Ididit? Any opinions?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Thanks guys. Ben, thanks. That's just what I was worried about those columns. You get what you pay for. So Flaming River or Ididit? Any opinions?
I would check current prices from your favorite vendors Zoot. They are honestly about equal in my experience. My Flaming River works flawlessly, and there are a bunch of guys on the forum with IDIDIT columns that will tell you the same. They both use 70s style GM internals. Plug in a GM harness adapter available everywhere, and adapt it to whatever is in your truck for wiring.

What kind of steering box, IFS or stock, you runnng?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went with IDIDIT and love it. Good tech support too. I am sure Flaming River would be good also.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
I'm running a MK11 with a manual rack. 1" double D. OK last question, what length column did you get. It's a 52 F 1

Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Björn
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got ididit to works great when whe tested it

Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ZOOT
I'm running a MK11 with a manual rack. 1" double D. OK last question, what length column did you get. It's a 52 F 1
this should answer it

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

There was a tech article on steering columns in the articles/specs section at the top of the page, it's probably still there. Most of it was which junkyard donor would work. If you're OK with a used column, try an early 90's jeep cherokee. It's a standard GM column, 30" long. Most of those jeeps had floor shifters. You can get them with tilt, cruise, high beams, wipers and washers all on the column. If you get one with intermitent wipers, get the wiper control module too. The plastic is easily paintable with krylon plastic paint.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
If you go used, get one that is functional, with readily available repair parts. If you have to go inside a 20+ year old column, the nylon and plastic is often crispy, and doesn't like to reassemble without breaking.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Originally Posted by fatfenders
If you go used, get one that is functional, with readily available repair parts. If you have to go inside a 20+ year old column, the nylon and plastic is often crispy, and doesn't like to reassemble without breaking.
Yeah, that's why I'm getting a new one, crisby nylon!!!!!!! Thanks the advice.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Let's see your steering wheel

Thanks for the advice on the steering column replacement. Now I have to decide on a steering wheel style. I kept the interior as original as I could, so I don't want to change the original feel. So suggestions or let's see your wheel for ideas. Thanks again

Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not just fix the one you have? Parts are easy to find I'd think. I went through the one in my 69 crew cab and got the plastic part from a Bumper to Bumper store.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 AM
56fromm
Freshman User
How many joints did you end up with for your steering linkage?

Quick Reply: Steering Column Suggestions