6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Edge Products Fined $500,000 For Sale Of DPF Delete Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
tuners...mine is a DPF on tune. Banks is a leader in clean diesel tech.
Yeah, but what does that do? What does a tuner do with a DPF on? I don't see the advantage of it.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
fordtruggy
Senior User
My buddys 6.4 is bone stock with a minimax runnin the 120 HP DPF ON tune with 35" tires and it runs like a raped ape. Wont touch my deleted truck but its a good runner and still leagle.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
H&S is next. They quit making DPF off tuners about a month and a half ago "after discussions with federal agencies". Like somebody above said they will get to all of them and maybe some of us before it's over. I was a 40 year fed and this government is way more active in almost all areas than any others I remember. All agencies seem to be on a rampage and the EPA is no exception.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
OK, I couldn't help it, I had to do the math. Now I'm no math major so if I got this wrong just tell me and don't use words like dumber than chit, please. Edge sold 9000 tuners which the EPA said allowed the tuned trucks to release 158 tons of soot into the air. If I did the math right each of the 9000 trucks released .017 tons or 34 pounds of soot. Now, I've had a 7.3L and it sooted, but 34 pounds? I don't think so. And the 6.4 when deleted and driven sensibly makes almost no smoke, at least none that is visible. But, in the end the law is what the law says and the Justice Department brought the charges as is required by the clean air act.

I perdicted a month or so ago that someone would move their operation overseas and build tuners there. Selling over the internet from overseas I don't know if the EPA could get to them or not. Best deal for 6.4L owners would be for them to declare a "war on tuners" like the war on drugs, then they would be plentiful and cheap. Cee y'all

Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ding126
Tuners are available and well be...The difference is that the newer generations will work with your mandated smog devices..basiclly you'll be able to monitor you motor and increase power with the devices..no more deletes of pollution control devices....unless for off road / racing use.
Not exactly. EPA verbiage clearly states that altering or removing Emissions control devices for on or off road use is against the law. H&S still offers a delete option along with proper paperwork showing you are approved by the EPA to do so, but I don't see how or where you'd obtain such approval based in the EPA's laws and regs.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ETKMS
Yeah, but what does that do? What does a tuner do with a DPF on? I don't see the advantage of it.
Banks runs "Clean tunes" which is supposed to cause less frequent regens because the DPF doesn't soot up as fast.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
Gale Banks saw this day coming a looooong time ago. He was smart to pursue a clean tune that wouldn't kill the dpf, yet provide improved performance.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Delta2142
Senior User
I have the Edge Evaluation and it helps me monitor my trucks vitals and warns me of trouble. I set it for economy and it saves on MPG. I too am all stock with the exception of the AFE cold air system and that unit.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I tell ya, I have an edge, I had it on the truck for 6 months or so with the DPF on. I thought it was very useful as extra gages and best of all it would alarm when the truck went into Cleaning mode and let me know when it was done. I don't think I'd sell it back, think i'll just keep it for those uses if I need it. I think the price of DPF delete stuff is gonna go up up up. I was on ebay last night and H&S minnis are up to $1150. That's 200 buckeroos more than they sold for when H&S quit making them about a month ago.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by ETKMS
Just because it may not be legal, doesn't mean its not better for the truck. I would not just be happy with what you have just because the EPA tells you to be.
Who said I was happy "because the EPA tells me to be"? I'm happy because my engine is running like it was designed to run. It has plenty of power. I don't think the engine is going to have a shortened life because of the clean diesel technology. If it helps reduce pollutants I'm more happy . . . and I believe it does. Sure it burns a little fuel, but I didn't buy it for fuel economy!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry NCKS
Who said I was happy "because the EPA tells me to be"? I'm happy because my engine is running like it was designed to run. It has plenty of power. I don't think the engine is going to have a shortened life because of the clean diesel technology. If it helps reduce pollutants I'm more happy . . . and I believe it does. Sure it burns a little fuel, but I didn't buy it for fuel economy!
From what I've read you might be one of the lucky ones, and I know there are others out there also. But what about the majority of us that know when the truck in a cleaning mode, drive thru them no matter if it means going 15 miles out of my way(I've done it countless times) and still make oil. Dealer says that's the way it is sorry, what do I do?? Because after working on cars for 40 years I KNOW making oil with fuel IS NOT A GOOD THING!!
How do I please the EPA and myself at the same time when it seams it can't be done.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
From what I've read you might be one of the lucky ones, and I know there are others out there also. But what about the majority of us that know when the truck in a cleaning mode, drive thru them no matter if it means going 15 miles out of my way(I've done it countless times) and still make oil. Dealer says that's the way it is sorry, what do I do?? Because after working on cars for 40 years I KNOW making oil with fuel IS NOT A GOOD THING!!
How do I please the EPA and myself at the same time when it seams it can't be done.
I don't make any oil either. My duty cycle is such that it works well.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
I don't make any oil either. My duty cycle is such that it works well.
I figured you would be included in that mix Senix. But I drive through all mine, I keep track of when they happen, every 265 to 295 Miles like clockwork, have them written down on my phone. I don't idle to warm, plug it in anytime it's below 35 degrees, no one else in the family wants to bother with driving it(which really doesn't hurt my feelings), so ??

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
OK, I couldn't help it, I had to do the math. Now I'm no math major so if I got this wrong just tell me and don't use words like dumber than chit, please. Edge sold 9000 tuners which the EPA said allowed the tuned trucks to release 158 tons of soot into the air. If I did the math right each of the 9000 trucks released .017 tons or 34 pounds of soot. Now, I've had a 7.3L and it sooted, but 34 pounds? I don't think so. And the 6.4 when deleted and driven sensibly makes almost no smoke, at least none that is visible. But, in the end the law is what the law says and the Justice Department brought the charges as is required by the clean air act.
Most likely took a reading of a truck pulling away from a light at WOT with max smoke and extrapolated that it does that every second it runs. Or they are claiming future releases and figure the trucks will all run for 100 years.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Delta2142
Senior User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
How do I please the EPA and myself at the same time when it seams it can't
be done.
The last sentence is so true and I fear the relationship between us and them
will wither a bunch more in the coming years.

Quick Reply: Edge Products Fined $500,000 For Sale Of DPF Delete Kits