6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Gas in a 6.7 Diesel, driven for over 200 miles.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would at least change out the HPFP and try to recover the cost from the station. Possibly the injectors too. Think I'd be tempted even to do it on my own dime if the station wouldn't cover it.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Lucky indeed. I'm surprised the dealership didn't go straight for the complete fuel system replacement, especially after learning its a gas station insurance issue.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Just moved away from OR after living there for 9 years. The Fred Meyer, where I lived and frequently fueled up, told me that I was allowed to pump my own diesel from start to finish...so I did. Maybe ask them next time and just always do it yourself.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
It would be a good idea to just change the HPFP now just to be on the safe side
I'm kinda of the same opinion. 10% of the cost of a complete fuel system swap. Wonder if FOMOCO would honor future warranty issue if he/store changed the HPFP?

I've actually thot of this same thing for myself. Get rid of the first run pump and any possible ill effects. Any idea if the pumps are of a different composition and not so susceptible to H2O?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by marchare011
I'm kinda of the same opinion. 10% of the cost of a complete fuel system swap. Wonder if FOMOCO would honor future warranty issue if he/store changed the HPFP?

I've actually thot of this same thing for myself. Get rid of the first run pump and any possible ill effects. Any idea if the pumps are of a different composition and not so susceptible to H2O?
Yeah I've thought of the same thing except with my luck I'd get a faulty replacement and Ford would blame it on water. lol

Old 01-19-2013, 11:11 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lanedecamp
I'm in Washington and drive into Oregon frequently. I watch carefully as well, but hadn't heard there's some kind of exemption. What is it, specifically?
I've heard the same thing. I was told that you can pump your own diesel in the truck lanes but not from the diesel pumps at the car islands.

Rob

Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
Originally Posted by rob17
I've heard the same thing. I was told that you can pump your own diesel in the truck lanes but not from the diesel pumps at the car islands.

Rob
So truck stops only? Can't use this at the local Shell?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So truck stops only? Can't use this at the local Shell?
Apparently not unless the local stations has truck lanes.

Rob

Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 AM
His/Hers 6.0s
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oregon Diesel Exemption

I'm in Washington and drive into Oregon frequently. I watch carefully as well, but hadn't heard there's some kind of exemption. What is it, specifically?
We too live in Washington state and frequently fuel up in Oregon. You can in fact pump your own diesel in Oregon. I do it all the time. The 6.7L is so quiet, they frequently look for diesel badges when I tell them "I got it".
I don't let anyone pump my fuel for this reason!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Originally Posted by His/Hers 6.0s
We too live in Washington state and frequently fuel up in Oregon. You can in fact pump your own diesel in Oregon. I do it all the time. The 6.7L is so quiet, they frequently look for diesel badges when I tell them "I got it".
I don't let anyone pump my fuel for this reason!
Don't blame you! It has to SUCK when someone not paying attention causes you a couple of weeks of no truck AND possible $'s!!!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I had no idea that there were states where you can't pump your own gas by law. From what I gather here its Jersey and Oregon? Forgive the naiveté but, Why is that?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
lanedecamp
Junior User
It may be too late now, but the station should definitely have been on the hook for whatever was needed to restore the truck completely. Either a completely disassembly and inspection of the whole fuel system, or a simple replacement. He probably took the check and either implicitly or explicitly signed a release, so he has no further claim on the station. In a case like this, an attorney helps, starting with a letter that all ongoing expenses need to be paid promptly but no release or waiver is granted until the truck owner has had all issues addressed. Then get a couple experts who will testify (writing is fine) that the few problems he did have driving home meant that gas had gotten too far into his system and that damage did occur with that. There will be liability insurance which can easily cover the cost of a full system replacement, even a full truck replacement. Given the culpability of the station, he should have held out and demanded not just that it be running again and meeting spec, but that the "legendary durability" of a Ford diesel plant not be compromised in any way. It would be an easy suit and frankly the station or the chain would probably just pay because the cost would be less for them than engaging an attorney.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by bridge
I had no idea that there were states where you can't pump your own gas by law. From what I gather here its Jersey and Oregon? Forgive the naiveté but, Why is that?
Oregon = originally unemployment...make claimers earn their unemployment checks.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I agree with everyone that he is taking a risk here..... I sure wouldn't have let it go as it was. I would have wanted an assurance that if the HPFP was damaged that it and all other components would be replaced without cost to me. Legal action might have been needed. Worst case is that now Ford has a reason to NOT honnor any waranty claim for the fuel system.... He does have a good relationship with the local Diesel Tech at the dealer, he did test pressures throughout the system and they were at spec.
Oregon does allow diesel owners to pump diesel at any diesel pump. Not just the truck stations. I never let them fuel my Excursion and will continue to not let them fuel my F250.

I will let everyone know how this goes with my friend. He retires in a couple of months and will be hareder to keep in touch with once he is on perpetual vacation with his F250 and new Artic Fox slide in camper.... Lucky Dog....
Pat

Old 12-01-2016, 09:11 AM
bigdo1
New User
So whatever happened to the truck, long term? Any significant damage or need to replace anything?

Quick Reply: Gas in a 6.7 Diesel, driven for over 200 miles.....