Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F150 XTS dead AGAIN.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
ruskeigunlover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 XTS dead AGAIN.......

This is 1 month after taking it to 2 different dealerships. The 2nd told me NOT to jump it if it happened again, because supposedly whatever drained the bat will stay in the dead computer. They said jumping it erases the code. SOMETHING is killing my truck. I drove it saturday, it started snowing yesturday and I only unlocked it and relocked it. Now, its dead.

This is the 6th time this has happened. Going to have them tow it tommorow, DEAD, back to the 2nd dealership. Damn, I want my BRAND NEW TRUCK NOT TO DIE RANDOMNLY AND FOR NO REASON.

Is that too much to ask?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM
ruskeigunlover
New User
Oh, it was sold to ME only, carfax shows no prior owners. Manufactured in march of 12, shipped to the dealer I bought it from. Someone drove it for close to 3000 miles before I bought it, and I was told a sales manager had. Now, this issue. Not happy.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Sucks you got a trouble maker. Don't feel too bad though; my brother in law's brandy new Ram 1500 has left them stranded and waiting for a tow more than once. The most recent time they had to take our truck home (200 miles) and when they came back for theirs when the dealership was done with it it did it again before they left.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
ruskeigunlover
New User
Got it back today....

I called roadside ***. this morning, and they had it at the shop by 10 am.

Arrived at the shop stone cold dead. They told me they ran a test on the bat without jumping it, and it was 100% dead. They then pushed the truck into the shop, let the bat warm, and after a couple hours it showed a very weak charge. So, they said it likely is a bad battery. Tried to tell me how occassionally they'll get a bat that in extreme temps will cause the plates in it to contract or expand, and this can cause the symptoms I am experiencing. I am unsure about that. Really felt like they were reaching.

THEN they explain that I need to look in my owners manual, and that Ford says if you 'LONG TERM' store your vehicle, you sometimes have to unplug a fuse under the hood to keep it from going dead. Then they told me that if it sat for 2-3 days, it might be that. I was, to say the least, incredulous at this and expressed that. I asked them if they were really telling me my truck could not set for 3 days without dieing? They then backed off and told me it might be longer. I REALLY am pissed about being told that, as I feel it s away for them to get out of fixing it. Almost like if they can get me to believe that, the problem will still be there but I won't know it. I'll just own a vehicle that I must unplugg a fuse every time I kill it.

I really think I am DONE with ford after this. I am going to give it a couple months, see if it happens again. If it does, I am taking it back to the same shop for the 3rd time, and threatening them with a lawsuit unless they FIX the damned thing AND give me a loaner (told me I'd have to pay for it if they kept my truck for over a day). Kansas lemon law says 4 times to the same shop within the 1st year of ownership, and 20-30 days in the shop. I believe I will get to that.

REALLY pissed off. I am a huge Ford guy. HUGE. Love the mustang, and have always loved Ford trucks, But I will make it my summer ambition to tell as many people as possible about this if they cannot fix it. I may even picket the dealership I bought it at.

ARH. I feel like they are screwing me around....

Need to cool down.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
ruskeigunlover
New User
NOTHING in the manual about long term storage. Just looked. That was a load of BS. Nothing at all about unplugging a fuse if the truck is going to set for long periods. And even if there was, 2-3 days is not a 'long period'.....

Enraged about this.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
While I understand your frustration, I feel like I should let you in on a little something.

Most technicians, even the ones at the dealerships have little to no clue about what's going on with newer vehicles. Technology and features are evolving so quickly in all automotive fields that a lot of the time manufacturers are puting stuff in consumer's hands without having a completely or competently trained support network.

Unrealted to your situation but pertinant to my point; I work for a transportation outfit that runs about 30 2007 and later EPA Cummins powered OTR trucks. MANY times we will have CEL's and hook the computer up only for it to tell us the code is "unknown". There will be some technical data to point you in a certain direction but not a whole lot of hard facts or figures to check out.

The point is basically that unless you want to always own a ten year old truck or older, you might run into some pretty funky stuff.

I know right; 17,000 miles on mine with no issues. Easy for me to say.

Edit: You said they load tested the battery and it had little to no charge. That DOES happen. Not often but it certainly does. Ask your service dept' if what parasitic draws they found that could be draining the battery and causing your issue. If they say they didn't check and assumed it was simply a bad battery from the get go find a different shop...

Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Fat Ford Boy
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Arrow

ruskeigunlover, what part of Kansas do you live in ? I too live in Kansas, am presently looking for a truck, and would prefer NOT to deal with your dealership. I don't need/want the hassle.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the troubles you are having with this truck. have you tried taking it to a different dealer? It doesn't sound like this dealer is doing what they should to fix the problem. I can understand your frustration...I would be the same way and would demand that the problem is fixed.

There must be something grounding on the vehicle to drain the battery that dead. I have hp had cars set for weeks at a time and start right up without issue. Where I do understand there are batteries with bad cells in them, it does not sound like your issue.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
ARK Ranger
Senior User
My kid had a 2003 Ranger that had problems similar to this. His would have dead battery or the E windows would not work. Ford and many others looked at it and could not find the problem. WE keep it for 160,000 miles and lucked out and found the problem. There seemed to be a loose wire on the electric window motor on the passenger side. It would only make contact sometimes so it could not be located. We replaced the motor and eveything was fine. Do not stop Ford for a bad dealer or weird problem. It happens to all brands.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had a 89' Bronco,,battery would go dead in a day or 2,,,could not find the problem,,,finaly took a 12 v test light, with the ignition key off,,disconnected the neg battery terminal,,hooked alligator clip to battery terminal(wire end), test light point to neg Battery post(w/vise grips) test light was on,(something was drawing current),,now started pulling fuse's one at a time and replacing them if light stayed on,,,went through all the fuses,,,nothing,,then went to the relays,,,it ended up being the fuel pump relay not dissconecting when the key was off,,,Fuel pump was not running though,,weird found a suitable relay to fit,,problem solved,,and did it our self.

There are so many electrical things now on vehicles,,,its a wonder there are'nt more issues like yours,,,amazing they run at all,,,and Ford is not alone with some troubles out there,,,You can Bank on that !!,,,Good Luck !