Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Couple of novice queries...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM
4x4falcon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Jerry
On the picture, mine has a minor leak (drip) from the yoke connecting to the driveshaft...to replace the seal is it just a case of unbolting the connection to the driveshaft, unbolting those 5 bolts near the yoke and is it hiding around there somewhere? Trying to work out whether I need special puller tools or anything to get in there?
Don't know. Never had to do one. I bought the center in mine brand new with Detroit Tru Trak. The LSD that was in it was shot and I was quoted $1500 for a rebuild with 3 month guarantee. The Tru Trak was $1650 with 2 year guarantee and is ten times better than the LSD ever was.

For brake and fuel lines I just planned on replacing them all with new stainless lines (although the brakes are already stainless I think) and some braided brake lines to connect to the discs / drums.
Basically what I did. Hardest part of this is getting the flares on the stainless brake hard lines.

How much was it to have the chasis sandblasted? I planned on stripping it all myself.
I stripped mine. CT14 degreaser, then paint stripper, then flap wheel (40 grit) for the flatter areas, then wire brush for the rest. Use a pressure washer to clean of the paint stripper and degreaser.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 AM
Little Jerry
New User
Apologies for all the questions mate....where are you sourcing all your parts from - locally or overseas?

I've been looking at LMC, Bronco graveyard in the USA.

KBS coatings have a new paint stripper that sprays on for chasis and looked pretty potent ...ordered a litre with some other stuff so will see how it goes.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM
4x4falcon
Senior User
Apologies for all the questions mate....where are you sourcing all your parts from - locally or overseas?

I've been looking at LMC, Bronco graveyard in the USA.
I've ordered from LMC - radiator support brackets, body mount retainers.

ebay Australia for some - suspension bushes, body mount bushes, window anti-rattle.

4wd1.com.au - rancho shocks

hydratech - hydraboost brake booster and mc

enzed - stainless fuel and brake hardlines

brakemart - stainless braided brake hoses

flow fittings direct - aeroflow fuel fittings and stainless hoses (cheaper than enzed)

Biggest mistake was ordering the lift kit through a company in Australia, took 12 weeks to get here. If I'd ordered it from Tuff Country direct would have been two weeks and within $50 of the same price including delivery. Trying to do the right thing by the Australian companies that support F trucks.

Only issue I have with ordering from the states is some of the outrageous shipping quotes. $50 for the part and $142 for freight. Part was about 50mm x 50mm x 100mm but sent in a box that's 200mm x 200mm x 200mm with Fedex. The gearshifter in the gearbox, so really did not need a massive amount of packing. Quote from Austpost for the same to the states $16 express trackable in a padded post bag.

Mind you the best deal was the hydraboost, about 5kgs $145 from the states box was equivalent to four of the boxes the gear shifter came in.

KBS coatings have a new paint stripper that sprays on for chasis and looked pretty potent ...ordered a litre with some other stuff so will see how it goes.
I used Diggers paint stripper from bunnings about $12 / litre. Brushed it on using cheap fibreglassing brushes ($2 at Home Hardware Marine). Also rubbed it in well with these as they don't fall apart. Then pressure washed it off.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Little Jerry
New User

Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
4x4falcon
Senior User
Hey mate

Do you remember what product you bought from ENZED for the stainless brake and fuel lines?

I looked up their catalogue but cannot see any stainless (edit that: they have stainless but have a rubber covering)? Also, I'm guessing you had to bend them yourself? Was that a pain in the ****?
Fuel line is 3/8" stainless tube.

Brake line is 3/16" stainless tube.

I just went to the Enzed here and asked for it. They had both in stock.

Get 3/8" and 3/16" pipe benders. These are the ones I got

Ridgid Benders

Can't remember where I bought them, had them for ages.

The 3/16" is very easy to bend, the 3/8" can be tough, hardest part is making the bends line up if your running straight.

It's harder to get the correct flare on the ends of the brake lines.

I have one similar to this

Flaring Tool

You won't be able to do it with the simple flaring tools you see in SCA etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Little Jerry
New User
I think I might just buy pre bent lines that suit my truck

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Little Jerry
New User
Went to buy diff oil and they asked if it was LSD or not...to which I shrugged my shoulders.

Is there much difference between diff oil for LSD vs non LSD? I was thinking I could just put in the LSD oil (if its higher grade) and if I don't have LSD they no drama's as I'm just paying extra for something I don't really need?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
4x4falcon
Senior User
With the vehicle in neutral on a level surface.

Jack up one rear wheel clear of the ground.

Try to turn the wheel by hand if you can turn it then it's not LSD.

Alternatively jack both wheels up and turn one. If they turn the same way it's LSD.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Also, you can check the code on the tag attached to the diff - the diff-code.

The code will tell you the manufacture year & month, ratio, and whether it is LSD - the LSD code has an 'L' in it.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Little Jerry
New User
No tags on this diff...but appreciate the input

hey Ross, did you get prices from Tuff Country for their lift kits (website didn't specify the price)? Their base kit looks pretty good, and since I have the truck to just a chasis I might as well have a crack at installing a basic lift kit.

I can probably google this, but do you have to modify your steering system to accomodate a 4 inch lift?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 AM
4x4falcon
Senior User
hey Ross, did you get prices from Tuff Country for their lift kits (website didn't specify the price)? Their base kit looks pretty good, and since I have the truck to just a chasis I might as well have a crack at installing a basic lift kit.
No. Found several places that sold the kit I installed 2.5" Performance Lift Kit.

Tuff Country Dealers

I can probably google this, but do you have to modify your steering system to accomodate a 4 inch lift?
Probably the pitman arm.

The install instructions are on the tuff country website.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4falcon
Only issue I have with ordering from the states is some of the outrageous shipping quotes. $50 for the part and $142 for freight. Part was about 50mm x 50mm x 100mm but sent in a box that's 200mm x 200mm x 200mm with Fedex. The gearshifter in the gearbox, so really did not need a massive amount of packing. Quote from Austpost for the same to the states $16 express trackable in a padded post bag.
Try these 2 services:

VIAddress : The Global Leader in Package Forwarding
(creates a US address, where all packages get sent to - they repackage everything together to reduce shipping costs, works really good with places that ship free to the US)

Ipsparcel
Pre-book UPS/Fed Ex stickers, about 30% (you pay, they e-mail you a shipping sticker, which you can send to the shipper) - not useful for big places that do all the shipping, but handy if you are buying from a smaller seller that doesn't mind you sorting out all the shipping.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 AM
Little Jerry
New User
Working on the truck tonight and I noticed my front wheels are at a weird angle like only half the tyre is in full contract with the ground. I attached a couple of pics so you can see what I mean - the 2nd one under the mud guard really shows it.

What would cause this?

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...psf752fb0d.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...ps127c520e.jpg

Also, I attached a side picture of the truck...does it look like standard front ride height and maybe 2inches up at back?

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...t/IMGP2894.jpg

Appreciate the help.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 AM
4x4falcon
Senior User
How many leaves in the rear springs.

F100 F150 - 7 leaves
F350 - 9 leaves

It's quite common to see F350 leaf springs on F100's. The F350 springs are 2in higher. Cheap lift if they've already been done.

Mine had the F350 springs in it when I bought it.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 AM
4x4falcon
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigF350
Ipsparcel
Pre-book UPS/Fed Ex stickers, about 30% (you pay, they e-mail you a shipping sticker, which you can send to the shipper) - not useful for big places that do all the shipping, but handy if you are buying from a smaller seller that doesn't mind you sorting out all the shipping.
About the same price on quote as it's either DHL or Fedex Express, 2 - 5 business days. Usually don't need it that quickly.

I'd be happy with UPS priority (6 - 10 business days), $US16.95, for up to 4lbs.

Quick Reply: Couple of novice queries...