1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

q REALLY confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok ... things are still under deep freeze and 2' of snow here in upstate ny. but i've taken a day here and there to get some things started. i took my 302 and c-4 apart and got the motor over to the machine shop to do all the internals. the motor builder promised me double the h.p. (175x2= 350) on pump gas. yesterday i scraped all th 45 yrs of grime off the c-4. duzzent look too bad. it goes to the tranny shop this wk. and i've purchased a 72 jag. my partner in crime, daryll, took the fr and rear sus off the car and disassembled the various parts. today, the parts of that that can be sand blasted go to that guy today. the jag is sitting w/ no wheels or sus. in my drive way....thats real pretty! get rid of that this week also. so, things are starting to move. more with pix soon

Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
You might consider using the Jaguar's fuel fill option(s). The locking caps look pretty tricked-out. I forget which fellow FTE'er did it, but, the credit's not mine.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
i'll check that out when i get outside this morning. do you mean the whole filler neck or just the door and inner cup?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 AM
ratthell52
Senior User
That GTO is identical to my first "fast" car that I purchased in the spring of '72 when I landed my first and only good job...Had same color but had an Olds 442 engine when I got it.
I only had the GTO for a few years, but had that job for over 30 yrs!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
hey randy
then your GTO is the only other one i've known of that was the same color. it was a factory color called "slate blue metallic". when i was at the GTO nationals in columbus, ohio, in 2000 mine was the only one that color. imagine....600 gto"s and mine the only one. i changed the interior color from blue to parchment(off white) just before installation just because i really wanted the paint to POP....it duz. it kinda changes to grey at dusk, really pretty. i still have it. only 3,000 miles since then. now, if i only cud get this 54 effie done i'd be a happier camper!
q in 'cuse

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
ratthell52
Senior User
Qman
I tracked down my old car 5 or 6 yrs ago; Parked under a huge White Pine tree for 10 years without a cover...Was not pretty!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
qmanconfused
Senior User
one good thing, the pine sap made the car water proof! wadda u mean"thats not funny!" its only funny if its not your car.....you must have been sick to see it in that condition. i guess these car stories can't be all happy endings. too bad;(..sorry randy.
qman

Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by qmanconfused
i'll check that out when i get outside this morning. do you mean the whole filler neck or just the door and inner cup?
I think he used the filler neck and maybe cut to fit. The hinged locking chrome caps are kinda cool. Yeah, not Ford stock. But I liked the look. Hints as to his front end.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Here it is: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217752
User "jrockdiddy" Look at the picture in the 7th post.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
hey horvaths...
i went out and took a good look at that fuel door thingy on the jag. that could really work nicely. i'll get it off the jag before the junker comes back to get it

thanks for the heads up!

q in 'cuse

Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM
qmanconfused
Senior User
moving along

...at a knee jerk pace. my friend/mechanical partner, daryll and i are doing what we can and when we can to get this thing moving. my sand blaster took 2 months to do less than 2 wks work and really killed my momentum. so, I can't use him any longer as an excuse so here she goes.

I got a 72 jag and harvested the irs and ifs. again, it went to a blaster and I got it back in 2 wks. then off to the paint shop for color and clear coat....its medium gray. then we made a material list and sent off to rock auto for 95% of the sus. and steering and brake parts. some how, I don't know how but my 4 rear coil springs went missing!!! nobody knows nuttin'...bottom line is I had to order 4 new ones on the net. nothing another $150 won't cure...ordered and on the way. the rest of the irs and ifs parts are dribbling in and I think everything is here now except the springs. I've had jags in the past and I know it will be worth the effort and $$$.

I've painted the frame semi gloss black and taken off the factory front and rear parts that i'm replacing. daryll wanted to put the ifs and irs all together before fitting it to the frame. I discussed w/ him that AX advised me to fit it first but he wanted to do it the other way so.... AX wasn't available and we've started to do it the other way. i'm sure it will all work out in the end.

a little later tonite i'll get some pix on and show you guys what happening. i'm starting to get excited about it again but it takes a while at 67.....between my naps that is...zzzzzzz

Quentin in Syracuse

don't hold back on the comments...its all good!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wind on her Q-Man. After what you have been through I am suprized ya want to do anything. At 60 years I can't even keep up with the house work after my two boys. Had to hire help just to put plugs in the bronc the other day. What a difference that made.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TOTALLY awesome, Your handicraft shines. I aspire to achieve your level of accomplishment.

Here it is...Saturday morning and I'm trying to make a set of headers fit? Small bock headers...guaranteed to fit....phhhttt!....

I love the GTO.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The fresh paint will be easier to remove with thinner than sanding off old paint when you start welding in the boxing plates and mounting crush tubes. If you used expensive catylized frame paint then you'll have to grind it off, but then you'll better see how many $ worth of dust you sweep off the floor. At least you'll know how much paint you'll need for the repaint and how much he'll charge again for his labor.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM
qmanconfused
Senior User
some pix of the 54

I think they loaded....

the 1st pix is one of the 302 that the p.o. told me was a good motor. I took it to my machinist to "clean up" and he told me it was junk. the crank had wobbled from a bad hook up to a trashed transmission. the p.o. also gave that c-4 to me as a good one. WRONG...good thing I have a 4.6 lincoln motor & trans. that I know is good. even tho it needs a head gasket.

2nd pix is 3 spots on the front frame on each side where I think the p.o. had welded 1/4" plate pieces to mount a snow plow!!! go figure.

third is, oh hell, I don't remember but you see the frame and the jag rear end with the brakes on.

i'll get more organized as I go but the computer thing is harder than the build

more soon
q-man

Attached Images