Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention Painters....Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
gjgarre
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention Painters....Quick Question

First off, I am new to paint, but I plan to take my time and pay attention to the details before I start. I am really considering painting my truck when tax return time comes, but until then I am doing all the research i can. One question I cannot seem to find an answer for is as follows:

My truck is two toned, Dark green/blue, and white, and I am looking to do a single color repaint. Is it going to be necessary to prime the entire truck first, even though the paint is in pretty good shape? I am just wondering if I put a new base coat over the two tone, that the final color may be light in the white spots and darker in other spots. Is that a logical concern?

By the way, I am not sure what color I want to go with, but I am planning on going with a urethane base coat/clear coat.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i would seal it first with a sealer depending on what color your going with so long as your paint is in good shape.

mine was blue/grey. i used a red sealer before putting my burnt orange base coat on.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:26 PM
gjgarre
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
i would seal it first with a sealer depending on what color your going with so long as your paint is in good shape.

mine was blue/grey. i used a red sealer before putting my burnt orange base coat on.
Thank you, that is what I was wondering. Last thing I want after spending all the time and money to repaint it, is to have a light strip of paint all the way around its center.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
you want a solid one colour base, so yes priming would be how.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 PM
gjgarre
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Puddy
you want a solid one colour base, so yes priming would be how.
Great! Thanks for the help.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

yeah everyone has a different way of doing it. but so long as your factory paint is in good shape and no body work is needed a good scuff, sealer and then your base coat/ clear coat you will be good.

i went from this

to this

Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
yea as AlaskanEx said, you will need a sealer to cover the entire truck over your

primer. If you have any dark spots (or light spots) it will bleed through.

Red sealer for your plow truck? the one thats like the same color as mine? funny

mine was white

Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

yeah, the paint shop had me use a red sealer. i kinda wish i had used a white as it may have been just a tad brighter but oh well.

after 5 years of plowing its showing its age. plus somebody tried to break into it the other day so there's crow bar marks on the cab/door needs some body/paint work come summer.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
hmm, but she still looks sexy as hell in that pic! soo sexy everyone wants to steal it.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

apparently, really pissed me off as i've taken alot of care to try and keep it a great looking work truck. **** happens though.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:43 PM
gjgarre
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Nickk97tml
yea as AlaskanEx said, you will need a sealer to cover the entire truck over your

primer. If you have any dark spots (or light spots) it will bleed through.

Red sealer for your plow truck? the one thats like the same color as mine? funny

mine was white
OK, now I'm a little confused. Are you saying to prime the vehicle first, and then seal? Do I need to do both over my factory paint? Like I said, I was new to this, but trying to learn everything I can.

Thanks again to all of the replies.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

i believe he was saying the same as i was. sealing the whole truck gives you a good solid consistent color for your base to go over. so seal the whole thing with a few coats and it will be good. if you have body work to do. fix the areas you need to. prime them, then seal the whole truck before your base.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM
gjgarre
Freshman User
i believe he was saying the same as i was. sealing the whole truck gives you a good solid consistent color for your base to go over. so seal the whole thing with a few coats and it will be good. if you have body work to do. fix the areas you need to. prime them, then seal the whole truck before your base.
OK, that makes sense. Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
yea sorry. If you have any body work done on it, prime it (where the bodywork is) then seal it. otherwise just sand and seal.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM
gjgarre
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Nickk97tml
yea sorry. If you have any body work done on it, prime it (where the bodywork is) then seal it. otherwise just sand and seal.
Man love you truck. I really like the look of the roll pan, but I am undecided since I use mine for pulling trailers, I would hate to back up a bit too far and bump the tongue on it, and kids climbing in and out of the bed all the time, the step bumper is handy.

I actually was showing your truck build to my wife to convince her that mine can be pretty again.

Quick Reply: Attention Painters....Quick Question