6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

RAT ATTACK

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAT ATTACK

So looked under the hood today to find some tiny footprints and a small chewed area of the fires hield that I am pretty sure are from a rat. Any suggestions on how to get it out of the engine compartment. So far I have head that a plastic container drilled with holes and filled with mothballs works. Anyone tried it? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM
GobblinTom
Senior User
Lots of decon or blue death!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
zonedar
Junior User
Heard of folks having success using insecticide cattle ear tags. Not tried it myself.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 PM
GobblinTom
Senior User
I use decon in my garage, find dead mice all the time...

Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zonedar
Heard of folks having success using insecticide cattle ear tags. Not tried it myself.
I read this on here so I tried it...I can confirm it DOES NOT WORK. I went out and bought a $20 bag of ear tags w/ the insecticide, and put them on a couple old trucks. I come back about a week later and the ba$tards chewed on the tags and added the pieces to their nests.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Moth ***** don't work. Had a pound of them under my enclosed tractor hood in pantyhose, they ate it..................I have heard cayenne pepper.

Does Cayenne Pepper Get Rid of Mice? | eHow.com

Spices That Mice Hate | eHow.com

How to Get Rid of Mouse Naturally with Cayenne Pepper - NATURAL MOUSE REPELLENT - NATURAL MOUSE REPELLENT

Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lye soap! Theyre after the fat in the soap, and the lye kills them!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
A trap. I have to put a mouse trap inside my truck every winter. It sits a lot on the carport in the winter and the little buggers find their way in. They get into the glove box and chew up the napkins I keep in there so I leave it open and a trap on the front floor mat.. A rat trap under the engine compartment should do the trick for ya..

Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
A trap. I have to put a mouse trap inside my truck every winter. It sits a lot on the carport in the winter and the little buggers find their way in. They get into the glove box and chew up the napkins I keep in there so I leave it open and a trap on the front floor mat.. A rat trap under the engine compartment should do the trick for ya..
Question: Don't you have to bait the mouse trap to make it effective, and if so, won't the bait attract mice that might not have otherwise gotten into your truck? Just wonderin'.

I have a big fifth-wheel camper that i keep in the barn during winter. I use bags of spearmint since it makes a great repellent (mice hate the smell of spearmint). That way, they hopefully never come inside in the first place!

Carl

Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM
GobblinTom
Senior User
Peanut butter on the mouse traps....

Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by los341
Question: Don't you have to bait the mouse trap to make it effective, and if so, won't the bait attract mice that might not have otherwise gotten into your truck? Just wonderin'.

Carl
I didn't start putting the trap in till I found I already had a mouse in the truck. I'd rather know that if one gets in, he's not going to do any damage before he gets zapped... I guess what I really need to do is pressurize the inside of the cab and find the hole thats letting them in..

Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GobblinTom
Peanut butter on the mouse traps....
I use peanut butter and bread mixed to a thick paste. Gets hard pretty quick and they have to gnaw on it..

Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Worlds greatest mouse trap (up size for rats)

5 gal bucket, remove handle, strait metal rod through holes where handle was. Place empty can on rod so it spins on rod, peanut butter surrounding can (keep can in balance), ramp so mice can get on bucket, bucket 3/4 full water (antifreeze). Mouse climbs ramp, goes on rod to can for bait. Can spins, mouse falls in water and cant get out. Mouse drowns. Empty dead mice daily, there may be a lot. Use outside truck..........

Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 PM
GobblinTom
Senior User
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
Worlds greatest mouse trap (up size for rats)

5 gal bucket, remove handle, strait metal rod through holes where handle was. Place empty can on rod so it spins on rod, peanut butter surrounding can (keep can in balance), ramp so mice can get on bucket, bucket 3/4 full water (antifreeze). Mouse climbs ramp, goes on rod to can for bait. Can spins, mouse falls in water and cant get out. Mouse drowns. Empty dead mice daily, there may be a lot. Use outside truck..........
This sounds like a plan that will work... maybe a 5 gallon bucket with about 1 gallon of antifreeze? That is an expensive mouse trap using that much antifreeze...

Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 PM
hschiro
Senior User
thank you everyone for the replies. I got some traps and am going to try one with peanut butter and another with a slim jim. Will see what I get

Quick Reply: RAT ATTACK