Sponsored by: Moser

Drive By Wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Drive By Wire

Ok so I did some looking into the drive by wire system and came across this explanation of it.

Drive by wire, or more correctly throttle by wire, is an ECU controlled opening of the throttle butterfly based on potentiometer inputs. There is a potentiometer that sends accelerator pedal position to the ECU. Based on that information the ECU then opens the butterfly of the throttle. A potentiometer at the throttle body then sends flap position back to the ECU. The 2 potentiometer inputs into the ECU are compared by the ECU. Basically, the gas pedal sends a signal to the ECU saying, "I'm pressed this far down." The ECU then opens the throttle "this far" in response. The throttle then says back to the ECU, "I'm opened this far."

If this is correct is there a way to tweak the response to help eliminate any lag?? (Especially on the ecoboost)

Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Ok so I did some looking into the drive by wire system and came across this explanation of it.

Drive by wire, or more correctly throttle by wire, is an ECU controlled opening of the throttle butterfly based on potentiometer inputs. There is a potentiometer that sends accelerator pedal position to the ECU. Based on that information the ECU then opens the butterfly of the throttle. A potentiometer at the throttle body then sends flap position back to the ECU. The 2 potentiometer inputs into the ECU are compared by the ECU. Basically, the gas pedal sends a signal to the ECU saying, "I'm pressed this far down." The ECU then opens the throttle "this far" in response. The throttle then says back to the ECU, "I'm opened this far."

If this is correct is there a way to tweak the response to help eliminate any lag?? (Especially on the ecoboost)
Tuner from mike @ 5star

Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dont think there is really any way to tweak it other then a tuner. really you pushing on the gas pedal sends a signal to the computer and then it decides to open it that far or not. another key part of the traction control is that it cuts off throttle sometimes. (sis and her bf found out the hard way in their brand new jeep + mud lol)

Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That traction control needs to be permanently shut off. It's not needed on a 4wd truck and seems to cause more problems than it solves. These electronic nannies are the main reason I'm going to keep my 06 as long as I can.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
That traction control needs to be permanently shut off. It's not needed on a 4wd truck and seems to cause more problems than it solves. These electronic nannies are the main reason I'm going to keep my 06 as long as I can.
A lot of truth there. On the new Freightliner Coronado I drive for work, it has that "feature". I do a fair amount of offroad with it, and have a power divider, plus can lock both drive axles. The "know better than me" ATC has managed to keep me in one spot numerous times. Turn the lousy "feature" off, and I can usually walk right out of a situation.
On the little truck, I leave it active, I haven't had it where it would screw me yet, but that shutoff button is always on my mind.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i doubt you would feel any difference between a tbw and a cable operated system. even with a tuner the computer has to sence where the pedal is first, then send the signal to the tb, as to real world this tbw is out on every brand and model for a long time,it is pretty much rock solid,any delay one dose feel with a turbo'd car or truck is in turbo lag and even that is almost not there by the use of smaller vaned higher pressure turbo's that spin up way faster then in the old days of bigger vaned ones like ford used in 1978 on the turbo mustang

Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford puts a delay in there throttles of there Drive by wire vehicles. The eboost should have almost no turbo lag because it uses 2 small turbos.

I know that i have read that when you get your newer trucks tuned it will eliminate the delay in the pedal from when you stand on it.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
I noticed the delay when I first got my truck, then I think my driving style either adapted, or the computer learned it and mitigated some of the delay. I still feel the delay sometimes, but it does not seem as apparent, at least until I drive my wife's 2000 f-150 or my Mustang. The throttle response on both of them is noticeably quicker.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
I noticed the delay when I first got my truck, then I think my driving style either adapted, or the computer learned it and mitigated some of the delay. I still feel the delay sometimes, but it does not seem as apparent, at least until I drive my wife's 2000 f-150 or my Mustang. The throttle response on both of them is noticeably quicker.
I can understand that...my wife's Infiniti G37 is lightning quick on acceleration and pedal response and I believe it is drive by wire too. She also has the adaptive transmission and of course it is accustomed to her driving (which is pedal happy)

When I test drove the new trucks I did feel somewhat of a delay or lag. Don't the ecoboosts come with a waste gate? Like you guys have said maybe it would just have to adapt to the driver for awhile. I be driving it like a sport car or anything...but of course will have the occasional quick starts...lol

Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 5.0 had bad response time when I got it. Then it learned my aggressive driving and it was a little better. But then I tuned it and its very responsive.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06 didn't lose the throttle lag completely until I tuned with the SCTx3. The transmission shifting also improved with the tuner. Fuel economy is the same either way, tuned or stock.