Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep RPMs down?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Shwan_89HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
Guess I'm the weird hippie guy in the bunch that questions what you need a daily for in the first place. My pickup is my only vehicle, but its not a daily driver, more like twice a week driver to get groceries or if I have anywhere out of town to go. If you don't drive everyday, its not so bad to drive a thirsty pickup once in a while. I think this is an impossible topic for many, drive less. That's it. Driving a gas hog once in a while is cheaper than a buying another car and driving it everyday. Of course some places are too far away, but this kid is going to college,and that's the time in your life you need a bike!
You make a good point, the major driving is gonna be the 250 miles from home to college. Once im at the dorm my truck will pretty much be sitting still and not moving, there is food in the campus.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Shwan_89HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Opossum
I'm gunna buck the trend here in this thread cause well I disagree, but I'd/did sleep in my truck. Drive what ya like, what's the point of anything if your not enjoying it. And I don't see how buying and insuring another vehicle saves money. Sure you save a little on gas but what do you spend insuring, maintaning, parking, etc. 2 vehicles. Toss on top all the advantages of driving the truck even if it costs more. For example one big advantage I think people under appreciate is safety. Chances are pretty good in a town full of drunk college kids your gunna get in a wreck. What is all that steel worth when it keeps ya in one piece?

Anyway, that's not what ya asked is it. Hell everyone is assuming the question is about money, maybe the kids parents are loaded and it's just about noise and RPM limiting overall speed. Sounds like it's about MPGs though. So;

First bigger tires are a no brainer, Conanski is right on point with that one. At todays highway speeds, 3.55 gears a C6 and stock tires just don't work. Don't worry so much about the truck bogging off the line or hauling, Yes it will be slower off the line but the C6 torque converter slips like crazy, it will handle it. Toss in that you want them anyway, it works with your future plans, and if done/chosen right will increase the value of the truck while increasing MPGs there is no reason not to.

Second, take a real honest assesment of what you really want, can really do (both money and skill), and if THIS is the right truck to invest both your time and money in. I know you love your truck, BUT with what it sounds like you want you'd likely be MUCH better off starting with one that was closer to what you ultimately want. This is the one place where I would agree in part with the others, if you decide this isn't the truck to invest in. Sell it, buy something cheap that saves $$$ while you work up to/shop for the right truck to begin with.

I'd suggest taking a look at what's out there in the form of a 4WD F350 with a 5 speed or E4OD and a deisel. You just might like that better and save a ton of money in the long run.
I get what your saying. And as for is this the right truck to invest in, i think it is personally ive build a bond with it like bros and cant see myself letting it go its almost an identity. I know im not gonna be getting good mpg with a 6 inch lift and 35s and maybe later 37s, but i just wanna maximize to its full potential in fuel

Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
garrett_8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my ride for most of college was a black luminaZ34 with wheels and exhaust and got mid 20's on the highway and was actually a fun car to drive for what it was

Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Shwan_89HD
I know im not gonna be getting good mpg with a 6 inch lift and 35s and maybe later 37s, but i just wanna maximize to its full potential in fuel
that's like saying,i know im not going to make a million dollars in my lifetime,i just want to spend 2 million before i retire.
you'll learn what we're all telling you one way or the other.trial and error and hard times ahead.brace yourself.
we can promise you,one day with a little more experience and wisdom,you'll understand and see how off your current thought process is from reality.