off-roading trails

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 03:00 PM
MichaelJ12681
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off-roading trails

Hey guys,

I just got my Bronco up here a few months ago and am looking for places to get it dirty and have some fun. I know there have to be quite a few places to do this, I just haven't had much time to look. I was wondering if you guys could let me in on the spots you like to go to. I'm not looking for hard-core trails (I don't have the money for too many repairs), just some places to play in the mud, climb some hills and rocks, and let the Bronco play. Oh, and I live in C Springs. Thanks.

Mike Jones
1983 Ford Bronco

Old 05-09-2003, 03:06 PM
MichaelJ12681
New User
off-roading trails

Me again,

I'm also looking to put a full cage into the Bronco and was wondering if any of you guys new of a good place (workmanship and price wise) to get this done. C-Fab's been recommended a few times but I figure you guys might have some good input. Thanks again!

Mike Jones
1983 Ford Bronco

Old 05-11-2003, 09:09 PM
theologian
Postmaster
off-roading trails

Go into the mountains behind the Springs, and you will find hundreds of miles of forestry roads, that may, or may not be open. Because of the massive fires in that area recently, the Forest Service is contemplating making private, all of its property.

Failing that area, go north, to Ft Collins, and take the road west to Estes Park, take any of the dirt roads as soon as you gain altitude, and get into a popular off road area, with no particularly difficult sections.

When that becomes boring, as it will quite quickly, go west, to Ouray, CO, and surroundiing area. Find the road over Engineer's Pass, to Lake City, and go have some fun. Avoid in that region the road know as Black Bear - that road kills people regularly. If you search online for the Rocky Mountain Off Road Atlas it gives 30 or 35 very good and easy Colorado roads of interest. Before becoming stuck in the mid south, I resided in Southern Colorado, had a lifted and very much modified '79 Bronco that became a familiar sight on the off road trails of Colorado and Utah.

If you have the time, and are adventurous, go explore the area around Moab, UT - take the I70 west until you get to Utah, then take the third exit south. There are two large recreation areas there, over a 34 mile length of road, as well as a 4x4 friendly National park.

When going off road in the mountains, take two vehicles, you have a very good chance of needing the support.

Theo

Old 05-13-2003, 09:59 AM
MichaelJ12681
New User
off-roading trails

What's the best way to get into the mountains behind the springs? hwy 24? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2003, 10:12 AM
theologian
Postmaster
off-roading trails

Hwy 24 is good, and there is another way, on a dirt road that goes through a tunnel, that I found once, and never found it again. On that road is a shooting range, so find that, and you find a way in. Just go west from the shooting range, and keep going all day.

On the hwy, look for either forest access, or 4x4 trails - they are usually marked with a brown sign pointing the way.

Theo

Old 05-13-2003, 10:30 AM
MichaelJ12681
New User
off-roading trails

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:29 PM
broncr
Elder User
off-roading trails

There are a couple of ways to get into to the mountains West of the Springs. I grew up there and we used to go up Rampart Range road a lot. As it's been ten years , I would probably have a better chance of getting there than telling YOU how to. Back then , the RR road cut out of the back side of the Garden of the Gods -from just north of the "Ballanced Rock". A few miles up there is a shooting range, but I don't recall a tunnel - that's probably the old Gold Camp road. (Next...) Anyway, Rampart goes all the way to Denver, with a loop that can take you back down to Woodland Park. Further up, around Devils head, there are some decent 4x4 roads. Again, I could find it but couldn't give GOOD directions. There's a notorious cut - Dakken rd, that used to drop down to Hwy. 105 - West of Larkspur - approach that one with caution if it's still open. That reminds me - the Mount Herman Rd. also intersects Rampart - West of Monument ( South of Devils head). Jackson Creek road goes West from 105 to Rampart about five miles West of Castle Rock and a little South on 105. You could spend several weekends in the Rampart Range and not see it all. Be careful, people get lost in there every year ( mostly inexperienced, ill equiped hikers).

The old Gold Camp Road used to go from Colo. City (between C.Springs & Manitou) to Victor & then Cripple Creek. I believe it has been closed for a number of years since some of the old tunnels collapsed (there were originally seven tunnels - I believe). The bottom is still open (to the best of my knowledge) and there used to be two ways to get there. One was up 26th(? - not sure of the number) street - south of SH 24 . The other way was to take Cheyenne Road (or Blvd- & I know there are both) to the "end" - in the region of the Broadmoor - just North of Cheyenne Mountain. The road used to loop around & join with the 26th street entrance - with the Gold Camp Road taking off from it & heading up behind Cheyenne Mountain - it REALLY WAS the old road to the gold camps - used by the miners to transport goods in and GOLD out! It was a shame when the tunnel/tunnels collapsed and they decided not to reopen them - hikers only - I guess.You could probably still come DOWN from Victor - quite a "ways" before the uppermost collapsed tunnel - this along the south side of Pikes Peak/ Mt Baldy.

Another favorite for us from the Springs was the Westcliff area - SW of Canyon city. I believe there are still some open passes over the Sange De Cristos there, and its only about a 2 hour drive - if that. West on SH 50 out of Pueblo or short cut down SH-115 to 50 West - Past the Royal Gorge - South around Texas Creek to Hillside/ Westcliff & West into the mountains - get a good trail atlas. Go have fun!

Last edited by broncr; 05-15-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:29 AM
MichaelJ12681
New User
off-roading trails

Thanks! I guess I've got quite a bit to check out.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:51 PM
danlfx4
Freshman User
Cool off-roading trails

I just picked up the Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer and a couple FS maps and started picking roads at random. It's a good idea to check the 4x4trails.net trails section to get a description (if available) before going so you don't run into a rock garden by accident.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Frankenstang57
Senior User
off-roading trails

MichealJ12681, try this site out. http://www.4x4trails.net/ It has a pretty good list of local trails and maps. I've done Red Cone pass in Summit county and it was pretty spectacular! It say's it's a 7, but I did it in a stock 2000 Ranger without getting stuck. There are also some trails just north of Boulder that are pretty popular, but I haven't been up there in quite a while. US36 though town to Left Hand Canyon rd. Go west. The trails are a couple of miles up on your right, you can't miss them. Have fun!