6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New 6.4 owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 AM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I beleive it to be the sound of the injectors resonating throughout. I have it as well. Always have.
Maybe. If it was something wrong with the motor I figured I would hear it worse at an idle.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TEMiller
These things are quiet for sure, sounds like a gasser almost. Sometimes miss the sound of the old 7.3 until I get in one an ddrive it for a while. Now I have been checking the message center if Im ready to stop driving to see if it is cleaning but usually can tell at a stop light by the lopey idle. It started cleaning a yesterday a couple blocks before home and when I parked the truck it smelled like it was on fire, and man are the tail pipes hot when that it happening.
I got my guages but they messed up my pipe and sent me aluminized. Now they messed up the shipping on the stainless one.
Mine gets like that at an idle when it's cleaning, if you can't finish a clean, before you shut it off idle it up to 1200 RPM for a couple of minutes to cool down before you shut it down, will also help on burning the excess fuel up since you aborted a clean. Mines in my garage now, about halfway done with the exhaust, should be like a new truck by tomorrow.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Mine gets like that at an idle when it's cleaning, if you can't finish a clean, before you shut it off idle it up to 1200 RPM for a couple of minutes to cool down before you shut it down, will also help on burning the excess fuel up since you aborted a clean. Mines in my garage now, about halfway done with the exhaust, should be like a new truck by tomorrow.
The first time you start the truck after the delete you will just feel the power and the improved breathing. You'll love it.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
The first time you start the truck after the delete you will just feel the power and the improved breathing. You'll love it.
I'm going to wait until tomorrow, my aftermarket pipes are giving me issues, tooo tight, and my exhaust pipe spreader is way tooooo small. Might have to run up to the muffler shop tomorrow to open a pipe a little for me. No big deal after I busted my nuts getting that contraption from under my truck, I wouldn't be surprised if the truck sits a little higher on the passenger side for a while, hell that's got to be worth a .5 MPG.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Fuel consumption

Well I just drove a few hundred miles on highway, I checked fuel mileage by hand and I was pretty disappointed. 90% highway mileage with completely stock truck gave me 15.3 MPG.
I got my tuner and now I can use the spartan forum, those guys are saying even w/ delete the best they see is 17-18.

Any thoughts?

PS: my truck smells like a diesel now

Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just drove a few hundred miles on highway, I checked fuel mileage by hand and I was pretty disappointed. 90% highway mileage with completely stock truck gave me 15.3 MPG.
I got my tuner and now I can use the spartan forum, those guys are saying even w/ delete the best they see is 17-18.

Any thoughts?

PS: my truck smells like a diesel now
~20% mileage increase and you're disappointed?

Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,419 Likes on 1,014 Posts
I can achieve the same mpg's with my dpf on and the banks 6 gun...16-17mpgs

Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RM2738
~20% mileage increase and you're disappointed?
?? I am disappointed with the stock fuel mileage, was hoping for more like 17 as a starting number. I have not seen an increase, 15.3 mpg is my base starting number. This was driving very conservatively, mostly highway. My 7.3 easily gets 17 on the highway, I have seen them do 20. I know this is a bigger truck but I think a gasser would do better than 15.3. (Empty)
I am not sure if it would be better in summer because of fuel blend but I will try to do some more calculations in the near future.
Right now I have it on the low setting and man does it launch out of the hole. Also the everything about the shifting is improved. The only thing I didn't like is that the converter doesn't lock in 4th, now it locks in OD.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
?? I am disappointed with the stock fuel mileage. I have not seen an increase, 15.3 mpg is my base starting number. This was driving very conservatively, mostly highway. My 7.3 easily gets 17 on the highway, I have seen them do 20. I know this is a bigger truck but I think a gasser would do better than 15.3. (Empty)
I am not sure if it would be better in summer because of fuel blend but I will try to do some more calculations in the near future.
Right now I have it on the low setting and man does it launch out of the hole. Also the everything about the shifting is improved. The only thing I didn't like is that the converter doesn't lock in 4th, now it locks in OD.
Check with the guys over in the Spartan Forum, if I recall correctly, people are getting the best mileage with the hotter tunes. I know I get the best with my Mini Maxx on the Hott Damn 300.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RM2738
Check with the guys over in the Spartan Forum, if I recall correctly, people are getting the best mileage with the hotter tunes. I know I get the best with my Mini Maxx on the Hott Damn 300.
If I remember correctly the HS tuner gives you ability to change shift strategies. ? Do you know if you can adjust torque converter lock up?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 AM
fordtruggy
Senior User
Im not familiar with spartan but the Minimax has 3 different shift points to choose from and you can lock the converter up in 4th and 5th or just 5th. Your choice.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Tony Marion
New User
6.4 problem i had

just a heads took my 2010 f350 6.4 in 2 months ago to the dealer. Starter hung and went out, also they said i was not getting fuel , split the truck apart,noticed i had a oil leak on top of the motor,startig to disassemble ,pulled the heads and 4 cylinders were shot there were metal in the injectors(sounds like pump failed internal) time to chang the engine and exhaust(53500miles on the truck) I have the powertrain and extended warranty from Ford, they said it looks like some water got past both filters but who knows,finally picking it up tomorrow

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Warranty coverage

Originally Posted by Tony Marion
just a heads took my 2010 f350 6.4 in 2 months ago to the dealer. Starter hung and went out, also they said i was not getting fuel , split the truck apart,noticed i had a oil leak on top of the motor,startig to disassemble ,pulled the heads and 4 cylinders were shot there were metal in the injectors(sounds like pump failed internal) time to chang the engine and exhaust(53500miles on the truck) I have the powertrain and extended warranty from Ford, they said it looks like some water got past both filters but who knows,finally picking it up tomorrow
I didnt think they covered water in fuel. Ho woften di dyou change your fuel filters an dwhat brand?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Interesting... This would be a first I know of.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
I didnt think they covered water in fuel. Ho woften di dyou change your fuel filters an dwhat brand?

Quick Reply: New 6.4 owner with some questions