6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New 6.4 owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
There have been a few on here with broken rocker arms but I wouldn't call it an epidemic. In fact I don't remember any for a long time now. And, it seems that the ones I remember were pretty high mileage trucks.
And I bet they weren't deleted either!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to get the fuel filters changed and clean out the f/w drain. I changed the oil even though it looked ok just so i knew what i had. The drain area had the white stuff, was deffinitely due for a cleaning. Thanks for all the tips..
Now for my next issue, the exhaust filter. For the last 2-3 days it seems like every time i get in the truck it gives me the " exhaust cleaning " message and a puff of smoke. I have driven about 100 miles since I got the first message. Kinda strange that i drove 400 miles home from the dealer and no message now it does it everyday?

Any thoughts? I think I will start a seperate thread for this...

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TEMiller
I was able to get the fuel filters changed and clean out the f/w drain. I changed the oil even though it looked ok just so i knew what i had. The drain area had the white stuff, was deffinitely due for a cleaning. Thanks for all the tips..
Now for my next issue, the exhaust filter. For the last 2-3 days it seems like every time i get in the truck it gives me the " exhaust cleaning " message and a puff of smoke. I have driven about 100 miles since I got the first message. Kinda strange that i drove 400 miles home from the dealer and no message now it does it everyday?

Any thoughts? I think I will start a seperate thread for this...
Several thoughts: 1. The cleaning message only displays for a nano second and it's easy to miss. I suspect you missed a couple on the 400 mile drive. if you suspect it's cleaning you can push the middle button on the message center, then the top. It will cycle through a list of checks and if it is in fact cleaning will display the cleaning message. 2. If you are driving short trips and not allowing the system to completely clean it will resume the next time you start. The more times it's interuputed the more times it will try to clean. Eventually you will get the "drive to clean message". Sometimes before you get that one you may get a "cleaning exhaust filter" message that stays on. I was never able to figure exactly what triggered that. might have been a glitch in my computer or it may be triggered by several back to back aborted cleanings. 3. Everyone seems to have different experiences with the cleaning cycle. mine was cleaning about every 100 to 120 miles, more in stop and go. That was with the latest flash 11b23 I believe it's called. If you are gonna leave the truck stock you need to make sure you have that flash. There are some safety shut down improvements in there that can save you a lot of problems. Hope this helps, I know getting to know the DPF can take some time. I'm so happy to have gotten rid of mine.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Thanks, deffinitely would be a hard thing to get use to. Not guna get use to it much longer. I keep thinking about fuel in the oil every time I see the message pop up.
My biggest concern is that the truck came with a one month warranty from the dealer I got it from that covers anything. I have about a week or two left. If the dpf was bad maybe i could get a new one and keep the old one for "something else"
If I ever have to sell it I dont want to have to buy a new filter.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, deffinitely would be a hard thing to get use to. Not guna get use to it much longer. I keep thinking about fuel in the oil every time I see the message pop up.
My biggest concern is that the truck came with a one month warranty from the dealer I got it from that covers anything. I have about a week or two left. If the dpf was bad maybe i could get a new one and keep the old one for "something else"
Don't plan on keeping the old one. They'll come up with some reason not to let you have it, Core Charge, Emissions Regulations, something.

StanleyZ hit it in the head. After a whole you can usually sense a difference in the way the truck sounds and drives while in Regen and you'll know when it's done.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Yeah, the fuel dilution stinks. When I still had the DPF I was draining down to 1 quart low every 1000 miles and adding a quart of new, then doing a whole oil and filter change every 5000 miles. That improved my oil reports but once I got it off they really improved.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,435 Likes on 1,027 Posts
I'd suggest an investment of a scanguage II at least so you can monitor it. I run a banks IQ. I don't know what I'd do without something to monitor.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
I am up to 40 miles on my tripometer that I reset last night, so bout 140 total miles since I first noticed the exhaust message. The truck is still trying to clean and now that I know how to check it in the message center I can verify it.
I am thinking about taking it on the highway tommorrow morning before work. How many miles should it take so I can be sure there is problem or not? I was already 20 min late for work this morning because I kept driving around to see if it would complete. Getting pretty rediculous, any suggestions? I have parts on the way hopefully first thing next week but I would still like to know if i in fact have a problem.

On top of that I have a lopey idle when in drive, it steadies right out if I throw it in park. Is this a symptom of dpf cleaning?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I am up to 40 miles on my tripometer that I reset last night, so bout 140 total miles since I first noticed the exhaust message. The truck is still trying to clean and now that I know how to check it in the message center I can verify it.
I am thinking about taking it on the highway tommorrow morning before work. How many miles should it take so I can be sure there is problem or not? I was already 20 min late for work this morning because I kept driving around to see if it would complete. Getting pretty rediculous, any suggestions? I have parts on the way hopefully first thing next week but I would still like to know if i in fact have a problem.

On top of that I have a lopey idle when in drive, it steadies right out if I throw it in park. Is this a symptom of dpf cleaning?
Could be a symptom, when you put in Park should abort the cleaning. A sure sign is when you hear it "cooking and cracklin" after you shut it off. If I remember right you can leave the "cleaning" message on in the message center and it will go off when the cleaning is complete. hard to say how long, depends on how hot it gets and how much crap is trapped in there. Or you could have a problem but it should show a wrench if you do. I'm thinking you have been making short trips all week and it's never completed a cleaning. Get on the highway and run at 2000 RPMs or above and give it 10 minutes or maybe a bit more and see if it doesn't clean.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Mine will typically take about 10 miles...maybe 15 if towing. I think your issue here is trying to do a cleaning in city driving?

Get on the interstate and get it done. Steady speeds of around 50 mph is much better.

Oh and I reset my trip B once it is complete so I can monitor in between intervals. Once you establish that you may be able to plan a little better.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Hallelujah!

Ok, you all were right. I was ready to go for a highway ride this morning but I never got the message once the truck warmed up. Put some more miles on it tonight and it is behaving so it must be happy now.
That was a terrible experience I hope I never have to go through it a gain. My milage was at like 15-16 before this whole ordeal started now it is at 11.5 .

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Strange noises

Well as I have got more comfortable in my truck I have noticed a strange characteristic of the motor. The truck runs great but down in the lower revs (1250- 1750) when baby footing the accelerator the motor gives a kind of rattlesnake sound. As soon as I lay into it it will go away, only under light loadsdown low. Not sure what to make of it, its not as "light" as a lifter tap or as "heavy" as a rod knock. Rattlesnake was the best thing i could think of. Maybe the turbo is creating it? It doesnt do it at idle but it will do it in neutral in the same rpm range.
If I had time I would see if I could find another one to test drive. Until then I figured I would throw it out to see if it sounds like a normal characteristic of these trucks.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Relax. if it's cleaning now (and don't forget that's an ongoing process, it's gonna want to clean every 100 to 200 miles)and driving Ok you're doing ok. Diesels are a bit noisey, even these quite ones. If you have no wrench or check engine on the dash you're probably fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Well as I have got more comfortable in my truck I have noticed a strange characteristic of the motor. The truck runs great but down in the lower revs (1250- 1750) when baby footing the accelerator the motor gives a kind of rattlesnake sound. As soon as I lay into it it will go away, only under light loadsdown low. Not sure what to make of it, its not as "light" as a lifter tap or as "heavy" as a rod knock. Rattlesnake was the best thing i could think of. Maybe the turbo is creating it? It doesnt do it at idle but it will do it in neutral in the same rpm range.
If I had time I would see if I could find another one to test drive. Until then I figured I would throw it out to see if it sounds like a normal characteristic of these trucks.
I beleive it to be the sound of the injectors resonating throughout. I have it as well. Always have.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Relax. if it's cleaning now (and don't forget that's an ongoing process, it's gonna want to clean every 100 to 200 miles)and driving Ok you're doing ok. Diesels are a bit noisey, even these quite ones. If you have no wrench or check engine on the dash you're probably fine.
These things are quiet for sure, sounds like a gasser almost. Sometimes miss the sound of the old 7.3 until I get in one an ddrive it for a while. Now I have been checking the message center if Im ready to stop driving to see if it is cleaning but usually can tell at a stop light by the lopey idle. It started cleaning a yesterday a couple blocks before home and when I parked the truck it smelled like it was on fire, and man are the tail pipes hot when that it happening.
I got my guages but they messed up my pipe and sent me aluminized. Now they messed up the shipping on the stainless one.

Quick Reply: New 6.4 owner with some questions