1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

does this much oil on the intercooler pipes mean i need new turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 AM
nickt916
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does this much oil on the intercooler pipes mean i need new turbo??

i didnt think much of this before, but this doesnt look normal with this much oil on both ends of the pipes. In this case it seems like to much oil is shooting through the turbo and going to through the intercooler and then back up into the engine, next week ill try to clean things up and remove the pipes and see how it looks inside, but im scared that there is going to be a tone of oil build up and with that much oil ill likely need a new turbo or have mine rebuilt?

any suggestions or advice?

Name:  photo5.jpg
Views: 22577
Size:  215.9 KB

Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles on the truck? If it's well over 100,000 I would say that looks normal, your boots are probably leaking as well. If you don't have the ccv mod done you are putting an oily mist back thru your turbo and intercooler. Do the ccv mod and you will eliminate 98% of the crud. And no, that does not indicate you need a turbo.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:16 AM
nickt916
Senior User
Originally Posted by DISLFVR
How many miles on the truck? If it's well over 100,000 I would say that looks normal, your boots are probably leaking as well. If you don't have the ccv mod done you are putting an oily mist back thru your turbo and intercooler. Do the ccv mod and you will eliminate 98% of the crud. And no, that does not indicate you need a turbo.
truck has 150k miles, and that looks normal? i through when it goes through the intake it shouldnt have any oil going through there, maybe a tiny bit, but it should be this oily should it? or a 7.3 is a dirty little beast?

what is the ccv mod ?

Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Yes it is normal, and they do get dirty. Use the search function and you will find all kinds of reading on the ccv mod. Basically what it does is re-rout the crank-case fumes to the outside instead of thru the intercooler, that's one reason the boots will start leaking because you have oil build up inside the i/c pipes.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will politely disagree in that I don't think that much is normal, but still not a turbo. When turbos have issues you will get smoke out the pipe, just like a gasser burning oil.
Yes there is something going on, and the ccv is a good place to start. Check out Guzzle's mods, at Bob's Orings. Have you ever taken the tubes off and cleaned them? I used to have a build up around the intercooler junctions, but the ccv mod seems to have minimized that. I guess with enough time there could be that much build up but it looks excessive to me.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would spray everything, except the alternator, with some simple green and hose it down a few times. Mine still gets oil sweat on the drivers side boot. I have factory CCV.
Name:  40182666-4C58-43A8-960D-DE30A51A8959-2618-000000CEB8A2139A.jpg
Views: 22024
Size:  168.6 KB
After a good cleaning it should look like this ^^. Lol
At least you will be able to see where your oil is coming from and repair it easier. Could be loose clamps, could be normal. Pulling the tubes and clamps and cleaning everything wouldn't hurt.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Looks like you live in an area with orange clay. All that dust makes it that much worse. I've done the CCV mod years ago and I still get a little oil on boots, hardly noticeable I just wipe them off every couple months. A lot better than stock.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks normal to me if you've still got the stock CCV routing. Even with it all cleaned up, a stock CCV set up will leave oil inside the tubes. Enough to drip out if you remove them and hang them up.

I would guess you've got some loose boots though. Check the clamps on all 6 boots. The orange ones are likely loose. Just snug them up good, don't over-tighten. Also check inside the intake tube of behind your filter. K&N filters have been known to let too much dirt through. There should be no signs of dust inside the intake tube.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
nickt916
Senior User
I'm a new owner to this truck but ill guess it was never cleaned. It will be good to get a set of new boots while I'm at it

I was worried turbo was shooting to much through and has bad seals or something

Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing. That is normal for 150K. I had 189K and mine were worse. I did the CCV mod. Very simply you need to order a set of orings from here 4 Viton O-rings to reseal the Crank Case Vent cover or the originals will swell up and not be usable if you remove your ccv. Take your CCV dog house off by removing both of the phillips head screws. Use some brake parts cleaner to remove all of the gunk from the media inside the CCV. Plug the hole to your Air intake tube so you don't suck unclean air into your turbo. Flip the CCV around toward the back and turn the 90 degree hose up toward your brake resivoir. Put a tubing coupling which fits into the 90 degree tube and hose clamp it into place with maybe a 1.25 inch hose clamp, that you can purchase from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace hardware or most hardware stores in the plumbing department. You will need some tubing to go from that fitting to the back of the truck. I used 3/4 inch fuel rated hose about 16 feet long but I have a extended cab. That hose is about 4$/foot. You can just reroute it just under your cab and not have to pay for as much hose. I would not do this without at least 10 feet of hose. Buy some zip ties to tie up the hose. You might be able to get away with something cheaper but most have not used cheap stuff. Some have so please don't flame me for saying ALL people use fuel rated hose because I have seen some clear tubing in pictures. If you want new boots then measure the inlet AND outlet of your Intercooler. Some are 3 inch. Some are 3.25 inches. You need 4 boots/couplings at 3 inch measurements. Then you need 3 x ??? for the inlet to your intercooler and 3 x ???? for the outlet to your intercooler. You can use your stock clamps or order new t bolt clamps. Lots of people order the boot set from riffraff but if you are on a budget then you can get boots and clamps much cheaper from FROZENBOOST.COM
You can get a new hump boot for your intake between your K&N and your stock intake here Hump Hose
The straight couplers here on the same site. Silicone Hose
Finally the clamps. The silicone boots from frozenboost add about .18 inches to the diameter of the pipe. If the connection has a 3 inch boot then you will need a t bolt clamp for 3.0 silicone parts which will clamp 3.11" to 3.43". Clamps are here. T Bolt Clamp

4 boots measured at 3 inches are 28$
2 recucer boots are ...................24$
12 clamps at 2.60$ ea.................29.20$
That totals about 82$ plus shipping for a full boot set WITH clamps....
instead of 128$ just for the boots and another 48$ for the clamps for a total of 176$ plus shipping from site sponsors. That is almost a hundred bucks difference if you are on a budget!!!! I do not get any money from these guys but they have good boots at reduced prices and they do not put thier names on them. The downfall is that the components are not made in the USA.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM
reality_check
Junior User
I have the same problem with my truck, when I got it, I cleaned it thoroughly, and after 60k mi the build up is back, I was told that all the ccv oil mist goes through the charge air cooler ( intercooler ) and some of it deposits in the bottom of it, the person stated that after 80,000 mi he replaced his boots, did the ccv mod, and pulled the cac, he stated he drained out a quart or so of oil, simple greened it, and flushed it out, I will be doing all of this as soon as my boots come in the mail, as I believe that if the cac is not drained, and cleaned, the oil in there will continue to get pulled through the system, and leak out of the boots, plus decreases the cac volume, and efficiency.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Oil in the IC will get sucked up and burned, not a big deal. A good external cleaning, tighten the boot clamps and a CCV mod will keep it clean.

But cleaning the IC and leaving water in it, maybe not so good. I know a little water into a running gasser is an old school way to clean deposits, but my impression is diesels are not so forgiving due to the higher compression. Hopefully someone who knows can chime in on that. I see cleaning out the IC as a bunch of extra hassle with potential problems and almost no benefit.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
before

Name:  2011-03-23_09-19-01_69.jpg
Views: 19139
Size:  121.9 KB

Name:  2011-03-23_09-18-50_492.jpg
Views: 18127
Size:  122.5 KB

after

Name:  2011-03-28_13-48-45_898.jpg
Views: 18123
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  2011-03-28_13-48-20_162.jpg
Views: 19848
Size:  119.9 KB

As the others have said, clean her up real good with some simple green and elbow grease, then do the ccv mod. Keep in mind, this is California and best if you keep the ccv routed back into the intake, install a canister of some sort to catch the oil. This way, when the smog guy pokes his head in there, he see's it still hooked to the intake.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM
reality_check
Junior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Oil in the IC will get sucked up and burned, not a big deal. A good external cleaning, tighten the boot clamps and a CCV mod will keep it clean.

But cleaning the IC and leaving water in it, maybe not so good. I know a little water into a running gasser is an old school way to clean deposits, but my impression is diesels are not so forgiving due to the higher compression. Hopefully someone who knows can chime in on that. I see cleaning out the IC as a bunch of extra hassle with potential problems and almost no benefit.
IMHO, if one were wanting to do the ccv mod to eliminate the problems that it causes with the restriction, and boot problems, and go through the trouble of thoroughly cleaning the the boots, or replacing them, why would they leave oil in the IC just to get sucked up the pipes, and boots that they just cleaned, and cause the problem again, at least on one side of the IC.
When I mentioned cleaning out the IC, I should have stated to make sure the water has drained, and is dry, maybe by standing on its side, and putting a hair dryer on the low port for a while to completely let it dry out, I agree with you on water, not a good thing, but a well cleaned, and un obstructive IC system is a good thing. Please refer to the ccv mod instructions provided by Riff Raff on their site, scroll down to the bottom, http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/RE...structions.pdf

Last edited by reality_check; 11-25-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=nickt916;12518362]truck has 150k miles, and that looks normal? i through when it goes through the intake it shouldnt have any oil going through there, maybe a tiny bit, but it should be this oily should it? or a 7.3 is a dirty little beast?

what is the ccv mod

just the crankcase vent on driver valve cover towards rear of cover. Ford probably did this bc of emissions. Venting to atmosphere is the modification instead of to intake

Quick Reply: does this much oil on the intercooler pipes mean i need new turbo??