1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Source for OEM quality 02-04 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Source for OEM quality 02-04 headlights?

Hi there,

I hear the 02-04 headlights are better than the '00 headlights I have on my Excursion, so I am thinking of upgrading. Anyone have a link to OEM (or better) quality 02-04 headlight housings & lenses?

Notes:

- I read the 02-04 headlights are significantly better than the L99 - 01 design. How so? Better lens? Better reflector?

- I understand that the 05 are even better, but I kind of like the old school look, and the previous owner installed clear L pieces for the indicators & running lights around the main headlight, and those are still in pretty good condition & look good.

- my old '00 headlights were yellowy, and I used a good quality headlight restoration kit, and did the clear coat, but they still look slightly hazy & in worse condition than the surrounding L pieces, and I fear they're still slightly hampering my lighting's performance

- my other car has HIDs & it feels like I am driving by candlelight in comparison when I get in my X after driving my other car at night. Ideally, I'd like HIDs, but am reluctant as my X is lifted 8" & the stock reflector design isn't optimized for HID bulbs. So I'm thinking it might be wise to just get a good quality new OEM headlight lens housing, put some high power regular bulbs in (like the PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs) & heavy duty relayed wiring as a compromise between being able to see better & blinding other road users. And then I'll get some offroad lights or an LED bar to supplement the regular lights when offroading / out in the middle of nowhere. So I'll have lights that aren't too obnoxious on a day-to-day basis, but still let me see better; and then have the aux lights to supplement the main lighting for when they are needed.

- I did look on eBay & Amazon but there are many options & no idea which designs are good & have reputable sellers, so thought I'd try tapping the collective knowledge of the FTE brotherhood, as I'm sure there are others that have gone this route in the past & would be willing to share their experience

- is it worth doing something like a Brite box (or similar scheme, like diode from high beam relay trigger wire to low beam relay trigger wire) to run the low beams in addition to the high beams whenever the high beams are on? Or does that get too hot or is too bright for regular use? I suppose if I did the home brew route, I could wire a switch in series with the diode between the high beam relay trigger wire & low beam relay trigger wire, so I would have the option of running highs only, or highs & lows simultaneously

Thoughts?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM
01PS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xbox73
Hi there,

I hear the 02-04 headlights are better than the '00 headlights I have on my Excursion, so I am thinking of upgrading. Anyone have a link to OEM (or better) quality 02-04 headlight housings & lenses?

Notes:

- I read the 02-04 headlights are significantly better than the L99 - 01 design. How so? Better lens? Better reflector?

- I understand that the 05 are even better, but I kind of like the old school look, and the previous owner installed clear L pieces for the indicators & running lights around the main headlight, and those are still in pretty good condition & look good.

- my old '00 headlights were yellowy, and I used a good quality headlight restoration kit, and did the clear coat, but they still look slightly hazy & in worse condition than the surrounding L pieces, and I fear they're still slightly hampering my lighting's performance

- my other car has HIDs & it feels like I am driving by candlelight in comparison when I get in my X after driving my other car at night. Ideally, I'd like HIDs, but am reluctant as my X is lifted 8" & the stock reflector design isn't optimized for HID bulbs. So I'm thinking it might be wise to just get a good quality new OEM headlight lens housing, put some high power regular bulbs in (like the PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs) & heavy duty relayed wiring as a compromise between being able to see better & blinding other road users. And then I'll get some offroad lights or an LED bar to supplement the regular lights when offroading / out in the middle of nowhere. So I'll have lights that aren't too obnoxious on a day-to-day basis, but still let me see better; and then have the aux lights to supplement the main lighting for when they are needed.

- I did look on eBay & Amazon but there are many options & no idea which designs are good & have reputable sellers, so thought I'd try tapping the collective knowledge of the FTE brotherhood, as I'm sure there are others that have gone this route in the past & would be willing to share their experience

- is it worth doing something like a Brite box (or similar scheme, like diode from high beam relay trigger wire to low beam relay trigger wire) to run the low beams in addition to the high beams whenever the high beams are on? Or does that get too hot or is too bright for regular use? I suppose if I did the home brew route, I could wire a switch in series with the diode between the high beam relay trigger wire & low beam relay trigger wire, so I would have the option of running highs only, or highs & lows simultaneously

Thoughts?
The body shop put the newer clear headlight buckets on my truck after my wreck. They also put the clear L pieces on. They look good together. Mine are made by a company called "Eagle Eyes". They're a bit cheezy but they do the trick. Then I bought the bi-xenon 55w HID kit from retro solutions. I wouldn't have it any other way. I did have to aim down quite a bit to keep the whiners from flashing their brights at me but can see for days compared to the clear lenses with silverstar ultras.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Check out 1 A Auto. I have used them in the past, great to work with, great prices and free shipping

2002 Ford F250 Truck Headlights & Parking Lights at 1AAuto.com

Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For OEM, I would go with Tousley, 2002 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Here was a recent thread that covers the upgrades, I went with aftermarket assemblies and the upgraded harness to run 80/100 bulbs from Susquehanna in post 9

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hat-years.html

Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM
65f100_352
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about rock auto?

Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Bump on this thread. I followed Alan's recommendation of shopping at Tousley's. If you order headlights there, they show as $147 each. After completing an order online for a pair at $295 plus shipping, I was surprised to see my CC get hit for only $215. I called up just now and they verified that the price online is not correct due to something to do with collision vs. normal parts or something. They're actually $101 each. I figure the first OEM set lasted pretty well for 11 years, I could probably afford to drop a few extra bucks on OEM the second go-round.