1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jon's 1950 f-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This build is ridiculous!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Cannon plug idea is pretty cool. I'm taking notes!
LOL,,, I'm an aviation guy, it just seemed normal to install them so that the cab could be removed if needed without cutting or de-wiring to do it, but thanks for thinking me that smart.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
This build is ridiculous!!!
Thanks for the cudo's, it has been a bunch of fun to be able to freestyle on Jon's truck.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Project-55
Elder User
More pic's

Wife sent me a few more pic's from my files.

The wireing continues

The dyna-mat makes the truck sound like your knocking on a block of wood.

Jon did not want any wireing or hoses in the engine bay so I ran the hoses inside the R/H wheel well (minus the bungi cord)

And all of the chassis wireing inside the L/H wheel well. All of the engine wireing is routed under the air cleaner then straight back thru the firewall into the cab.

The cab waiting to be mated to the chassis.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Project-55
LOL,,, I'm an aviation guy, it just seemed normal to install them so that the cab could be removed if needed without cutting or de-wiring to do it, but thanks for thinking me that smart.
OH! OH! I was just wondering today about how I should proceed! I need to work on the cab before I wire everything. Too late to do any bodywork or paint this year..I am also an aviation guy, but not electrical. Structures were my thing. I want to see some connectors to do the same thing.
I mean I would like to be able to plug/unplug the cab.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
OH! OH! I was just wondering today about how I should proceed! I need to work on the cab before I wire everything. Too late to do any bodywork or paint this year..I am also an aviation guy, but not electrical. Structures were my thing. I want to see some connectors to do the same thing.
I mean I would like to be able to plug/unplug the cab.
To be 100% honest, I can't remember the part numbers of the plugs I used but here is how I figured out which ones to buy.

I counted the number and wire size of all the wires exiting the cab.

Next I pulled out my EDMO Distributors book and started looking for an enviromental plug that would work.

Because of the limited space where I wanted the wireing to enter, I had to use two smaller plugs rather than one for the chassis, but only used one for all the engine wireing.

I'm pretty sure that the plugs I used were AMP units, they have a plastic case with enviro seals to keep water and crud out but I still coated the pins and sockets with DC-4 compond.

PS: I bought plugs with extra pins so if Jon wants to add something later he can just pop the pins and sockets in.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can just go to a big box in the attic - next to my massive vacuum tube stash.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Project-55
To be 100% honest, I can't remember the part numbers of the plugs I used but here is how I figured out which ones to buy.

I counted the number and wire size of all the wires exiting the cab.

Next I pulled out my EDMO Distributors book and started looking for an enviromental plug that would work.

Because of the limited space where I wanted the wireing to enter, I had to use two smaller plugs rather than one for the chassis, but only used one for all the engine wireing.

I'm pretty sure that the plugs I used were AMP units, they have a plastic case with enviro seals to keep water and crud out but I still coated the pins and sockets with DC-4 compond.

PS: I bought plugs with extra pins so if Jon wants to add something later he can just pop the pins and sockets in.
I am already researching this. Thank you very much. And you are building one sick ride! Very cool...I wish I had the determination and somebody elses money too! Awesome work! Even with somebody's money, I wouldn't make the cut. LOL

Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
I can just go to a big box in the attic - next to my massive vacuum tube stash.

LOL not quite that easy, but I wish it was so

Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I am already researching this. Thank you very much. And you are building one sick ride! Very cool...I wish I had the determination and somebody elses money too! Awesome work! Even with somebody's money, I wouldn't make the cut. LOL
Jon realized early on that his "wish list" was going to cost him dearly and I have really, really enjoyed building his dream truck. I have told him that all I want in return is that he drive it, it will kill me if he hides it away 11 &1/2 months a year.

My truck on the other hand is going to be more or less a junk yard build do to the wifes rationing of funds.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Some finishing touches

OK, I have survived another season of xmas tree harvest and am back in Idaho again, enjoying my grandkids again.

Went in this am and took some pic's of the truck which has sat alone for a month now, waiting for us to finish the job.

The interior is nearly complete but there are still some minor things to finish up.

I have left the plastic over everything because I don't want to be thr first to mare the leather,,,thats Jon's job.

The door panels turned out better than I thought they would from the uphoustery guy Rick's discription.

And he went above and beyond on the headliner.

Here's the battery box, neatly tucked in behind the passenger seat.

And the rear speaker grills were awesome too.

The flaming river wheel is beautiful but I'm afraid to touch it so I wraped it too.

The last items are the running boards which Cal is custom fitting to match the fender profiles exactly.

Cal fitted the fenders to the inner fender panels so perfectly that no welting of any kind is needed.

I hope to get the hood back on tommorrow and begin mounting up the bumper, headlights etc.

I can't wait to see it completed.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 AM
christurney77
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is nice!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that's turning out to be one beautiful truck.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Light years beyond my truck. What a great build! Nice work Project55! This is one of those that either inspire or depress. I am choosing inspire. Thanks for all the pics, I am learning some more - again.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Project-55
Elder User
We installed the hood today, (no pic's yet), plugged the last few bolts in the front fenders and I finally got the radiator tank painted, but thats about it as Cal (our body guy) is totally focused on the running boards right now.

I will post more in a few days as we get it back on it's wheels.

Quick Reply: Jon's 1950 f-1