Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crash fuel shut off switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 02:59 PM
tommyhand
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink crash fuel shut off switch?

I have purchased a 1988 Ford Van E150 with EFI and dual tanks.

Where is my emergency fuel shut off switch located? I know where the tank selector switch is but I do not know where the shut off switch is.

Old 05-21-2003, 03:42 PM
nightowl_52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if your 88 is the same as my 92, but mine is behind the passenger side kick panal. I guess that's an old term, but you know ,the panal in front of the door that runs under the dash.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On an '88, it's in front of the clutch pedal on the firewall, under the steering column.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:42 AM
tommyhand
New User

I have an automatic trans so therefore no clutch petal. Are we talking inside the cab or out?

Thanks for the very quick replay..and also for the info..Is this a toggle type switch or what kind and can you tell me what it looks like. Also the sticker on the front of my engine compartment says that this vechile is equiped with a fuel shut off switch. I am assuming that the crash switch is what they are talking about..

Last edited by tommyhand; 05-23-2003 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:44 AM
jbalestri
Posting Guru

Tommy,

It is a black box, bolted to the firewall. It has a red plunger switch. I think the box is roughly 2" wide, 4" tall, and about 1" thick. It has a plug that goes into the bottom with a grey and red wire, I think that is the color code.

Look behind the brake pedal and to the left a little.

I'm sure steve probably has a picture somewhere.

The switch is also called an "inertia switch".

It is inside the cab, sorry.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:44 AM
tommyhand
New User

Thank you so much.. Maybe I can return the favor if you have a electronic problem or maybe some computer problem.. Thanks

Old 05-27-2003, 09:52 AM
tommyhand
New User

Well I tried to find the BLACK box you talked about but no luck.. I did find a "little" black box located to the left of the brake pedal but maybe 1" by 2" by 2" max. and no red or orange button.

Tell me is this switch in series with the high pressure fuel pump?
Is this the fuel cut-off switch that the sticker is refering to or does this van have maybe two switches? One being for crash and the other just a security switch?

Old 05-27-2003, 10:01 AM
jbalestri
Posting Guru

Its the same switch. The button is on top, surrounded by black plastic. It is hard to see. I might be off on the dimensions, because I only looked at mine once when my selector switch went out.

If I remember correctly, it is wired in series. Ignition, relay, inertia switch, selector switch, then pump.

If it has two wires in one plug going into the bottom of it, you found it. Look closer at the top of the box, there is a black ring, inside that ring is the switch. If you push it down, it shuts off the fuel, recommended to change filter, and then take a screwdriver/key and pop it back up.

If you still can't find it, let me know. I'll see if I can take a picture of my truck tonight and post it tomorrow for you.

Old 05-27-2003, 10:25 AM
tommyhand
New User

I would love a picture. It would be a thousand words.

Should I change the gas filter??? One book said their was NO need to change it.

One more question--My son just drove this van to Mertyal beach SC from Louisville KY. He called me today and told me that the van only got about 9.3 Miles per gallon. I know with a 302 & with EFI I am not going to get 25 MPG but 9???. It might need a turn up but he said it was running great...just eats GAS.

This is the second van I have, the other one is a 1977 E150 with a 351 and gets about 12-15MPG and a LOT more power.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-27-2003, 06:17 PM
steve83
Post Fiend

Here's a pic.

Old 05-28-2003, 08:22 AM
jbalestri
Posting Guru

Steve, you are da man. I knew you probably had a picture somewhere.

I was having trouble yesterday with getting into my gallery, but I found a typical switch. From what I read, it seems that basically there is only one inertia switch used in almost every car. Here is a picture of one type. I was thinking that it was bigger, but from tommyhand description, I think this is it.

Let us know if you find it, tommyhand.

Old 05-28-2003, 08:39 AM
steve83
Post Fiend

There's an older bulkier style with a fully exposed white button used more in cars, but that's the one used on trucks.

Old 05-28-2003, 12:38 PM
tommyhand
New User

Thank you'll. When I get my van back next week I'll look again but I'm almost positive that is it--I really like the pictures of the Bronko.....

Thanks again

Can anyone tell me anything about the "computer" test connector? I think I found it. It is red and only has three wires in the connector. What can I use with it??? A scope?

Old 05-28-2003, 08:03 PM
steve83
Post Fiend

The red makes it sound like an ABS connector, but here is just about everything you need to know about pulling EEC-IV codes. All it takes is a paperclip, a pen, and a notepad.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:57 PM
tommyhand
New User

I guess I'm lost. I have a HAYNES manual for full size vans 1969 to 1991. In the back of this book it has a section for Vans built after 1987(I have a 88). This section contains diagrams for EFI systems and which shows the EEC module and two connectors. one is called "self test connector" and the second is called "VIP test connector." Before we go on I would like to say I have NEVER seen a engine warning light on this van and I really don't think I have one. The self test connector only has one wire but the VIP connector has three wires.

I guess I need a better book?

Sorry for the confusion but I bought this van at a CHEAP price and it runs good. I got involved in all this when one of the control relays went bad and it cost me $$$$to get it fixed. Then the other control relay to the EEC went bad and I said I'll fix it. which I did at a cost of $12.00 for a new relay. I am trying to understand all I can about this van. I really like it and it runs good now except for the fuel consumtion. That is why I was looking to see if the EEC would tell me anything.

Am I barking up the wrong tree????

Quick Reply: crash fuel shut off switch?