Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

accelerator pedal sticks

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 10:37 AM
liz loyd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accelerator pedal sticks

The accelerator pedal on my 94 Explorer Sport sticks to the floor if I push it all the way down. It only happens when I push all the way down like when I want to pass on the highway. If I am careful and only accelerate ALMOST all the way to the floor, there is no problem. I have to pump at the pedal to get it to come back up and so far it has always come back. I'm afraid the engine is going to blow up because the engine is revving so fast! I made sure the floor mat is not in the way, but I don't know what I'm checking for when I look at the rod and spring under the pedal. Both move all the way down and up when I use my hand. Can I grease these rods or otherwise fix this myself?

Old 05-21-2003, 06:07 PM
WillieTD
Senior User
accelerator pedal sticks

Most likely it's the throttle cable. Do a search for "throttle cable mod" and you'll find a fix involving zip ties that takes about 5 minutes.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:27 AM
liz loyd
New User
accelerator pedal sticks

Thanks for your help....I need more. I can't seem to locate the zip tie fix you referred to. I searched, but......can you please tell me exactly where to look?