North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

?'s about weighted tags

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:55 PM
asquared
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?'s about weighted tags

Hi guys, just wondering about weighted tags in NC. I haven't been able to find out much on-line. If it matters, I am in Alamance county and I run an '09 F250 w/ 6.4 PSD that I bought in January of this year. It weighs in at roughly 8500 lbs. I currently tow a 7000 lb camping trailer (with approx 1000 lb tongue weight) and am looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel that will probably weigh around 10,000 lbs loaded (the pin weight will put me over my GVWR but under my RAWR). My current weighted tags are for 10,000 lbs. This is what the dealership gave me when I told them exactly what I haul. Am I ok with this or do I need a heavier tag? Is the tag based on the weight solely in the truck or the GCWR of what I am towing? Also, if I need a heavier tag, how do I go about getting it? If I am looking at a GCWR of close to 19K do I need to get more than a standard class C license? Thanks guys. I am still new to all of this.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 AM
wp120470
Posting Guru

I would think the best way to find out the legal answer to this is to call your local lisence plate agency and talk to them because they would know more than any of us since they issue the plates.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Certainly check with the dmv.

From what I remember if your total truck weight, minus any towed load, exceeds 8,000 pounds you need a weighted tag. And you can get different tags for different loads and they cost accordingly. Also, you can tow up to 10,000 pounds without any issues/permits.

You don't need any commercial license for what you're hauling. I think the exceptions are if your tow rig weights more then 14,000 or your GCVWR is greater then 26,900 then you need to step up to a cdl class "c" or "b" depending on several factors.

My excursion is considered an suv and as such is exempt from weighted tags. I can have a GCVWR of 19,900 before I have to persue any special requirements.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out and give us some clarification.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by ncheavymetal
You don't need any commercial license for what you're hauling. I think the exceptions are if your tow rig weights more then 14,000 or your GCVWR is greater then 26,900 then you need to step up to a cdl class "c" or "b" depending on several factors.
What a bunch of malarkey.

If the trailer GVWR is over 10k and the trailer GVWR + the truck GVWR is over 26k then you need a class A.

Commercial = CDL class A.

CDL exempt, RV, farm Etc. = NonCDL class A

Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 PM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
I got some of it right. Not all malarky. Got the trailer/load part right. Got the combined weight pretty darn close. Didn't get the endorsement right. Pardon me.

Why don't you share your knowledge further and assist the person with the original question.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by ncheavymetal

Why don't you share your knowledge further and assist the person with the original question.

Thanks.
I did.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 AM
wp120470
Posting Guru

Well that was kinda rude. Don't sweat it NCHeavymetal. Niether you or I knew Mr. Know It All was going to join us. We were just giving information to the best of our knowledge. So chill. We are a tad bit more relaxed here in the N.C. Chapter.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
No sweat off my back. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and figure maybe he was having a grumpy moment. It's all good. I think everyone is just trying to help.

I think the OP is on the right track anyway. He needs to check with dmv to ensure he's legal. Let us know what you find out and give us all some clarification.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 PM
asquared
Freshman User
Ok thanks for the info guys. I will check back when I learn more from dmv and dot.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I wouldn't trust the DMV for a straight answer, they are clueless. I drove my f250 for 10 years pulling the same trailer with a regular tag every day without a ticket, then I got pulled and was over weight by less than 2000 lbs. I went to the DMV to find out which tag I needed and they basically asked me which tag I wanted.

If you don't tow often I would roll the dice and run a regular tag, like I said for 10 years every day with out a ticket..... My other vehicle is an Excursion and I tow a 8500# camper and I don't have to have a weight tag ever. Makes no sense.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Best to go to one of the weigh scales for the trucks, there is where you will get the answer.
You will also need a dot number for anything over 10,000 lbs. You also need a medical card to drive a vehicle with a dot number.
You will also need a fuel sticker.
Any vehicle over 26,000 lbs requires a CDL class B licence. A combinated (truck and trailer) unit requires an A CDL licence

we have a 33,000 lb rollback we run from here in MD, To our property in NC, being a tow truck, the weight limit says N/A, so that you can tow. In NC, you need an apportinated ( commercial weighted) tag, so we got a $1000 fine for being 27,000 lbs, or 1,000 lbs over the lightest weight truck tag. We also got fined for no fuel sticker, as Md does not require one.

Check all this out, before you make the trip with your new rig, and wind up paying your whole vacation money away in fines.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to kick some information into it. In NC if you are towing a camper(TT fifth wheel toy hauler)you DO NOT have to add the weight of the camper to your truck tags.As long as the trailer/camper being towed has factory sleeping quarters,now this changes if you are towing a boat or other,but not a camper..

Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 PM
asquared
Freshman User
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to kick some information into it. In NC if you are towing a camper(TT fifth wheel toy hauler)you DO NOT have to add the weight of the camper to your truck tags.As long as the trailer/camper being towed has factory sleeping quarters,now this changes if you are towing a boat or other,but not a camper..
Where did you find thos out? As stated above the dmv was clueless. We currently are below the truck gvwr and weighted tags with the current trailers tongue weight. The trick will he when we buy the 5th wheel we want. The new 5th wheel would be around 12000 lbs loaded and would have a pin weight of around 2400 lbs. This would put me over the weighted tag weight and over my gvwr but under my rear gawr. We just want to be legal but they don't make that easy.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM
crown14
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
Best to go to one of the weigh scales for the trucks, there is where you will get the answer.
You will also need a dot number for anything over 10,000 lbs. You also need a medical card to drive a vehicle with a dot number.
You will also need a fuel sticker.
Any vehicle over 26,000 lbs requires a CDL class B licence. A combinated (truck and trailer) unit requires an A CDL licence

we have a 33,000 lb rollback we run from here in MD, To our property in NC, being a tow truck, the weight limit says N/A, so that you can tow. In NC, you need an apportinated ( commercial weighted) tag, so we got a $1000 fine for being 27,000 lbs, or 1,000 lbs over the lightest weight truck tag. We also got fined for no fuel sticker, as Md does not require one.

Check all this out, before you make the trip with your new rig, and wind up paying your whole vacation money away in fines.

Your fuel sticker info is wrong, at least in relation to a pickup truck. Been running 17k tags for years with no additional requirements- also fyi that means truck + loaded trailer is not to exceed 17k lbs. My old truck (dually) was 7k, trailer is 2200, so I could tow cars/trucks up to 8800 lbs on my 17k tags. New truck is 7500... but is SRW and I wont be so likely to overload it, so ill only be tagging it at 15k lbs.

NC DMV is happy to answer your questions, or ask a NC highway patrolman as they will be writing you any overweight ticket you may get.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
I guess you missed the part about it was a Rollback ( flatbed wrecker)
This truck would be weighted at 33,000 lbs, and requires a CDL driver. This truck DOES require a fuel sticker. I have the ticket (fine) to prove that
This is also a two year old thread.

Quick Reply: ?'s about weighted tags