1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2.3L Power??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 04:44 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.3L Power??

I'm not sure if this is something you would want to do, but since no one mentioned it yet, this would be cheaper than the turbo, and offer some significant gains. http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSNS/PwrFoggr.html

The only drawback would be that you'd have to fill the bottle. But if you kept it set low, it shouldn't be that often.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3L Power??

I believe im going to atleast look into the electric fan, and ill prolly take 'er to the local muffler shop and see if they'll stick me a pipe in there, if not, ill just take 'er out to the mettal shop. The box mod sounds promising, i think what i may do is go to one of the salvages and see if i can pick one up for a few bucks, cut it and stick it in, man, a 10-12 horsepower gain is what i need, now i just need to pull more torque outta her. Hey Cav, thanks alot for posting the pics, i really appreciate it. Ill let you know how it goes.

Stan

Old 05-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Cav
Freshman User
2.3L Power??

No problem, that's what we're all here for! Getting a box from the junk yard is safer than cutting your original like I did. Actually, I just got a MAF adapter in the mail that I bought on e-bay for $25 and I'm heading to the store to get a K&N cone type filter. Gonna play a bit! That and I gotta replace my EPS sensor. Got a bad code.

Good luck and lemme know how it turns out.

Bob

Old 05-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
2.3L Power??

Hey Cav, if i do the box cut, i dont need the maf do i?? Kinda new to some of this, dont really understand, lol, sorry man. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Cav
Freshman User
2.3L Power??

You DO need the whole MAF sensor, the truck won't run without it. Don't take THAT out!!

If you cut the box, then no, you don't need an aftermarket MAF adapter to fit a K&N cone type filter. Not sure it'll get that much more flow, really. It'll just look nicer, that's all.

Just drop a stock size K&N filter in the box. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
92SprezRanger
New User
Simple, Cheap, and almost easy

I have a 92, similar to what you have, all I've done to mine for cheap easy power is got rid of the cat, kept the 2" exhaust, blocked off the egr port, added a k&n filter, removed the air intake muffler, and finally tipped the air intake tube (behind the headlight) down towards the ground. These have netted me about 25+ extra hp, a bit more torque, and better fuel economy. there is a site that'll help you through some of these stages. www.cadvision.com this guy is out of canada, but his tricks still work here, I've followed a few, and will follow some more.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM
rootbeer
Junior User
.............My 2008 , 2.3 has plenty of power for my needs . I accelerate too 70 mph in 3rd. then to 4th. and I'm running along with everyone else ! I have the 5 speed auto , the only problem I have is running 70 or so , straight into a strong head wind .rb

Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 AM
92SprezRanger
New User
Mine is the 5 sp manual. can't come up w/anything for the auto yet, but I'll check around for you...

Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cav
If your truck is light blue, then we have the EXACT same truck. I have the 60/40 bench with about 123 k on her now.

I had the same problem with power so I installed an electric fan, ripped the intake tube out and cut rather large holes on the DIRTY side of the filter box. Dropped in a K&N filter and replaced my restrictive stock muffler with a Cherry Bomb glasspack. Now she sounds great, runs great and has quite a bit more kick than when I got her stock. Added double platinum plugs, synthetic trans fluid, normal tune-up stuff like that. The plugs won't give you more power, just leep you from losing is form normal erosion. Don't forget, there's 8 of them and at $5 a plug, that's $40.

The fan was $79 at Pep-Boys with a $40 adjustable relay/temp sensor.

Cutting the box and removing the baffle and stock intake cold air tube cost nothing but time. K&N about $40.

The glasspack was a whole $14.99 at Pep-Boys also. Add $3 for a couple clamps and it'll bolt right in place of your stock muffler.

Total cost without plugs - about $175.

It's no 351, but she's about as good as a 2.3 can get on a budget! After all that, I'm getting about 21 mpg and that's being heavy on the gas pedal.

Good luck!
Just wondering, will these mods work on the 2.5L with 5 speed manual?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
92SprezRanger
New User
well, parts of my truck are light blue, I bought mine wrecked after it hit a deer. now it's a desert sand color thanks to the cheap ulta flat camo paint! I was able to get my hands on a similar ranger for parts and got rid of my bench, going to the dual bucket style. i found that by putting a piece of sheet metal in between the egr and the intake it gave me some more power and a bit more @ the pedal. i just use the standard thrush turbo muffler and it's great! my next project is robbing some 3.0 parts to get the air flowing better and cleaning up the inside of the intake as best i can, pluss adding the 2.5l fuel pump as it causes the stock 14lb injectors to act like 17lb injectors, hopefully this all works. i'm growing closer to the 30 mpg mark for highway, about 23-25 in the city depending on how traffic is and how i drive.

but just by blocking off the egr, i have more power in 4th and 5th gear on the 2.3, but not enough to call home about! msd does make aftermarket coilpacks for these vehicles, as well as a box to advance/retard the timing.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
The best bang for the buck would be a lower gear ratio, as long you do not drive at 70 mph or more. What do you have now, 3:73 or 4:10?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM
92SprezRanger
New User
Right now I nave an 8.8 from a 95 Exploder that has a superior axle c-clip elimination kit and eaton internals, I think I'm at a 3.73 right now, but I do want to go to the 4.10 since I plan on running about a 33" tire. I'm still looking into other performance mods, but it's going to be trial and error, my utilizing the 3.0 system blew up in my face!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
court1100f
Elder User
OK I've gotta chime in here since I actually like the 2.3L. story first!!! in condensed form. (for those interested heres the link to the original full length post https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-is-tough.html.) suffice it to say for sake of conversation ours is a 93 Ranger not a 94 like stated in the original post with a standard cab 2.3L,5 Speed manual,the bucket seats and a greenish color ANYway point being my Wifes Mazda Blew up and all we had was her Dads ranger and we hauled that 94 Mazda 626 on the back of a huge 16 foot trailer, With NO modifications or even a tuneup at 161,000 original miles in the hill Country of central tx with a F load of steep grade hills. It pulled the 16 foot heavy duty trailer and a 94 626 which probly weighs as much or more than the truck does by it'self never mind the tailer at 45MPH up hill only having to down shift to 3rd to maintain speed on the steepest grades and 4th on the lighter grades for 50 miles THAT impressed the hell outta me. Furthermore our little guy has ZERO hwy issues and for a 4 cylinder of american vintage I think the little dude hauls ***. NOW. I use to also have a 88 Ford Tempo(I actually loved mine) with the 2.3L and Front wheel drive and a 5 speed. while researching souping it up I discovered a few things that should work flawlessly for ya'll. First off all your ideas have made me think, unfortunately compromising the emmissions system in Houston,Tx isn't a option if I want it street legal. anyway I discovered that you CAN get high performance cams for this engine Crower makes them I was gonna get the Baha cam lots more torque/HP/Substancially better fuel economy.

and since we are talking about 2.3L performance potential a friend in high school had one of the mentioned SVO Mustakes with the turbo 2.3L running 350HP and it slaughtered the 5.0L cause it wraped out so fast. but what I had planned to do before the crappy rebuild blew the damn piston rings at like 50,000 miles(our Mechanic at the time screwed us royally!!!) Infact now in retrospect I doubt it was even a rebuild. but anyway I was gonna have the Head rebuilt and have it ported and polished then port matched to the intake plenum and the Header I was gonna use a good free flowing exhaust,50,000 volt coil,the crower camshaft,MSD 6AL box, a K&N mounted directly to the throttle body(Speed Density) and run about 9.0:1 compression ratio, and about a 15PSI Boost turbo, with underdrive pulleys to cut back on parasitic power loss. THAT 2.3L in that form from what I was told by clifford performance and some others would produce close to if not over 400HP and EASILY 365Ft Lbs of Torque and still get roughly 20-23MPG when you kept your foot out of it

P.S. the 2.3L Turbo Mustake with 350HP didn't even have anywhere near this level of performance modifications so I'm thinking you could get more than 400 but who knows in either case lol thats it

Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 PM
84 f250 6.9
Posting Guru
has anyone seen the turbo 4 bangers on youtube? there crazy fast those rangers

Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
When my 1996 2.3 5speed lost power it was the O2 sensor going bad however it did throw the CEL to on...well sort of.

Quick Reply: 2.3L Power??