1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera and Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Backup Camera and Bracket

A while ago I started a thread describing an overhead mounting bracket I designed to go between the inner sun visor brackets:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-bracket.html

I use the bracket to support the display for my backup camera, although it could be used for any number of things.

At the time I stated that I would also post a link for the camera I used, and also for my license-plate camera-mounting bracket. I am finally getting around to that.

Here's the camera:

Amazon.com: XO Vision HTC35 Universal Weatherproof Backup Camera with NightVision: Car Electronics

It is really an excellent value.

Below are the dimensions for the bracket I made to mount it under the license plate. I made the bracket out of thin aluminum. I used a chassis hole punch to cut the 1-1/8" hole at the top for the camera.

Note that with this camera, the front side is sealed, but the back side is not (I think it's designed for bulkhead mounting, where only the lens side is exposed). So, I first sealed the back side with RTV silicone, then I covered that with adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing.

I waited until the camera and bracket were mounted under the license plate, then I bent the top of the bracket downwards to get the camera angle I wanted. The way I have it, you can "just" see the top of the hitch ball in the bottom of the camera frame. It makes hooking up a trailer a cinch.

Feel free to use and distribute this design as you'd like. If you have any questions, post them and I will reply ASAP. My camera's loaned out right now, but I will post some photos of the installation when I get it back.

Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Here's a couple shots of my license plate camera bracket with the camera installed. Note the heatshrink tubing on the backside, and how it is angled downward to reduce water incursion.

The bracket as-designed allows plenty of clearance for the tailgate, up or down.

Attached Images