Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Broken towing mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken towing mirror

The dirtbag kids across the street had another party this weekend and my truck took the brunt of the abuse. They decided to have a fight in the cul-de-sac and someone smashed the mirror on the driver's side of my truck. The glass broke, the plate that holds the glass was destroyed and fell off and the base of the mirror is broken. It doesn't look like anything else is damaged but I'm not taking any chances and having the insurance adjuster come and look at it. Besides that fact that I'm furious and filed a police report. Now I've got to replace the mirror.

I'd like to get reccomendations from people who have replaced their mirrors. Should I go with a Ford mirror or get an aftermarket mirror? Depending on how things work out I may upgrade to the heated/turn signal mirror, however, that would require purchasing both mirrors. It really all depends on what the insurance company tells me.

Thanks in advance,

Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
I got after market mirrors off of Amazon for my '93 Bronco. Perfect fit, good view in the glass, and they work great. I would go that route (Amazon) anytime I need them again.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:02 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i got aftermarket heated mirrors for my 02 off ebay for around $150 after the driver side got broke in a parking lot. they work great and have been on the truck for around 4 years now.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:06 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
beware of ebay mirrors. I have some, and I HATE them. My truck came with the paddle style mirrors, so I bought the cheapies off ebay, they shake like crazy, very annoying. It's on one of my many "to-do" lists to replace

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the wrecking yard... should be about $75. OEM is the way to go.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought an after market from A&M AUTO, (I think) and it is working just fine. I cannot tell the difference.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
tried to get a replacement driver mirror for my '01. Dealer said that Ford does not make that style and sold me an 'updated' version (went from 90 degrees to a 180 degree moveable and looks very different)...... did not match the passenger side and the plug in was different...told Ford to take it back. Go with after market and look closely at the 'style' and the plug connectors.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Thanks for the great information. I'll start checking Amazon. I already checked with the local wrecking yards and it appears used oem mirrors are difficult to acquire. Kind of have to be there when the part comes in.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 AM
dsquared
Elder User
Originally Posted by TinyWonder
Thanks for the great information. I'll start checking Amazon. I already checked with the local wrecking yards and it appears used oem mirrors are difficult to acquire. Kind of have to be there when the part comes in.

I ordered the driver side tow mirror (Pilot brand) from Amazon for ~ $180.00. It shipped from the local ditribution, and the package arrived in 2 days. As I removed the old mirror, UPS pulled up with my box. Unfortunately, the box was waaaay too small for my mirror. What they sent was Euro-style headlight covers for a 2000-2006 Silverado. WTF!!!! I had to send it back, and for a refund only, as they didn't have my part in stock!! I then had to special order from Auto Zone ($234.00); again, the Pilot brand. Came in 2 days later, and is a perfect match!! (Except the little white lines on the bottom arm). Mirror had correct plug, is rock solid..... I'm happy...

Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by dsquared
I ordered the driver side tow mirror (Pilot brand) from Amazon for ~ $180.00. It shipped from the local ditribution, and the package arrived in 2 days. As I removed the old mirror, UPS pulled up with my box. Unfortunately, the box was waaaay too small for my mirror. What they sent was Euro-style headlight covers for a 2000-2006 Silverado. WTF!!!! I had to send it back, and for a refund only, as they didn't have my part in stock!! I then had to special order from Auto Zone ($234.00); again, the Pilot brand. Came in 2 days later, and is a perfect match!! (Except the little white lines on the bottom arm). Mirror had correct plug, is rock solid..... I'm happy...
Wow.... 180.00.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 410 Likes on 233 Posts
OEM is the only way to go IMHO.<O</O
<O</O
Brother Les – I had the same response from Ford Parts.com when I had been looking at replacing my sport mirrors with the tow mirrors for my 02. I was told that the part was no longer available and when I went to my local dealer to see what my options and prices might be for others, I was told that they could easily get the tow mirrors for my 02. If your place tells you they are no longer made, look at a few other dealerships and you might find what you are looking for.<O</O
<O</O
Oh and on a side note – I would have that kids parents in court paying for my mirror anyways so you might as well go with OEM. Ask them for 300 bucks to replace the mirror and if they give you any grief, claim every little scratch on that side of the truck and take them to small claims. What ever happened to parents taking responsibility for the kid’s actions? And if by kids, you mean young adults who live on their own, treat them the same way… <O</O

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Agree with Diver Dan. OEM, I had aftermarkets that worked well for the price but on the highways the mirrors did a lot of vibrating. Upgraded to a set of OEM KingRanch mirrors now and they don't ever move. I would go OEM all the way. Bought mine off here for a great deal. Keep your eye out.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Things are looking up for my mirror situation. The renters (notice the upgrade from dirtbags) came over last night and looked me and my wife in the eyes and apologized for their actions last weekend.

Then, the best part, the guy who actually broke the mirror came over, apologized and offered to pay for the damages.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice!! Is always nice to have a calm ending to a stressful situation. And for somebody to do the right thing.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 PM
th67ss
Senior User
Don't throw that old mirror away. I could use one of the metal clips that hold the top mirror glass in. Mine was taken out by a foldable sigh that a semi kicked up.

Quick Reply: Broken towing mirror