Sponsored by: DP Tuner

LED Hideaways in reverse lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Hideaways in reverse lights?

Hey guys Im looking at putting in some LED Hidaways in my truck. When I went and look at all the spots I wanted them I could not find a spot in the reverse lights. There is some on the side but it seems to really close to where you bult the light in. Just wanted to know if anyone has put any hideaways in the reverse lights and if so where? If you have pictures that would be great!

Thanks

Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
strobes from the rear - YouTube

Mine are not LED but true strobes... 8 years they still work like new.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
You can see the fronts in this quick video...

Wreck on 126 8-10-12 - YouTube

Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
strobes from the rear - YouTube

Mine are not LED but true strobes... 8 years they still work like new.
Cool But where did you drill the hole to put them in?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
You can see the strobe in this video... Just to the right of the strobing reverse lights...

Blinky blinky retro Cree reverse lights - YouTube

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Ok thanks that is right where I was looking

Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Hey

Now I cant seem to figure out how to wire the switch I got so the light in the switch comes on when I turn the switch on. I have everything hooked up and the switch works but the light in the switch does not show that it is on.
The back of the switch it has 4 Prongs. So do I have to jump the output power to the other side and then ground it?
Here is the switch I got. 1pc Red light DPST OFF/ON Boat Car Rocker Switch RK1-06 Double pole single throw | eBay

Thanks

Old 10-13-2012, 04:22 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordtruck661
Hey

Now I cant seem to figure out how to wire the switch I got so the light in the switch comes on when I turn the switch on. I have everything hooked up and the switch works but the light in the switch does not show that it is on.
The back of the switch it has 4 Prongs. So do I have to jump the output power to the other side and then ground it?
Here is the switch I got. 1pc Red light DPST OFF/ON Boat Car Rocker Switch RK1-06 Double pole single throw | eBay

Thanks

With a lighted switch, generally you have power in, power out to accessory, and a ground for the light.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
With a lighted switch, generally you have power in, power out to accessory, and a ground for the light.
Yeah but this switch has 4 Prongs so i have the switch working off of 2 on one side and then I tried hooking a ground to both on the other side and it still does not light up. So Im thinking I need to send power to the other side and then ground it

something like the first picture on here http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...as/extras.html

Old 10-13-2012, 04:43 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
On a DPST(Dual Pole Single Throw)

You have 4 prongs to control dual poles as in 2 circuits, a DPST lighted switch should still have a ground to illuminate the light. It could have an LED though, and might require correct polarity. Have you tried changing the source and accessory wires?

Can you take of pic of the switch and how you have it wired, I'll look into the P/N from your link to see if I can see the configuration.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
I dont know how to post pictures.......but I have it wire like

Power in ........ Ground
Power out....... Ground

Old 10-13-2012, 05:07 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
There are a total of 4 places to hook wires to, correct?

If the switch is currently properly controlling the device, then swap the power in and power out. You can remove the grounds, unless you are switching grounds to the device as well.

If that's the case, and looking at the pics, it appears it is likely an LED illuminated switch.

With the switch straight up and down, the 2 different circuits that could be controlled will be 1 on the left(top and bottom) and one circuit on the right(top and bottom)

If you are only controlling one accessory, you don't need to worry about more than one circuit(pole).

With the switch properly oriented straight up and down, hook the power in to the top left(Should actually be in the middle of the switch), and the power out to the bottom right.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
There are a total of 4 places to hook wires to, correct?

If the switch is currently properly controlling the device, then swap the power in and power out. You can remove the grounds, unless you are switching grounds to the device as well.

If that's the case, and looking at the pics, it appears it is likely an LED illuminated switch.

With the switch straight up and down, the 2 different circuits that could be controlled will be 1 on the left(top and bottom) and one circuit on the right(top and bottom)

If you are only controlling one accessory, you don't need to worry about more than one circuit(pole).

With the switch properly oriented straight up and down, hook the power in to the top left(Should actually be in the middle of the switch), and the power out to the bottom right.
yes it has a total of 4 places to hook wires to.

Im not running the ground through the switch but dont I need a ground for the light in the switch to work?

and the switch work up and down on each side.

This is the hardest switch I have ever put in guess thats what I get for trying to get a switch that look good

Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
With only having 4 terminals, you likely don't need a ground to illuminate.

LED(Light Emitting Diode) will illuminate when they have current flowing through them in the correct direction(polarity) that's why I suggested swapping line and accessory wires as a possibility.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
hey guys I thought I would update y'all on why the switches were not working. Turns out the led is for AC not DC so I ended up pulling the LED out and went to radio shack and got a 5mm 12V red led and put it in where the other one was. It fit perfect I just wish the led was a little brighter. My plan is to make a 5 switch pannel in the truck and the hideaways should be in by this weekend.

Quick Reply: LED Hideaways in reverse lights?