1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Chopped '53-'55s

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 AM
Damian Kade
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't sure if I could just cut the cab at the roof seam and get enough movement to drop the front an inch or so. Do you think there is enough movement from the roof seam to make the chop? If so I may try that.
yeah i want to do the back window like you did as well, was glad to see your pics of it to know i'm not the only one out there that wants to do that. Were you able to find a window seal that fit or did you glue the rear window in. ( I have been trying to figure out how i would do that part.) And 1 piece side glass helps a lot with masking the cab lean.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Damian Kade
New User
EBEAR, do you have any more pics from your rear window project? inside pieces and such?

Old 05-21-2020, 12:39 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 578 Likes on 322 Posts
If you're going to fill the seam it wouldn't really matter if you took a little out . My guess would be if it was cut with a thicker cutoff wheel you would be good . I have not installed my window yet but you can buy bulk rubber seal so that's an option but I am considering urethane and different methods of using it .I don't recall how many pics I posted but here's all of them . The one thing I would do different is use a crimper and over lap the welded joint as even though there is a bodyline close it it was still quite flimsy and difficult to get solid .

2" cut out

drilled the spot welds on the brace

since the window needs to get wider to follow the cab line I cut it in the middle

cut with the outer cab line not straight down

the brace then needed to be a little wider also so drilled the spotwelds on the end pieces and rewelded

not a great pics but one of the filler pieces

only the end pieces left to make

all done

Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM
Damian Kade
New User
EBEAR, thanks for the added pics!!!! I started mine test run this weekend on a spare cab. Your pics were really helpful. I just have one more of the exterior pieces to fab. Made a piece that was long enough to do both sides but got a little overexcited and screwed up the first one so..... well had to use the other sides piece. Then I just need to tie it into the inner door structure. Did you end up needing to cut the inner structure in the corner to get a little adjustment?

Old 05-26-2020, 07:53 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
If your referring to the brace that runs along the bottom of the window on the inside , the very end pieces are also spot welded so I drilled them and moved the accordingly .

Old 05-26-2020, 08:59 AM
Damian Kade
New User
yeah i got them all apart haven't fit them in yet, maybe tonight after work, then maybe starting on the chop this weekend. So how is the rest of your truck coming along

Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Very slowly . The unfortunate part of doing this for a living gets in the way . I'm still hoping that the cab gets back on the frame this summer . I have decided to drive it without paint for at least 1 season so that definitely helps . I was hoping to wire the basic cab " dash and firewall have been painted " and then put it back on the frame for the last time after I redesign the x member , rear trans mount and put the exhaust on .

Old 06-29-2020, 06:56 AM
Damian Kade
New User
Hey EBEAR, Thanks for the info, got my test cab work started, coming along pretty well. working on finishing up my doors. but the back window went pretty well. don't know if I will end up chopping my actual cab but still a good learning experience. the second pic is my actual truck cab next to the test cab, def a huge difference

Old 06-29-2020, 10:17 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
From the pic it looks like you shaved the drip rail and used that seam for your join along the front which is the same conclusion I came to . What did you do on the inside ?

Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 AM
Damian Kade
New User
Yeah I figured just removing a strip below the drip rail would be easier but I like the drip rail over the doors and not over the windshield and usually when the drip rail is removed they leave the odd body like so I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone. I haven't done the inside yet, working on the door tops at the moment. But I did cut the inner structure in half and plan on putting it back in, it will hopefully just be an inch shorter and then installing the roof support back in place. if this was my actual cab i intend to use I would round the corner of the door and bring the drip rail down the pillar about 1-2 inches to keep the functionality of the drip rail

Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Man I love this thread. Thanks for sharing the pics guys.
I'm a dyed in the wool '56 guy but have a '54 stashed back for a one-day build, maybe with one of my boys.
Almost certain I'll do these mods to the slant cab. Printing and filing this one into the build file.
JML

Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Damian Kade
New User
Thanks Jon, is that 56 coe yours? That is a dream truck!!!!! I will post some more pics soon hopefully, but we have been making good progress on my actual truck thats at a friends shop so hopefully it will be back at my house soon so the next week will be spent cleaning the garage to make space then work on the spare cab. I bought the 53, then found I preferred the 56 after I got to know them but with just a few mods I am really loving the truck again. I think this one might stay with me for quite a while

Old 09-21-2020, 07:50 AM
Damian Kade
New User
Hey EBEAR, thought you might get a kick out of this, I was a little worried about starting the work on my actual cab so I did a few smaller things to keep myself feeling warmed up. Was worried the practice cab might have been beginners luck so I made the glove box door wider and got rid of the ash tray, filled a few homes in the dash and about 100 holes under the dash. (evidently the previous owner felt that was where every screw needed to be placed to hold any and everything) but it came out great, now for the long part of cleaning up the welds. EBEAR, what did you use for your actual window install?

Old 09-21-2020, 08:15 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 481 Likes on 315 Posts
I have filled many a ash tray but never thought to widen the glove box door...nice work. Here is the last slant cab I did, used one of Mid-Fifty's dash panels to cover all the sins of previous owners...and the ash tray.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:11 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Sorry DK been busy . Not much progress on mine and probably won't be as my coupe had a little mishap and the paint job it needed anyway will be pushed up to this winter instead of next . I am hoping to come up with a method to urethane the glass in leaving the glass edge open with no molding similar to newer gm truck rear windows .

Quick Reply: Chopped '53-'55s