Looking for some education

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
wizardpc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Looking for some education

<--note post count

I've got a 99 Cherokee that I dearly love, but it's almost time to move on. About 5 years ago I was standing outside a store with a friend and a blacked out diesel Excursion with about a 4" lift roared by.

I had never seen something so beautiful in my life.

Unfortunately, I had other financial priorities and a 30 mile one-way commute, and even with diesel at $2.50 it wasn't gonna happen. But now things are different.

I'm putting my house on the market next spring. As soon as it sells (probably end of summer), I'm moving closer to work. At that point, I'd like to buy one.

Here's the thing: My company just announced they are moving downtown in 3 years. There is no way I'll be able to park the Excursion once I get there, to say nothing of the return of the 30 mile one way commute in stop and go traffic*. So I've really got a small window where this vehicle makes sense in my life.

I've just started doing my research. My use case is basically commuter. I don't plan on towing or hauling anything. I have a wife, one kid, and a 90lb dog that loves riding in the car. I have no reason to buy this. I do have a rule about only buying 4WD if it's an option, so there's that.

I kinda want a diesel just to have the option of doing a veggie conversion, but history tells me I won't actually do it. I'm price AND mileage sensitive, but less mileage sensitive than most people. I bought my Jeep with 92,000 miles on it and my wife's TaurusX had 106k on it. I ain't skeered of a 6 digit odo. I understand what buying a vehicle that was discontinued nearly a decade ago entails.

But I'm not paying $18,000 for something with 233,000 miles on it. I just can't. Don't have it in me to wrap my brain around that. So any of the diesels might be out unless I can find a smokin deal.

How are the gas engines? Do I need to completely avoid one or the other?

Any years I should stay away from? Is there a generally recognized "best" combo I should look for?

I met a gentleman this weekend who let me sit in his Excursion since I hadn't had that opportunity. He also told me about the propensity for the front leafs to sag to the point of inversion. What else should I watch out for?

Thanks!

*Moving to be closer to the new office is not an option--Nashville schools are terrible, and you can't afford private school after you pay your ridiculously high property taxes.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just do a little searching around the threads and you can find all the answers to your questions. I for one love my 7.3 and am so glad I found her. I got mine with a little over 200k miles. You can find low mileage X's out there, of course they are getting harder to find. Be patient and the right one will come along.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wizardpc

How are the gas engines? Do I need to completely avoid one or the other?
The gas engines have proven to by just as reliable as the diesels with much less maintenance required although they do drink more. Most on here agree that the gas V8 just isn't enough motor for a vehicle this size. A V10 Excursion can be had MUCH cheaper (half price on the older Excursions) than a diesel and is still plenty powerful. A V10 Excursion with the optional 4.30:1 gears (instead of the stock 3.73:1 gears) is even better.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
tims01
Elder User
Originally Posted by wizardpc

I've just started doing my research. My use case is basically commuter. I don't plan on towing or hauling anything. I have a wife, one kid, and a 90lb dog that loves riding in the car. I have no reason to buy this. I do have a rule about only buying 4WD if it's an option, so there's that.

But I'm not paying $18,000 for something with 233,000 miles on it. I just can't. Don't have it in me to wrap my brain around that. So any of the diesels might be out unless I can find a smokin deal.
so basikly you have no use for this what so ever .. go find something cheap and small to comute in and drive around in .. buy excursion as a play weekend toy .. as for that add you linked in here .. that is a pretty good deal if it is in good condition .. up here in the PNW 4x4 v10 goes for that and diesel goes for 20+

Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
FWIW, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around 18K for that truck too. As always, whatever the market will bear.

Agree on the weekend toy. Find a lower priced V-10 and you'll have a good time for not too much $$$.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
tims01
Elder User
or buy the small v8 version then swap the motor for a cumins

Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure you should get one based on your needs. I dont say that lightly or often!

The only other things that can justify this are 1) you just GOTTA have one and/or 2) lifestyle choice (for instance I am 6'6" and several others in this forum are very tall also).

Like you, I have no earthly need for this except that I just really really really wanted one AND the fact that I am so big this really fits my body LIKE A GLOVE.

You need to know that the V10 is VERY thirsty.......like 9mpg thirsty and Im not kidding. The diesels get way better mileage and if I could go back in time thats what I would buy. V10 is a great engine....strong and reliable, dont get me wrong. Just more thirsty than even a well prepared Ex buyer could anticipate.

Weigh this decision carefully. If your heart is in it, then buying one will be one of the happiest things you have ever done. Just read through the posts and see how much people realy like owning and driving these big beasts of burden!

Best of luck, and please always feel welcome to ask questions and get input. There is surely NO shortage of opinions here.

Sincerely,
Karl

Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Take a short trip to Texas and get that same X for $4000 less...

Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what we did. We are expecting our first child soon and have two 50 lb dogs. My trailblazer won't accommodate all of us plus our stuff. I'm 6'7". It was either excursion or suburban. Oddly enough comparable suburbans were more expensive. I went v10 vs diesel because if something goes wrong at least with gas engine I'll have a fighting chance at fixing it.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Take a short trip to Texas and get that same X for $4000 less...
I'll tell you if its worth the drive to Austin in a couple of weeks when I get back

Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
you might be surprised how easy these beasts can be to park with a little bit of skill and practice. ive had people stop walking and watch me park backwards in tight parking lots.
as for engines each engine is very reliable but have their own inherant weaknesses and strengths. the diesels especially the 6.0 are much more demanding in regards to maintenance and service but, if taken care of will last for hundreds of thousands of km/miles. gassers are very thirsty but more forgiving with minimal major flaws. if your serious on a diesel, spend the couple grand and get all the major flaws (mostly 6.0L) fixed if they havent and do all your fluid changes and you can expect great things.
go to the v10, 6.0L, and 7.3L sub forums and do some digging to find out whats best for you and what you can handle.
these truck can be incredibly reliable and engine aside, common issues are door lock actuators, leaf spring sag, and sometimes electricals like the overhead console. it has awesome solid axles a great drivetrain and chassis with plenty of room and comfort. plus 166 liters of passing every gas station for a week no worries!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i know the feeling of buying a excursion just because you want one. i was 19 when i bought my first one and i had wanted one since i was a child and they come to market. dream come true some would say.

for your needs or lack there of? it sounds as though a V10 would fit the bill better. yes they drink gas. i was ready for this when i bought my first one. btw i'm now on my third V10 excursion lol i see 8-10 city and 10-14 highway. mine is a daily driver..i can park it anywhere just takes alittle getting used to.

good luck with your choice!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Turfzilla
Tuned
Like a lot of people on here I bought one because I wanted to, not really out of need. I looked for over 6 months.

I do frequently tow a 9000 lb boat and a jeep. My 09 F-150 handles the job ok. I just wanted a diesel for a change. I know I could have bought 2 gasser for what a 7.3 cost, but again I was buying a diesel and wanted a SUV. I have owned a v-10 before (05 F-250 4x4) I hated it, and said I would never own a v-10 again even though it probably makes for sence for me. I was getting 7.5 towing, 10 around town and 13 on the highway, with the smallish tank in the truck i was getting just over 200 miles around town. You dont drive by many gas staions with that kind of range.

With all that said, the diesel does scare the hell of me - one major repair and I'm buried in the vehicle. This is my first diesel. I got a decent deal on it and know I should be able to get out of it and not lose much $$ unless I have a huge repair bill..

I'm not sure what it is about these Excursions, but they draw you in. I have always liked them.

I actually drove down and picked mine up in Hendersonville, TN a few weeks ago. I see you are from Nashville.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM
wizardpc
New User
Thanks gentlemen!

It sounds like my best plan is to buy a V10 and use the money saved vs the 7.3 to buy a small commuter

With the Jeep Cherokees, it's common to try to park next to another one if given the chance. I think with an Excursion, it'll be hard to pass up an opportunity to park next to a Prius (Or the Nissan Leaf, which we have a TON of mostly due to Nissan HQ being nearby).

Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Don't forget to get the "hybrid" personalized plate, so you fit in when parked between the prius and the leaf.

Quick Reply: Looking for some education