Sponsored by: Moser

This is exactly whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM
999yards
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is exactly whats wrong

Hey guys, I replaced my distributor a week ago because it was starting to wear out points and breaker plate had excessive play when adjusting said points. So I figured I'd replace it with a reman distributor from Oreilly's( Cardone brand), a new ign coil. The distributor comes with preinstalled points/condensor, so thought I was good. I adjusted points gap upon install. I did this on a Sunday. Test drove it and ran like a champ, then on monday and tuesday it ran great back and forth to work. Stopped and got gas tuesday evening, drove it home and parked for the day. On Wednseday morning, started it up ran great for about 3 miles, then cough, spit, sputter....Let off the throttle a little and it smoothed out. limped it like this the other 2 miles to my work. Parked it and it ran smooth @ idle, but give it throttle and it missed like crazy! After work, I went to the nearest auto parts store and replaced the cap/rotor, NO CHANGE.. So my coworker followed me home, it ran like crap. It was sputtering and missing the whole time, almost dying at stops. Had to rev it up aand feather the gas to keep it running whole time. Finally got home. My buddy seemed to think it was a fuel issue due to the consistency of issue. Maybe bad gas the evening before when I filled up. So went to parts store, got the carb filter( Motorcraft2150) and a glass inline filter and replaced those. Fuel looked clean, guy @ parts store recommended Seafoam instead of Heet, so I went with his choice.$6 more for seafoam.....But no change in way it ran. I tried starting it and it starts up fine but dies within a 10 seconds. My mechanic brother came over and immediatley noticed I had wired new coil backwards, so I brought that one back and replaced it, wiring it corectly.Still no change. I took a break. Then back at it, got it to start up and idle smooth for about 5 minutes, I thought WTH!?.... So I took it for a test drive up and down the highway. NO issues, ran like a champ,didn't skipp a beat or miss during stops. Made it back home safe. Maybe I did get something in the carb from tank.... I figured I'd go back out after dinner and start it back up and see how it does. It started right up and BAM, 10 seconds later, it started skipping/missing, sputters and dies! WTH!? Not again!..... Started right up again and still sputtering, give it gas and dies....

This was taken from another forum but is exactly whats happened to my 73 Ranger with 302.

You guys think this is just bad gas?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Okay, this is really confusing. You're saying the entire thing you just posted is actually from another forum? Which parts of that apply to your situation - the whole thing, or just the symptoms? Did you replace your distributor prior to all of this happening? Or is that just part of the original post? Or is this your original post on another forum?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
1975MudRat
Post Fiend
2x on that its kinda confusing.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
I would check the canuter valve.. Or possibly the timing gremlin got cranky?

Dude... be more descriptive or at least tell us what is going on with YOUR vehicle..

Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 PM
keller1980
Freshman User
id check for these 1 rust or pinholes in the fuel line 2didnt tighten down distibutor parts 3 stretched timing chain 4 bad fuel pump 5 loose nut at the wheel 6 running on the front tank that you didnt fill up (happens)7 centrifugal spring detached (if installed)

Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
1975MudRat
Post Fiend
HAHA number 6 kills me. **** happens! Can't count on one hand how many times thats happened to me!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
1977mudrat - you need to fix your sig. A 390 is not a 7.5l engine, that is a 460.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 PM
1975MudRat
Post Fiend
HAHA I just realized that I did a motor swap and all I changed was the C.I. good thing you noticed...I wander how many other people have seen that and never said anything!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Gotta love that big block power I have a 429 in my highboy.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 PM
1975MudRat
Post Fiend
I wanna build that 460 to a 521 HAHA! It'll be fun!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 AM
999yards
Freshman User
Obviously should have been more detailed. Been searching for answers before posting a question here. Found a post by someone else, don't even know what site its from, who has the exact same symptoms in his truck as I have in mine. I have not put on a new distributor or used sea foam. I have put on a new coil, plugs, points, condensor, fuel filter.

Note* the last time I worked with it ie; cleaned carb completely out, checked timing, adjusted with vaccum gauge (19psi steady no needle bouncing) It ran great lots of power. Ran for about 35 minutes, parked it, tried to start it up three days later and BAM back to the above symptoms but will bearely idle.

BTW some of the smart *** comments were pretty funny and looking back deserved I guess. But, 1977 mudrat you really think #6 is funny enough to post about? Thats pretty sad. I bet you and your buddies are awesome.

77mudrat please don't offer any advice. Go do something cool like shell beans and watch some more hee haw with your buddies.

Loose nut behind the wheel will always be a classic though.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Wow dude.. really? You are going to ask us for help, and then insult the guys that are willing to try and help you? Maybe you should consider keeping your mouth shut until your post-count is higher than your IQ? Maybe in the 100 range? Actually contribute to our group, and MAYBE I will consider helping you. Until then, **** off.

Newbies shouldn't be allowed to post new threads until they have been granted permission by the admins for contributing...

Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 AM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by big-ugly
Wow dude.. really? You are going to ask us for help, and then insult the guys that are willing to try and help you? Maybe you should consider keeping your mouth shut until your post-count is higher than your IQ? Maybe in the 100 range? Actually contribute to our group, and MAYBE I will consider helping you. Until then, **** off.

Newbies shouldn't be allowed to post new threads until they have been granted permission by the admins for contributing...
Wow, everyone relax and take a deep breath. This isnt the fraternal order of Elks or the Masonic lodge, there is no "us" or "them", nor initiation rights, yet.

To the OP, #6 referred to putting gas in the wrong tank on a dual tank setup. If you have a faulty selector valve, issues similar to that are a real possibility. I interpreted Mudrat's post to mean he had done this himself before and was laughing at himself.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
You go ahead and deal with this guy Bama. He's all yours.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by big-ugly
You go ahead and deal with this guy Bama. He's all yours.

Someone else may still want to chime in or am I the only one allowed to now? If so, I'll give him the sEcrEt password tomorrow.

Quick Reply: This is exactly whats wrong