Notices

Changing color's

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 07:58 AM
big1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing color's

Yesterday I replaced the door panel's, map pocket's, crash pad , A post cover's and kick panel's on my son-in-law's 83 F100. Is there a spray coating that I can apply to the rest of the dash that will coordinate with what I have replaced. His interior was red and the replacment part's are biue. I got all the blue part's for free.
I have used spray product's in the past that didn't work so good, they blistered within 3 month's. Are the newer product's any better? If so which product's?
I already know that regular spray paint doesn't work very well.

Last edited by big1; 05-17-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Changing color's

I go to a NAPA Automotive paint & supplies store for Vinyl Dye.

I use the *Preval* spray system to apply it.

You will need to clean and prep all the parts before restoration of colour.

There further directions in the appearance forum.

Due to the fact that this thread is not 80-86 truck related, it will be moved to the appearance forum.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:29 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Changing color's

A company called Just Dashes (www.justdashes.com) should have what you're looking for. They have a vinyl dye called fade away that will let you change the color of your dash (or any other vinyl part).

Old 05-17-2003, 11:46 PM
big1
Senior User
Changing color's

Thank's for your help guy's. At the moment it look's real "Tacky", but at least it isn't full of hole's and crack's.

Old 05-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Fordtrucktexan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing color's

I had good luck with Duplicolor vynil/uphosltry spray paint on the floor of my 89', check out my gallery. It holds up very well but doesn't like being Armor-all'd.

We had the same situation in dad's truck, the interior was grey until the dashboard cracked and we swapped it with a blue one. From there we bought the whole blue interior out of a wrecked 87' Lariat except the door panels, they had already been swiped. So we painted the grey ones with Plasti-kote vynil/plastic spray paint. BIG MISTAKE... the paint leaves a rough feel (looks smooth though) and where the door panels meet the trim below the dash, it's blistering and peeling bad. We're still looking locally for blue door panels out of a Lariat that had crank windows, dad likes the cloth insert.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:57 AM
big1
Senior User
Changing color's

I'm glad to here that " Duplicolor" work's well, because my local "NAPA" want's a fortune for the stuff they sell. I can get the "Duplicolor at WalMart. Thank's