6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Use of courtesy time out

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by maltesecross
Im going to install my upfitter switches this morning. If i have time, Have to wash the whip before installing my running board lights.

Now after seeing your pics, got me wondering if i should have went with a different color light. I bought the amber as well, but thinking the gray metallic paint on my truck might not look as good. Wonder what it would look like if they were mounted on the underside of the door jam??

5 days straight of rain is killin my free time!
I wonder if the white ones wouldn't look better with your grey truck. I went with the amber myself, mainly because of the other amber lights (turn signals) that come on, and somewhat because of the color of my truck. I had a difficult time deciding where to mount mine, I thought about mounting them under the door jam when I had the nerf bars on, but decided against it when I removed the nerf bars and put the running boards on. I like the looks of the lights from the side as they are, but I think it would look real good either way. I understand about the weather, we have 6" of snow on the ground, and 5 degs now.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madsonp
Did any of you other guys participating in this thread ever get your lights mounted ? Would sure like to see what you did.
You have PM. Thanks

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Hdslider
You have PM. Thanks
I answered your PM.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 AM
maltesecross
Freshman User

Originally Posted by madsonp
I wonder if the white ones wouldn't look better with your grey truck. I went with the amber myself, mainly because of the other amber lights (turn signals) that come on, and somewhat because of the color of my truck. I had a difficult time deciding where to mount mine, I thought about mounting them under the door jam when I had the nerf bars on, but decided against it when I removed the nerf bars and put the running boards on. I like the looks of the lights from the side as they are, but I think it would look real good either way. I understand about the weather, we have 6" of snow on the ground, and 5 degs now.
Its freggin 73deg here today, i feel for you...lol

Yeah well... I went out just now to start my project and realized i ordered the wrong length. I seemed to have gotten the 39" what the heck was i thinkun?

Which length did u order? Seems like u need the 196" length and more than one pre-wired end to connect it up. Do you know if they sell waterproof ends to connect 2 strips together? This could get a lot more pricey...

Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM
madsonp
Its freggin 73deg here today, i feel for you...lol

Yeah well... I went out just now to start my project and realized i ordered the wrong length. I seemed to have gotten the 39" what the heck was i thinkun?

Which length did u order? Seems like u need the 196" length and more than one pre-wired end to connect it up. Do you know if they sell waterproof ends to connect 2 strips together? This could get a lot more pricey...
73, must be nice, I just went out to try to start the four wheeler to plow some snow but the battery was dead so I have to wait till it charges up. Yes, I did order the 196" ones then cut them to length. They don't sell the water proof ends to connect two strips together per se. What you do is strip the coating off, solder your ends together then seal it with some silicone, then when thats dried, put some heat shrink tubing over it. They have a video that can give you some help, if you click on the photos/videos tab its towards the bottom of the page. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...0/1991/#images

I think if I were you I'd just order the 196" ones and cut them to fit so you wouldn't have a splice in them, then use the 39" ones some place else, say behind the grill or something. When you cut them, you'll have to add some wire leads to one of them but you just basically do the same thing with the silicone and heat shrink tubing to seal them. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM
madsonp
Something else I plan on doing is, that I have about a 4' piece of the white ones left over from the install I did in my topper. I think I'm going to take them and mount it under the hood, similar to what RM2012F350 did mentioned earlier in this tread, that'll be activated with the existing tilt switch. I also have about a 3' piece left over of the amber ones that I'd like to do something with, I might mount them behind the grill like I mentioned earlier, and tap into the headlight wiring but I haven't decided yet. It's way to cold outside right now to do much of anything.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 PM
madsonp
Well, I got the battery charged on the 4 wheeler, and the road plowed, all is good now in Montana.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM
maltesecross
Freshman User

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...wCat&catId=101
I ordered my strip lights from this site. The major difference i found is they dont seem to carry a large selection of backround colored strips.

Ended up going with the white lights mounted under the door sill. I used Madsonp's advise utilizing the courtesy timeout prewired under the frame rail. Very happy with the light output. You cannot see the actual strip from the side of the truck, which is the look I was going for.So far the adhesive seems to be sticking well, tho i just installed them last night. Only time will tell there.

Attached Images   

Last edited by maltesecross; 01-23-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: bum link
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 AM
madsonp
Looks great, I kind of thought the adhesive on the lights would adhere to the smooth surface well, the ones I put in my topper on the window frames have adhered real well to the smooth aluminum surface and have seemed to get a stronger adhesion as time goes on. The ones I've put on my plastic running boards have stuck good on one side but I've had some issues with this on the other side. I'm suspecting that it's due mostly to the temperature when I installed them, it was about 35 degs out when I did it, or it could be because of the texture of the running boards themselves. I've since pulled them off and tried a different 3M double sided tape (the tape that's used to hold molding on) and this seems to be holding much better even though it's still cold up here in Montana which is to be expected this time of year. I'd recommend that anyone applying these do so when you have temps over 50 degs to insure better adhesion which I'm sure Maltesecross had being in Louisiana. I'm still waiting to see what everyone else in this thread has done.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Dan in Sunny FL
Freshman User
www.LEDwholesalers.com
I ordered my strip lights from this site. The major difference i found is they dont seem to carry a large selection of backround colored strips.

Ended up going with the white lights mounted under the door sill. I used Madsonp's advise utilizing the courtesy timeout prewired under the frame rail. Very happy with the light output. You cannot see the actual strip from the side of the truck, which is the look I was going for.So far the adhesive seems to be sticking well, tho i just installed them last night. Only time will tell there.
Those are sharp with the step!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
www.LEDwholesalers.com

Looks nice. The one reason i went with the superbrights is. theres are rated 9.0volts to 14.8 volts. Where as most others only state 12.0 volts.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Hdslider
Looks nice. The one reason i went with the superbrights is. theres are rated 9.0volts to 14.8 volts. Where as most others only state 12.0 volts.
Mine were the superbrights also, I chose them for the same reason as well as other reasons. The wider voltage range is really something you'd want due to the potential of swings in the voltage you can see in a vehicle.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Madsonp. Absolutely without a doubt.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
madsonp
Something else you'll want to make sure you do is run the wires in some wire loom to protect them, then make sure you run the wires as close to the vehicle as possible and zip tie them real well. I made a small bracket to help accomplish this that's attached to an existing bolt that penetrated the floor of the truck. Those of you who live in the northern climate like myself know how snow and ice can accumulate on things like this, doing this can help minimize that potential. Here's a photo showing how I ran mine.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
madsonp
Got the under hood LED lights installed today, I used some that I had leftover from the ones I installed in my topper and hooked them into the existing tilt switch. Boy what a difference compared to the stock bulb, they really light things up.

Quick Reply: Use of courtesy time out