Sponsored by:

Snow tires on 4x4 Ex or chains?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Agapemou
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 4x2 Excursion which I love but am thinking about upgrading to a 4x4 because I want to be able to drive in the mountains when it snows here in So Ca and other places. Here is my question. In California when the snow gets to a certain depth they do not allow vehicles to pass unless they have chains OR 4x4 and snow tires. Is this the case in other parts of the country? Is 4x4 with snow tires always allowed in place of chains or do some places still require chains to pass. I do not want to have to put chains on my EX.
Second question: what qualifies as snow tires? IS there a marking on the tire indicating that it qualifies? And do the "all terrain" tires that come with the 4x4 constitute snow tires?
Thanks a million for the information!

Old 05-15-2003, 12:12 PM
crewsr
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about California laws, But the Wyoming chain law has kept me from traveling the snowy mountain roads in the past.
I recently had to use chains for my Ex while in Colorado. I couldn't have gotten around without them. Snow was 26+ inches deep. I have stock size tires, but I have the Michelin LTX M/S. I was able to get around well till I got into the real deep stuff. (I was pulling a trailer too) As for what qualifies one to get by without chains I don't know. Some one else will have to answer that question. I've learned that in the mountains, sometimes, it's better to put the chains on the front drive wheels instead of the rear. The thought was "it's easier to pull yourself around than to push..." I hope I've helped you make a better decision. By the way, I put a couple of my snow pictures in my gallery. Check them out.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:04 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

When I lived in Washington State, if the chains required sign was up you had better have chains, or a 4x4 with M/S rated tires, not all season.
I would recomend M/S rated tires and then carry chains for safety. I have only had to chain up my 4x4 a couple of times otherwise I couldn't get out of the fun I had gotten myself into.
Get the 4x4 X and have fun!!
Pat