General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Building a simple go kart

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got another news flash for ya -

Never try to weld a frame up out of galvanized water pipe!

1) It bends
2) It's almost impossible to get a solid weld on it.

Nine times out of ten it will just get big holes flashed through it, with an ugly yellow discoloration caused by the plating contaminating the weld.

Once I begin tinkering for a living (ten months to go!!!) I'm thinking about building an off-road kart with a fiberglass truck body... Probably gut the rear axles and wheels right out of a honda atc, and give it a 400cc dirt bike engine.

Ah... Insanity! A great way of life.

Last edited by Greywolf; 05-19-2003 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 AM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welding galvanized steel produces a poisonous gas. That's the best reason for not welding it, at least without fresh-air respiration. It's possible, but not practical...

The best part about the dirt bike engine is that it's light, and it has its own transmission attached to it. CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCHES are for snowmobiles and mini-bikes. Build a shifter. They're way more fun.
And here's a safety alert for you: do not skimp on your wheel bearings if your kart is fast. I was riding my dad's kart right after he "finished" it, and I got going very fast, when suddenly the bearing in the front left wheel exploded, sending me skidding at 30 mph. I was lucky it didn't flip. When I asked him what kind of bearing he had in there, he said, "Wheelbarrow, I think..."
Dummaas
He has since replaced the bearings with good high-speed bearings.

Also, there are tons of things you can use to build a custom frame. Go to the grocery store and see if they have any broken down stock carts; you know, the big tubular steel low-riding carts they stack boxes on. Shopping carts work good, too, especially for small tubing. My dad even used an old public bike rack he found at the dump. And he used an air-tank from a small air compressor for the gas tanks.
BDV

Old 05-20-2003, 09:58 AM
jbalestri
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get odd pipe from just about any pipe and pump supply store. Usually they either sell it by the pound, or by the foot and it is extremely affordable.

Secondly, you probably want schedule 40 tubing. Schedule 80 is much stronger, but twice as heavy because the wall is twice as thick. I made a pair of nerf bars out of schedule 80, 4" tubing. Each one almost weighed 45 lbs.

On the note of galvanized water pipes, they can be welded, but they are not meant to take the forces of a kart. They are meant to carry water. Same thing with fence posts, they are not strong enough. The gas from welding galvanized material is a zinc gas, and will make you sick. We weld galvanized material everyday, it can be done, it isn't that hard.

So, get black steel, schedule 40 minimum, tubing. After it is all welded, you can apply an undercoat paint, or something like that to prevent rust. Or you can go to a specialty paint place and buy Galvalume, or a zinc rich primer. This will give you the equivalent corrosion protection of galvanized pipe. Well, pretty close to it anyway.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Fordzlla
Elder User

I always thought an air-cooled snowmobile would make a good starting point for a go-kart. Light, powerful engine, simple belt driven transmission with chain final drive with integrated disk brake.
Of course the frame would have to be fabricated from scratch, but the steering and even IFS could be adapted, depending on the model.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:46 PM
Red_EB_Bronco
Senior User

well, I was thinking of making a go-kart as well, I pulled a 5.75hp engine off of a lawnmower(it works just fine). Could I use the the engine or would I have to get one thats side-shafted, or could I just turn the engine sideways and just move the gas tank elsewhere.

Old 05-20-2003, 09:03 PM
fast frank 66
Senior User

you wouldn't be able to just turn that motor on it's side, it wouldn't get the proper lubrication and seize up on you.

me and a friend built a mini bike. yesterday we clocked it at 63mph. we are getting a larger diameter rear tire to increase the speed a little. we also have a racing cam to put in the engine.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:27 AM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you flip a vertical shaft engine on its side then oil won't flow which = bad like Frank said. Best place for a side shaft engine is either a roto tiller (gardening tool) or a small generator. Those would be the two best places to get a side shaft engine.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:05 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster

I read some posts on some cart building websites where some guys have and do use the non-side shaft motors for their carts. They had to use gears and extra shafts to turn a horizontal shaft. According to them it worked just fine. Though I would suspect some power loss with all the extra gears and shafts.

I'm also getting my mental plans together for my cart. I will use some of the same design ideas from ebay and other online sites to make some of my parts. I also check out the carts at Walmart and the hardware store to get ideas. My son is 17mos old and I plan to build a small two seater for us. I've got the motor(3hp) and the chain is on the way. The 5/8 clutch will come from the local mower shop.($25) And I'll be using 3/4" or 1" square tubing for the frame. I was thinking about using the cheapo $4 wheelbarrow type wheels from Harbor Freight. I figure for a 3hp cart that those wheel bearings might hold up just fine? What do you think?

Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 PM
NoviceWelder
New User
I am making an off road go kart out of 1 in 14 gauge square steel tubing. I just finished the frame with 60 foot of steel in it. I bought a 600cc snowmobile and am putting that engine in it. I have 30 in tires to put on it but need to find some five bolt hubs, any suggestions on what old car to get them off?

Old 09-15-2005, 08:47 PM
NoviceWelder
New User
Sorry cigarxtc for changing the subject. What kind of engine is it?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:35 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I actually built a go kart out of an ol 31 chevy car frame, worked pretty well, and I only had a ten horse kohler on it too!

Old 09-17-2005, 08:31 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back in the late '60s a neighbor and his friend built a go-kart from a store bought frame and a BSA 650 Bonneville engine!!

That thing would FLY!!!!! They worked out the cables, linkage, etc. I dunno how they did it, but, man. . . . I woulda loved to have ridden it.
(They said I was too young. . . . .) Ha!

Old 09-18-2005, 01:30 PM
NoviceWelder
New User
was it hard to fab the chevy frame?

Old 09-18-2005, 11:09 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Easy, and since it was old and i didnt really care about it, you can do all the cutting and rewelding ya like!

Old 09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I'll try to get a pick of my neighbors kart so you have a guide to go by. its an older one, and made of round tube mostly.

I think a square-bar plan would be more up to date. Two main fore-and-aft rails, with cross rails and at least one diagonal. Use smaller tube for the sides and sheet metal. Build up a roll cage if you want to.

I recommend one or two two-stroke engines if you want it to be fast.

Quick Reply: Building a simple go kart